Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Air Malta adds a 2nd London Gatwick flight for Winter 2019

Whilst not part of any major airline alliance, and no longer an Avios partner, the continued popularity of Malta means that I wanted to flag a new Air Malta service.

From the start of the Winter timetable on 27th October, Air Malta is adding a second daily service from London Gatwick.

The two existing daily services from London Heathrow remain, taking the number of daily flights from London to four.

Tickets for the new service are very cheap for the first few days – inbound, for example, you can fly one way from Malta to Gatwick for £22.80 in Economy between the 28th and 31st October as well as much of November.

Air Malta launches 2nd Gatwick service

British Airways has its own ‘five flights per week’ Malta service from Gatwick, of course, which – at 160 tier points for a Club Europe – will admittedly be your preferred choice if you are chasing British Airways Executive Club status.

(You can check out all BA routes which earn 160 tier points return in Club Europe in this article.  Because many are from Gatwick, like Malta, they can be surprisingly cheap out of season.)

Comments (76)

• krys_k says:

OT please. Do points post after the first leg of a Qatar flight or does the return need to be completed before that happens? Thanks (btw Qsuite is an amazing hard product. Soft product is great too. Would take it over BA F).

• Harvey says:

OT.
    Do virgin cc do a hard check if you ask for a credit limit increase?

• r* says:

I have a flight arriving in Madrid with Iberia that will land at around 1830, would I have enough time to get to a BA flight from MAD-LHR at 2050? Would prefer to not have to stay the night at Madrid and that seem to be the last flight to LHR.

Also would I better making the MAD-LHR booking with avios via Iberia site or BA site in terms of if the flight was missed due to the IB flight being delayed?

Looks like the points and fees are the same, but if a better option turns up cancelling with a BA booking would like a 50p/£1 fee?

• marcw says:

I’d go for it -if flight is on time, you have good time if you land in T4, a little bit less in T4S, but still doable. However, I’d book it with IbPlus. The reason? You can change your Avios bookig up to 1 hr before scheduled departure, for just 25 EUR (to cancel an Avios booking it has to be 24 h before…) – I believe BAEC Avios booking are also flexible, but neet to be changed 24 h before departure, IBPLUS gives you even more flexibility (I’ve done it a few months ago, when I have a BA flight at 7 am. It was 7 pm the day before, I checked whether there are Avios seat at a later flight. Bingo, a quick call and 25 EUR and I changed my flight, even though I already had checked in on-line with a mobile boarding pass).

• Graeme says:

Last time I was in the CCR they thought I was Tom Kerridge. We had no idea why we had one or two members of staff always standing by me, grinning and waiting to top up every drink, until one quietly said to me “I love your recipes”….. then I remembered that a friend said I looked like him. I don’t remember much of the flight to KL!

• TGLoyalty says:

What a story to tell in the future lol

wonder if you made the celeb spotting thread on flyertalk.

• Big Jim says:

Does anyone know why the BA Lgw-Mla flights are all at different times during the week? Every day its a totally different time..im sure theres a perfectly good explanation..but i cant put my finger on it..lol