Radisson Rewards adding a Las Vegas redemption option

Radisson Rewards is adding a Las Vegas redemption option.

Las Vegas used to be, surprisingly, a very difficult place to use your hotel loyalty points with most of the ‘strip’ hotels not carrying international brands.  And, let’s be honest, if you want a proper Las Vegas experience you need to be on the ‘strip’.

In recent years all this has changed.  Hyatt has partnered with MGM, which lets you earn and burn at hotels including Bellagio.  IHG Rewards Club has partnered with the Venetian and Palazzo which are part of the ‘InterContinental Alliance’ sub-brand.  Hilton’s Waldorf Astoria recently took over the Mandarin OrientalThe Cosmopolitan is part of Marriott’s Autograph collection.

Radisson Rewards is now joining the party.  The Treasure Island casino hotel is rebranding as Treasure Island – TI Hotel & Casino, a Radisson Hotel.

The hotel will be bookable for cash via the Radisson website later this year and will join Radisson Rewards early in 2020.

Of course, you need to remember one thing about Las Vegas redemptions.  Cash rates vary wildly, with weekend rates usually being substantially higher than weekdays, assuming there are no major conventions on.  If you are visiting midweek – which is what I recommend – cash may be a better deal.

PS.  Slightly shockingly, because of what I said above, an IHG press release this week said that The Venetian in Las Vegas is the most popular IHG Rewards Club redemption.  Taking Tuesday 8th October as a random example, however, it is $220 including taxes or 70,000 points.  This is a terrible deal given my standard 0.4p per point IHG valuation.

Earning Radisson Rewards points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These include:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points (= 30,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points (= 90,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points (= 15,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

It is worth noting that holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Gold status for as long as they hold the card.  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate.  The cards above all earn 1 Amex point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.

Has British Airways blinked first in BALPA pilot dispute?
What is the best hotel scheme? - IHG Rewards Club - The Facts

IHG Sale

Comments

1. OT – flying from Gatwick in CE this week, but want a half decent meal which we wont get in lounge or onboard . Can I still use my 2 free Lounge club visits from amex gold to get 2x£15 at Grain store?

• lounge club website says “Only 1 card per visit per Cardholder will be accepted and at point of registration.” – really cant get my head around what that means if i want to use my 2 free passes

• Grain store fine used 2 cards for £60 in total last week

2. If heading to Vegas there are some excellent dining and show deals usually available on the Travelzoo US website which are worth investigating

3. Rooster says:

Worth noting that many Ambassadors have complained about not receiving any benefits at the Las Vegas Intercontinental Casino Hotels, so don’t expect any benefits. Some dates I looked at were $189 a night but a few days later it went unto $400 so that would be on par with the points valuation, to be fair though I don’t see IHG having that many good hotels excluding the 2 casinos in Vegas.

• Optimus Prime says:

I did stay at IC Palazzo in October 2017 and got them: room upgrade, late checkout, welcome gift, etc.

• I’ve just stayed at the Palazzo as an Ambassador. They offered me my guaranteed upgrade, but it was to a room with a worse bed configuration for us as a family of 4. Had booked a 2 queen room, and they upgraded us to a room with a King bed. I queried it at check in, and was told that the 2 teenagers could share the sofa bed which they declined. I asked for an upgrade which included 2 proper beds – it was refused as that would count as a double upgrade. We did end up on a Hugh level floor, so don’t know if that was a gesture in-lieu of no suitable upgrade, but overall I wasn’t happy.

• I should have added that I don’t recall getting a welcome gift. Late checkout may have been mentioned, but our itinerary meant that we had to leave in the morning, so didn’t pay any attention to it.

4. Alejandro says:

Hi. I have reached 100k limit on Curve. Upgraded from 50k to 100k last February. Is it a good idea to contact Curve CS again and ask to upgrade limits? Anyone has any experience with upgrading over 100k?

5. Quote:- “Slightly shockingly, because of what I said above, an IHG press release this week said that The Venetian in Las Vegas is the most popular IHG Rewards Club redemption. ”

Redemptions don’t appear on Credit Card or Bank Statements.
    Redemptions disappear from points history fairly quickly
    A pre-authorisation disappears.

So, sticking with cash – still welcomed in Vegas, you can have a pretty much invisible weekend with someone if you use points.

6. As a data point also received the 40% Bonus on CC transfer to BAEC. Had already transferred Shell points to my account but did not receive the email.

7. OT: booked a Hilton in Hawaii in points (going there on Monday). I thought Hilton reward bookings don’t incur resort fees? These seem to be quoted on closer look at my confirmation email. What can I do (ie, can I avoid paying them)? Also on checking Hilton app it says upgrades not available as it’s a popular resort…even though rooms are still available for cash.

8. fivebobbill says:

Anybody know a good Blacksmith?
    Have just cancelled the wife’s Amex Plat and they’ve asked her to destroy the 2 cards…

• Rollaboard says:

Just put a luggage tag on them and check them in on your next flight through Heathrow. They’ll be pretty destroyed by the time you collect them at your destination

• Shoestring says:

keep them to get in free at Eurostar and Plaza Platinum

• Does Eurostar work with old cancelled Platinum cards? I know I’ve asked twice but when I’ve gone back to find if anyone has answered my question I couldn’t find were I posted it. HaHa

• Shoestring says:

they don’t read/ scan the card except for name and expiry date

• Lady London says:

Everywhere I’ve seen it asked the answer was Yes it works for sure Lon, someone mentioned Par did a scan recently but that was the first time I’ve seen that answer. Apparently Brussels, although not mentioned on the website, also has a lounge that works too. It’s nicer than the terminal which can get crowded (I got in with my Bahncard which is something different).

• Shoestring says:

nearly as good as Airport Angels (6 free lounge passes via Dragonpass, Barclays were kind enough to give all the info you needed to sign up free on their website)

• We are going to Brugge on Eurostar at the end of September. I was planning to sign my mother-in-law up to Platinum card, my wife use her card, (her passport is still in her maiden name) and I will be the supp card so gets us both in. But incase I don’t sign her up we both still have our cancelled Plat cards. We intend to use at both London and Bussels lounges as we head to Amsterdam mid week via Brussels and Eurostar again.

• Shoestring says:

I like the thinking. You can go one better which is get the Amex & priority pass cards with surname only 🙂

• Can confirm it works fine in Brussels as no swiping there either – travelled about 4 weeks ago and got in fine. Also no problems in London, still just a name check and glance at the back of the card to confirm origin.

• Lady London says:

Oh? Is Pl Pr not scanning then?

Not that I really need to know. I’m with Dragonpass now as the selection of lounges (including Pl Pr T5) seems better than the constant degradation of the PP lounges in UK/Europe

• Pl Pr have swiped the Plat card the last few times I have been (T3 Arrivals and T5 departures). Took them ages to do it at T3 Arrivals as well!

• Lady London says:

Get your drill out, man !
      🙂
      I suppose churners (if there’s any incentive still left to churn) could make a necklace of all their cancelled cards…

9. Delbert says:

My wife and I are off to AMS in CE for long weekend on 24/8 so pleased that our departure isn’t affected now. Just have to run the gauntlet of whether terminal staff are on strike that weekend and obviously hoping the improved pay offer is accepted by Unite members.

10. I have been pricing up some flights to the USA today. The routes and dates I am looking at it appears that a return price originating in the UK to the USA and back again is actually cheaper (In £, not in Avios) than a single originating in the US back to the UK. Is this right?

• Lady London says:

Are we talking cash or avios flights? Answer avios, quite possibly (though Rob did a recent article to say quite a few US starting points seem to have reduced cash payable on avios bookings recently). If cash then not so likely but definitely not unheard of.

• One way cash fares on carriers like BA are often as much as, or even more than, return fares.

• Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. Yes Avios flight is cheaper from Inv > USA > Inv than just pricing USA > Inv. I assume this is something similar to the APD trick of starting from INV or JER (which incidentally the BA Agent I spoke to this afternoon knew nothing about!)

• Shoestring says:

Hugh, those aren’t mistake fares, so what you are seeing as prices are correct. There are loads of seeming anomalies out there.

11. Can anyone recommend either the Park Inn or Radisson Blu at Oslo Airport please? It will be a November stay.

I have gold radisson status from Amex. I could either book the Radisson Blu for £126 or Park Inn for 44000 Radisson points.

The Radisson Blu gets quite a few poor reviews on TripAdvisor. Was wondering if anyone had first hand experience of either hotel? Thanks!

• We’ve stayed at both before Qatar flights because I don’t like risking missing flights! Twice at the Radisson two years ago in November, and once at the Park Inn and once at the Radisson in October last year. I have Gold status too. The Park Inn is slightly further away than the Radisson. If it’s cold or snowy you can get to the Radisson through the terminal and the only outside stretch is crossing the road. The Park Inn is about 5-10 minutes walk depending on how much luggage you have.

Reviews before we stayed suggested the Park Inn was nicer but we preferred the Radisson. It was quieter and breakfast was much better. The rooms we had were also quieter at the Radisson. We didn’t eat dinner at either hotel as there are better (and cheaper) options in the terminal. The welcome gift was nicer at the Radisson as it was some macaroons, chocolates and fruit, and at the Park Inn it was just some chopped fruit. The Park Inn room had some weird sort of multi-coloured disco lights above the bed though if you find that appealing! We got upgraded on all four stays though so you probably also have a reasonable chance at an upgrade.

• Thanks so much for your reply. Will go for the Radisson then. I will be taking my 60ish mum, so the less outside walking in winter, the better! We are also going there the night before our Qatar flights to Asia. Probably won’t have time for breakfast though as flight is at 7:30am!