Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

LAST CALL: Get a 20%-45% bonus when you buy Avios points

A quick reminder that that British Airways is currently running a new short-term ‘buy Avios’ promotion which has another 48 hours to run.

You will receive a bonus of up to 45% Avios when you buy or gift points by Sunday 18th August.

This is not as high as the 50% bonuses we have seen from time to time.  The bonus is also staggered, and you need to buy a whopping 100,000 to get the full 45%.

You need to visit ba.com via this page in order to buy.

45% buy Avios bonus

This is how the bonus is staggered:

• 20% bonus when you buy 1,000 to 15,000 Avios
  • 30% bonus when you buy 20,000 to 35,000 Avios
  • 35% bonus when you buy 40,000 to 90,000 Avios
  • 45% bonus when you buy 100,000 to 200,000 Avios

As you can see, British Airways has increased the number of Avios you can buy under this deal – the cap is now 200,000 points per year.  This means that, with the bonus, you will receive 290,000 Avios for a whopping £3,215.

I am not a buyer at 1.1p, which is what you pay if you buy 100,000+.  However, as my core article on ‘What is an Avios worth?’ shows, it is easy to get a lot more than 1.1p.  My valuation is low because I do a lot of Gold Priority Rewards (using double Avios to force open a seat, mainly due to school holiday restrictions) and don’t always have a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher to use.  I also tend to use Avios irrespective of the value, because I am sitting on a lot of them.

If you are strategic you should do far better than me.  And, of course, if you are just topping up your account before you make a redemption the exact price you pay doesn’t matter as much.

This HFP article from our ‘Avios Redemption University’ series shows you how to buy Avios points and which route is the best value from all of the options available.

The link to buy is here.

Comments (20)

• Roger says:

Can you buy Avios as legitimate business expense to redeem on flights meant for official business purposes?

• Chas says:

I can’t see why not if you’re going to legitimately use them to redeem for a business flight and can demonstrate a link between the Avios you bought and a business flight redemption. If you were being prudent you might want to check with your accountant though…

• Rob says:

I have bought and instantly redeemed hotel points for a work trip and expenses it. Can’t see any problem.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Keep the ratio 1:1 and maybe but I’d still be squeamish

• s879 says:

OT: I have to go to Dubai for a weekend in November. Would prefer BA re Avios earning and flight times vs Emirates but due to recent BA strikes and mayhem wondering if I should risk it. Any advice re if the risk is high or not?

• LewisB says:

OT: Curve is crowdfunding.

“For registered Curve users, there will be an exclusive early access period to invest. You’ll be able to invest from as little as £10 to own a part of Curve and gain access to exclusive shareholder rewards.

As much as we’d like to accommodate all of our eligible customers, there will be a finite amount of investment available and funding will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. If interested, make sure to register your interest here to ensure you have first access and are included in all relevant updates.

We look forward to sharing more details with you in the coming weeks.”

• Chas says:

No detail as to what the “exclusive shareholder rewards” will be though. Have registered my interest though in case it leads to higher limits or similar.

• TimTam says:

This comes weeks after they got bunch of funding: “Curve, the London-based “over-the-top banking platform,” has raised $55 million in new funding.” – July 2019

So is this a Robert Maxwell style scam; or a unprofitable business model trying to stay afloat?

• Chris says:

OT: App in the air 1% day

Did anyone get / going to the App in the Air 1% travellers day @ the O2 on the 5th of September? Or have experience of a similar even in the US; trying to decide if its worth a trip down from Nottingham (Its a travel planning app more focussed on flights than say tripit?)

• Roger says:

OT just to reconfirm, if I book Avios rewards flight as Avios + £0.50 and if I have to cancel (must it be 24 hours+ before departure), do I get full Avios back and loose only 50p for the booking?

On another note, BA system seems to be broken and it does not offer Avios + £17.50 (or £35 for RT) on short haul reward flights. Nearest Price is £50 or so even for economy booking for RT.