Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get your child a personalised British Airways and My 1st Years backpack

As part of #BA100, British Airways will be giving away 5,000 My 1st Years mini backpacks to children passing through Gatwick and Heathrow on selected days during August.

They are quite sweet as you can see below.

My 1st Years British Airways backpack

My 1st Years is also selling them directly to the public.  You get FREE personalisation, up to nine characters, which is a nice touch.  The ones given out in the airports have ‘Mini Adventurer’ on the back (which I know is more than nine characters!).

You can order one for a child in your life via this page of the My 1st Years site.

British Airways BA Amex American Express

How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (September 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

There are two official British Airways American Express cards. Both have increased sign-up bonuses until 2nd November 2021:

British Airways BA Amex American Express card

British Airways American Express

10,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and an Economy 241 voucher for spending ….. Read our full review

British Airways BA Premium Plus American Express Amex credit card

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

40,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

60,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Run your own business?

We recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card:

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review

You should also consider the British Airways Accelerating Business credit card. This is open to sole traders as well as limited companies. This card has a limited time offer of 60,000 Avios when you sign up:

British Airways Accelerating Business American Express card

British Airways Accelerating Business American Express

60,000 Avios sign-up bonus – plus annual bonuses of up to 30,000 Avios Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)

Comments (66)

• Lee says:

Somehow I can’t see them enforcing this in the first wing….

• Andrew says:

First Wing and all fast-tracks will be closed. First and Gold cards will have to queue with everyone else.

• Roger says:

OT but LHR for all Heathrow expert out there

If I am flying from/to LHR every week (Sunday out / Friday back), is there any cost effective option for parking?
    Ideally minimum distance away from T5 or on free shuttle.

Currently taking taxi but would like to explore the parking if cost and time effective.

• Graham Walsh says:

Have you looked at Just Park site?

• Chrisasaurus says:

Depends on the length of the drive/taxi ride of course, but taxi is far less stressful than driving and parking. If I just drive it’s business parking and pods for me when I can.

Or, throwing this out there – rent a car from the airport friday and return it Sunday?

• Roger says:

Car rental from airport is what I have done in the past too, so a good option.

Just looking to see if there is any special deal to be had with any official car parking provided, including Heathrow itself.

• marcw says:

Laptops/phones/cameras/ipods/ipads/tablets are NOT the problem . The bottleneck are liquids, make-up and babyfood. There are many st*pid people that are unwilling to learn the rules… after SO many years… and this clogs the security line.

By BA rules the small personal item is: no bigger than 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. Make your conclusions.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Woman in front of me had an entire Body Shop store in her bag and stood there motionless deep in thought trying to decide what 1/4 of her haul she wanted to cram into the plastic bag and keep while the half dozen of us behind (we had medicines and ice packs in cool bag) lost our minds.

Not like any of us had a plane to catch…

• Sussex bantam says:

Selfishly _ good news on the BALPA strike as we fly home on the 17th. Time to cancel all those 50p Avios contingency redemption bookings I had ! I was quite surprised that I was able to get flights on 14th 15th and 17th last week.

• Graham Walsh says:

OT looking at BA flights next year to Spain for summer and for some reason LGW to Spain are £500+ each but from LHR to Spain are only around £100 each. At this rate its probably cheaper to pay cash than RFS. Gib is even cheaper. Plus LHR is closer for me.

What are BA doing? Using flex pricing as they see LGW is popular when I was looking?

• Chrisasaurus says:

Was same for us last year – CW cash from LHR made the most sense (to MAD) so jumped on it.

Had I been thinking straight I’d have added a hotel room or car for a day and used ba holidays too but I wasn’t…

• pauldb says:

If you’re looking a flights which have only just been released, T-355, it’s not unusual that the LGW flights initially appear with only the full Y bucket available and then cheaper seats are added perhaps a few weeks later. Whereas LHR flights appear with lower buckets already open. Found the same at May half term, though it may be even more random than a LHR/LGW distinction.

• Alan says:

Eek, potential strike date keeps getting closer and closer to 30th Aug, which would be rather troublesome for me!!

• SG says:

Can anyone please remind me how HSBC credit card top up are being treated by Revolut,used it mistakenly for a top up instead another card that I know it’s purchase like treated.Has anyone experienced any problems with Revolut this morning,tried to add an account,getting an error all the time and a “try again later”!

• Genghis says:

As purchase

• Matt says:

Any ideas about MBNA or Barclaycard? I can see people reporting that Tandem is blocked… but hear conflicting things about Barclaycard treating it as a purchase and nothing at all about MBNA

• Mark2 says:

When I was using Revolut a month or so ago (before they wanted my entire financial life history) they would not have anything to do with (Hilton) Barclaycard – either loading from or bank transfer to pay bill. Any smell of Barclays triggered the security procedure.

• Benylin says:

OT: Flying Saudia Airlines. What should I credit my journey to? Ideally to an airline that I can get them over to Avios / Virgin / into some hotels.

• marcw says:

You can credit to Flying Blue. Then you can convert the miles to Accor… but transfer is not that great.

• A270 says:

I credit mine to Delta as I travel a lot within the USA. One way redemptions are easy with low taxes I have found. So even if I have 8,000-10,000 Delta Skymiles, I have made use of them for myself or booked for my children.

• Benylin says:

Thanks all. What about best one that allows pooling? Have 3 family members going too.