Virgin Atlantic Sale

Exceptional World of Hyatt redemption in Budapest – but ending soon

One of Hyatt’s best redemptions is increasing in price.

The Párisi Udvar Hotel in Budapest is a member of Hyatt’s Unbound Collection.

The Unbound Collection is a group of independent hotels which use Hyatt’s ‘system’ for marketing purposes, in return for letting World of Hyatt members earn and burn points.  You can see the full portfolio here.

At present, the Párisi Udvar Hotel is just 8,000 World of Hyatt points per night.   This is exceptionally good value.

The Párisi Udvar Hotel in Budapest World of Hyatt points

I tend to value a World of Hyatt point at 1p.  However, picking a few dates in August and September shows rates of €230 to €350+ per night.  This means that you’re getting excellent value for your points.

Such good value, in fact, that it actually makes sense to BUY Hyatt points – even without a bonus offer – rather than book for cash!  As you can see here, buying 8,000 points costs just $192 ($171).

However, move quickly.  The hotel is going up to Category 5 on 30th July, which means it will be 20,000 points per night.  You can lock in bookings before 30th July for stays at any point in the next year.

The hotel website is here if you want to find out more.

New American Express 'Shop Small' cashback offer
Avios has fixed the error with regional redemption pricing

IHG Sale

Comments

1. james says:

OT – CAR HIRE
    I’m trying to get my car rental hire days up for my status. Does anybody know if you book more days than you need but return it early do you still get full rental days.

Example to hire a car for 7 nights its the same as 5. If I pay for 7 but return it after 5 would I still get the 7 nights credited to me or just 5?

• Not sure, but you might want to read the T&C’s and fees carefully as sometimes there is a fee for returning early.

• Jovanna says:

You’ll just get the 5 days. Also, bear in mind that Avis (if it is Avis) have a minimum spend requirement as well as the number of vehicles you rent between their status tiers.

• Yeah but also Avis don’t have a number of days requirement, just a number of rentals.

2. cathy says:

Can anyone please advise how to check what class of ticket I had on a recent flight. I’m a little confused, booked a BA holiday, seats were in business but avios awarded is different on return leg. As I have flown the flights they have gone into past bookings so I can’t see what class they were on the tickets? One has gone on as lowest and one flexible for some reason, same 40 tier points for each though.

• I don’t think you can search retrospectively once flown. But as it’s BA Holidays you will often find that the outward flight is in J or C booking class which earns more avios and the return is in I or R which earns lower avios. The tier points are the same as that is based on Economy v Business v First and not the actual booking class.

I was almost positive that it shows up on your boarding pass but just checked my last flight a week ago and it doesn’t appear (then again it was on a redemption flight which earns nothing so that’s probably why)

The only way to check

• Cathy says:

Great, thanks AJA. I did try my boarding pass from apple wallet but that doesn’t tell you so I think you’re right. To be honest expected both to be lowest rate, my return was higher so I will take it as a bonus and make a note next time.

• Lady London says:

Why not phone and ask?

• Cathy says:

Only reason I haven’t is that maybe the higher one was wrong and I didn’t want them to reduce the return flight amount. Have done many BA flights/holidays but have never had different rewards on the same booking. Will check first next time though and have decided to look at it that I got more on return than expected.

3. SimonW says:

O/T – Anyone’s live purchase notification on their BAPP not coming through lately ?? Havent had them for a a few days on my iphone. Have deleted and re-added app. etc. No luck though

• Brian W says:

I don’t think it’s the Amex app that the notifications are from, it’s the wallet that sends the notification. Add your card to apple pay in the wallet and you’ll get notifications when a transaction is made.

• SimonW says:

Thanks Brian. It’s already in my wallet. Can see purchases in there, but no live notifications. Annoying.

• Peter K says:

Try checking your push notification settings are on for the app.

• SimonW says:

Thanks Peter. They were on for the Amex app, not for the wallet… Maybe that will fix it !

4. Simon D says:

O/T Has anyone heard anything about the timescales for the Hilton Honors Barclaycard card being withdrawn for existing holders? It’s proven pretty useful for me, so I’ll need to think of another Visa/Mastercard replacement, The range on the market is pretty poor at the moment but will probably go for an IHG card. It’s a real pity that the Virgin cards aren’t massively useful for those of us without status….

5. OT:

Has anyone had experience of the Delta Lounge in Terminal 2 of JFK?

Does getting in with a Platinum card involve:

sticking the Platinum in a machine to prove it’s real

or

flashing them a (possibly cancelled for a couple of months) Platinum card and getting waved in???

6. Boris says:

Just got BAPP wanted to know so supps get offers as no offers appearing on their account currently despite being set up for a while.

Wanted to double bag the Selfridges offer if possible 🙂

7. David Y says:

Advise on AMEX. I have preferred gold Credit and would like reward so BAPP or Starwood? BTW is BAPP 241 voucher useless? Some web shows there will be a big tax charge when redeeming for flight.

• Peter K says:

I think you need to look through the Avios University section on this website as there are long answers to the 2-4-1 voucher.

Your message is not clear but if you are looking for another sign up bonus you can’t (except on BA Premium Plus) as you’ve already had a personal amex in the past 2 years.

8. Nate1309 says:

O/T apologies if I missed it in another days comments. What is the HfP consensus on Curve Legacy Black v Free “New” Black? I have read the thread on the curve community page and its clear as mud to me.

• Peter K says:

Stick with legacy black as it’s free I reckon. Plus the rewards on shopping area high at the selected retailers.

• Nate1309 says:

I’m leaning that way. It has 2 main uses for me, Greggs and HMRC.

• Graeme says:

You can use Paypal with the Greggs app – and you get free stuff occasionally.

• Grant says:

I’ve just posted a question on the thread on Curve Community because, to me, the introductory post is contradictory. In one place it says if you don’t do the referrals you’ll get automatically moved to Legacy Black, and in another it says if they don’t hear from you by 4th August you’ll stay on new Black – i.e. if you want to move to Legacy Black and avoid monthly charges, one requires no action and the other needs an opt out.

• Grant says:

The response from Curve:

“Sorry if there’s been any confusion, let me clarify. If and only if you have made your required number of referrals, if you don’t do anything, you will stay on a free subscription to Curve Black. If you haven’t made the required number of referrals, you will be moved to Black Legacy.”

• Genghis says:

I thought free new black is only if you refer 3 (IIRC) people to Curve in the next few weeks. Otherwise you’re it’s new curve blue or legacy black (for older card holders). I’m sticking with legacy black.

• Grant says:

I think this is correct, but its the process of getting to Legacy Black that isn’t clear to me.

• Nate1309 says:

I am on Legacy Black atm. I have generated enough referrals to move if I want to for free. If you are sticking with Legacy Black @Genghis that’s my decision made.

• Craig says:

And what happens in a year if you do 3 referrals? Is it back to legacy black or are you stuck on the new tier?

• Grant says:

If you have done your referrals and don’t want to stay on new Black then you must opt out.

9. Nick W says:

Landing in Moscow at circa 5am. Will get into the centre at circa 7-8am.

Any tips on getting an early hotel check-in?

I have mid tier status with all major hotel groups via Amex Plat.
    Any tricks of the trade 🙂 ?

• Lady London says:

Russia may be different but if rooms are available sometimes Accor has offered early checkin for a moderate sum recently. On my last stay when i phoned them ahead i agreed to this, they checked me in at 10.28 when i arrived and so far as i can tell they havent charged me.

One hotel group (forgotten which, i think it was IHG for Ambassador? but might have been Royal Ambassador which is invitation only) used to guarantee room access at 8am but that’s not your case.

Either call them and ask what’s possible, if they have anoption for a fee they will mention, otherwise pitch up 10am-12 noon, ask what’s possible and if not ask to leave your bags. I’d also check if there is a Day Room or arrivals lounge i could use at the airport (I’m not familiarwith your airport).

• the_real_a says:

Personally i wouldn’t bother to pay for an early check in. Once you have taken a leisurely breakfast, dropped bags at the concierge and headed for some photo’s at Red Square and/or got lost in the metro it will be regular check in time!

10. reader says:

OT re Amex Plat. Has the new wording gone back into the policy that we now need to pay with the Plat card to receive the plat insurance benefits? The chat agent on the amex website and the documents say so…

• Documents do not say this. The doc we discussed a few months ago was withdrawn and a new doc issued which goes back to the old wording (any old Amex will do, as long as it is a personal one in your name).

• Reader says:

Thanks, Rob. But the document available on the Amex website does state that only purchase ‘on the card account’ trigger the cover for things like ‘cancelling a trip and cutting a trip short’: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/the-platinum-card/platinum-insurance.html

So am I definitely covered if I use my BAPP rather than my (supplementary) Plat to book BA flights?

• That’s NOT what it says! Where a phrase is capitalised you need to refer to the definition page at the front.

• And if you click through to the small print it says:

• Genghis says:

For the “small stuff” you need to pay on the “card” where:

“Card” means any card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account”

and ““Account” or “Card Account” means your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners.”

It’s clear any Amex will do

11. Hyatt running again 40% bonus on points, useful for Párisi Udvar.