InterContinental Lyon opens – and looks stunning

IHG has just opened a new InterContinental in Lyon.  It is surprising it has taken this long given that Lyon is France’s 2nd largest metropolitan area and has significant banking, chemical and pharmaceuticals industries.

The new hotel occupies a building that was, until 2010, the striking Hotel Dieu hospital complex on the banks of the Rhône.  Looking at the photographs, it is a shame they don’t build hospitals like this any more!

The hotel has 144 rooms, 34 of which are split-level ‘Duplex Suites’ with views across the river.  There is also a 150sqm presidential suite.

InterContinental Lyon opens

Amenities include a 1,500 sq m convention space as well as 12 meeting rooms. There is also a spa with gym, hammam and sauna, as well as a restaurant specialising in Lyonnaise dishes.

The 32 meter high dome, formerly a chapel, has been turned into a magnificent bar.  There is also Club InterContinental lounge.

InterContinental Lyon opens

This looks like the sort of hotel which may justify a weekend break in its own right.  You are looking at cash rates of €250 per night for a standard King Superior room for a weekend in early September.  For the same room you will pay 55,000 points, which is around 0.4p per point.  Given that we generally value IHG Rewards Club points at the same 0.4p, this is a decent but not spectacular way of spending them.  Unfortunately only standard rooms are available for points.

You can find out more about the InterContinental Lyon here.

Oman Air First Class Suite reviewed, London Heathrow to Muscat (Part 2)
Get bonus Virgin miles on the new Tel Aviv flights

Hilton India and SEA sale

Comments

1. Brian W says:

O/T Virgin Rewards + bonus sign up points must be getting applied using their IT now rather than manually. Got my first statement on Tuesday with the 30k points bonus showing at the bottom, the points all posted in my Flying Club account yesterday, and I got an email telling me they were on their way today. Pretty slick.

I know Rob said it was a manual process, hence the delays previously, so something has changed for the better.

• Shoestring says:

might be tempted for the 2 of us to go for the paid cards, obvs with new email addresses 🙂

when does it end, 30th June?

• EwanG says:

Although the 19 year old isn’t allowed to drink until he’s 21, is his credit rating good, and is he allowed any cards yet?

• Shoestring says:

Unfortunately already got turned down for his first Amex card, I was truthful about his income 🙂

household income didn’t sway it

• Shoestring says:

he’s got quite a few gambling accounts though – probably up about 25,000 Avios so far 🙂

• Keith says:

Are there gambling sites that let you deposit deposit with no fees?

• Shoestring says:

the fees on deposits get charged on credit cards but not debit cards or PayPal – the gambling sites themselves don’t levy fees on deposits

• Keith says:

So are there sites that allow you to make a credit to your balance using PayPal linked to Amex? When I try my Amex cards show as ‘unavailable for this payment’?

• Shoestring says:

that’s correct, you can’t make a deposit to a gambling site using PayPal with Amex underlying – not in my experience, anyway

works fine with PayPal with debit card underlying or using PayPal balance

I’ve not tried to use PayPal with a credit card underlying for fear that you’d still end up paying the credit card £5 fee

but PayPal is useful as an alternative to debit card as many gambling sites look for duplication of deposit method as proof of you opening multiple a/cs (and suspend your account if detected)

2. Oh! Matron! says:

There’s a targeted Instant Plat on Spire, with extended Plat if you match some very easy targets currently.

Only for Corp users. I didn’t get an email, but once I’d changed my email address, I then found the relevant bumpf internally. Incidentally, it doesn’t use a promo code, so no good asking, as I’ve seen multiple, lower quality, FF sites asking for.