Bits: ignore Radisson’s 30% points rebate on transfers, earn Hilton points with Lyft, American Airlines / Hyatt status matching

News in brief:

Radisson Rewards offering 30% bonus on transfers to miles – ignore it

Radisson Rewards is running a promotion to encourage you to transfer your points to airline miles.  You should ignore it.

As you can see on this page of their website, you will get a 30% points rebate if you transfer your points to miles before 26th May.

The transfer rate from Radisson Rewards to most airlines, including Avios, is 10:1. With this promotion, the rate is 7:1.  It still stinks.

I would value a Radisson Rewards points at 0.33p, and you can easily do better at peak times.  I generally value airline miles at 1p.

On the basis, a ‘fair’ ratio between Radisson Rewards and airline miles would be 3:1.  Since I accept that the scheme does not want to encourage you to transfer to airlines, since it costs them ‘real’ money, I would have accepted 5:1.

10:1, however, is a joke and 7:1 is only slightly better.  You are still giving up over 2p of free hotel room for 1p of airline miles.

This promotion isn’t even any use if you want to use up a small pile of Radisson Rewards points.  You are not getting a 30% discount …. you’re getting a 30% rebate.  If you have 6,000 points to use up, you will receive the standard 600 Avios but you’ll get 1,800 Radisson Rewards back later.  Which is useless, because you are trying to use them up!

If I still haven’t talked you out of it, the landing page is here.

Earning Radisson Rewards points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These include:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points (= 30,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points (= 90,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points (= 15,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

It is worth noting that holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Gold status for as long as they hold the card.  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate.  The cards above all earn 1 Amex point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.

Radisson Rewards transfer bonus to airline miles

Earn Hilton Honors points on Lyft rides

If you find yourself in the US needing to get somewhere, Lyft may appeal to you. The company has not expanded quite as aggressively as Uber but it remains the second largest ride-hailing company in North America.

In an unusual but not unwelcome move, Hilton and Lyft have decided to join forces. The partnership allows Hilton Honors members to earn points on their Lyft rides, and appears to be a long-term program.  You will earn 3 points per $1 spent on Lyft rides and 2 points per $1 on Lyft shared rides, up to a maximum $10,000 of Lyft spend annually.  Later this year you will also be able to redeem Hilton Honors points for Lyft credit.  Points will arrive in your Hilton Honors account within 24 hours.

To make use of this offer, you must link your accounts on the special partnership site here.  Once connected the process is automatic and points should start appearing in your Hilton Honors account.

If you are new to Lyft, you will receive $5 off your first three rides if you sign up via this Hilton page.  Do NOT sign up immediately, however, as the credit must be used within 30 days of signing up and linking your accounts.

The offer is valid only for Lyft rides taken in the US and Canada.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Hilton Honors Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Lyft and Hilton partner to offer Honors points to riders

American Airlines and Hyatt status partnership

American Airlines and Hyatt have just launched a partnership between their two loyalty schemes, but you need to be an elite member to benefit.

This new partnership will allow elite members to earn either bonus AAdvantage Miles at Hyatt properties and Hyatt points on American Airlines flights.  You must hold Gold status with AAdvantage or Discoverist status with World of Hyatt to be eligible to link your accounts.

Additionally, both companies have made it easier for elite members to match their AA and Hyatt status. If you hold American Airlines invite-only Concierge Key status you will receive Hyatt Globalist status free. Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be able to gain Hyatt status at an accelerated rate.

It will also be possible for World of Hyatt status holders to accelerate AAdvantage status, although the details of this are not yet clear.  You can find out more on aa.com here.

Good KLM Business Class sale from UK (inc regional departures) from £1400
Our review of the three lounges at Leeds Bradford Airport - which is best?

IHG

Comments

1. Hey, totally OT, sorry.
    I know Iberia CS / complaints dept isn’t supposed to be the best, but does anyone have any advice on which way to contact them in order to get a swift, helpful response? Had a pretty awful experience on board last night.
    TIA

2. Matt B says:

Lyft regularly offer me “25% off your next 10 rides” type offers and personally have had a better experience of them over uber so the Hilton tie up will be handy.

• Stu_N says:

+1 on better offers and quality of cars and drivers with Lyft.

It’s usually worth having accounts with both Lyft and Uber and checking both. Standard pricing is often the same but if Uber is on surge, Lyft may not be and vice versa.

• Matt B says:

I find most drivers work for both, but on my recent trip to vegas with lyft the price they quote is what you pay, whereas its a bit of a lottery with uber. Half the time they would add a few $$ on top for one reason or another.

3. Martin Robertson says:

I had an issue adding my amex gold – getting the message that the card issuing country isn’t supported.
    Solved by updating payment method in the app and then trying to link accounts again. Hope that helps anyone that faces the same issue.

4. Doogie says:

OT – seen on another couple of sites, Picaddily line closed to and from Heathrow this bank holiday weekend. From TFL
    PICCADILLY LINE: From about 00:01 on Saturday 25, and all day Sunday 26 and Bank Holiday Monday 27 May, no service between Hammersmith and Heathrow (all terminals) / Uxbridge due to track replacement work.

• They will run non-stop express buses from Hsmith to Heathrow every 5-10 mins! Not bad, ugh? My partner is flying tomorrow morning and I decided to go with him to try this unusual service

• Much faster than the normal service then! On Sunday morning I think they will get to central bus station in less than 25 mins

5. What happened to Ubers tie up with HH then?

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

If it’s what I think you have in mind, that was with SPG and died with the Marriott buyout.

6. Waddle says:

OT: Plat
    Since the Platinum changes I’m sure some readers are cancelling their cards. Has anyone received any decent retention offer worth posting about?

• Clive says:

Cancelled yesterday and the best offer was “ sorry to see you go”

• Peter K says:

No offer made. I did cancel by chat, but they didn’t even use the usual “if you ring they may be able to offer you something to stay” line during the process.

• Memesweeper says:

I used the chat last week and was not offered anything.

Previous recent Amex cancellations by chat result in an encouragement to call up instead and find out what retention is available. I’ve always declined in the past, but this time it wasn’t even offered.

I’m down to my last two personal Amexes — a Green and a BAPP. I’m a few pounds short of the 2-4-1 so when I cross the line I’ll be closing them all for a while. Might do a cheeky last gasp upgrade to Plat from Green to see the metal card in my hand before binning that for good. Then focus on business cards perhaps. Or get a proper hobby 🙂

• Stevey says:

I got double points offered for six months… I’ve accepted for now as I have about £25k to spend in the next month or so… Then maybe time to cancel…..

Does anyone know the process to downgrading to Green? Do you need to make a new application on line or can it be done over the phone?

• Memesweeper says:

Make a fresh application online, use you plat number when they ask if you have an existing Amex account. Worked for me all nicely in one online account and the points are still alive.

• RakishDriver says:

Any SPG retention offers lately? last one I was offered when cancelling was 3 months ago.

7. Travel Strong says:

Anyone successfully matched their MGM tier status across to Hyatt? The literature says you can, the agents on both sides fail to do it (MGM and hyatt) endlessly point the finger at each other.

8. Munch says:

OT The wife had her email hacked (not sure how) and they requested a password reset on her Marriott account. She had a balance of 10000 points which they transferred out as a “2503 Product, Travel, Or Service Awards”. Contacted customer services who have raised a case and reset the account with a new password. Didn’t cancel or change any future bookings and no other awards account were affected.

• Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check both our accounts. It would be interesting know where the points were transferred to as there must be an electronic trail.

• Munch says:

We have to wait until Tuesday due to the bank holiday. I’m interested on how they used the points. I will post when I have an update. Not sure if Marriott will credit as they seemed to have gained access to the account via hacking the associated email account. Are we therefore responsible?

• TGLoyalty says:

Reminder for everyone to set up 2 factor authentication on email accounts. All new logins have to be verified by phone or phone app etc

9. OT:

Tiny little 2,000 Skywards on the verge of expiring. Is there anything I can do with that?

10. rams1981 says:

OT just received the Amex letter re plat fees. What have people decided to do? I’m thinking the Marriott card. The insurance on that not as comprehensive as Plat I guess and no lounge access but £500 cheaper pa!

• Memesweeper says:

I’ve cancelled. But I have no international travel planned for the foreseeable — might feel differently if I was spending significant time in hotels, airports and so on. My travel is all UK at the moment so little benefit.

• 1.5p per £1 return (in Bonvoy points) can’t be beat, if you spend enough to offset the fee.

No bonus for you though.

• I’ve cancelled all my Amexes apart from SPG and Lloyds. Thanks to HFP I’ve got premium cabins booked for my 4 trips booked for the next 12 months and I should have enough vouchers and avios to last me till the end of 2021. Unless the rules have changed again by that point I will start over with BAPP and Platinum, if I’ve got it right!

11. Graham Walsh says:

Thanks for the Lyft tip. Used them in Seattle a few months ago. Much quicker and cheaper than Uber at the Airport. Will certainly be using them in Denver in a few weeks.