BA Sale

Bits: British Airways Centenary documentary on TV tonight, Virgin credit cards on Apple Pay, £200 Emirates cashback

News in brief:

British Airways Centenary documentary starts tonight

British Airways has given Title Role, the producers of last year’s ‘100 Years in the Sky’ documentary, exclusive access to the business as part of the #BA100 celebrations.

The four part series is called ‘British Airways 24/7: Access All Areas‘ and airs on Channel 5 tonight at 9pm.  It is narrated by James Nesbitt from Cold Feet.

The first episode focuses on the delivery of BA’s 30th Boeing 787 as well as meetings with DO&CO to produce new menus and the Queen’s visit to the British Airways offices at Waterside.

Filming has been taking place all year. I met the camera crew at the A350 arrival event so you may spot me in a later episode!

Virgin Atlantic credit cards finally on Apple Pay!

Almost 18 months after they launched, you can finally use the two Virgin Atlantic credit cards with Apple Pay!

We believe there was some contractual reason why Virgin Money could not offer this.  As Virgin Money has now been taken over by Clydesdale / Yorkshire Bank, this issue may have gone away.

Coupled with the Virgin Money app, launched earlier this year, the Virgin Atlantic credit cards now appear to have caught up with the modern world.

You can find out more about the free Virgin Atlantic Reward Mastercard in our review here, and the £160 Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard in our review here.

I wouldn’t necessarily apply today, however, as there is currently no ‘enhanced’ sign-up promotion of any sort – although the usual 5,000 mile / 15,000 mile bonus is on.  We honestly have no idea if there is anything in the pipeline, but I’m sure a new inducement will be along sooner rather than later.

Emirates First Class Suite

£200 cashback with Emirates via Amex – with restrictions

American Express has launched a new cashback deal with Emirates.  You can see if you are targeted by looking in the ‘Offers’ section of your online statement for each Amex card you have.

It is quite restrictive, unfortunately, but could be very juicy if your employer lets you book flights on your personal credit card.

If targetted, you will receive a £200 statement credit when you spend £1,800 on Business or First Class flights via emirates.com before 8th November.

The flights need to depart from a UK airport.

Now …. it is possible, but no means certain, that the offer would also trigger if you spent £1,800 on Economy flights or on taxes and charges for Emirates Skywards redemptions.  American Express is not very clever at knowing what you have bought.

(For example, many people have a Google Store offer at present which offers £75 back on a £375 purchase.  The description implies that it is only valid on a Pixel 3a phone but is actually triggering with any purchase.)

The Emirates website is here if you want to check prices for any upcoming trips.

Remember that you earn Avios and British Airways tier points when you fly Emirates as long as you book them under the Qantas codeshare flight numbers.  This won’t help you with this offer, though, as the Emirates website will only sell you tickets with EK flight numbers.

BA sale highlights: New York in Club for £1317, 160 tier points to Helsinki for £210 and more
What are the best credit card sign-up deals for September? - plus your news round-up

BA Sale

Comments

1. Spaghetti Town says:

What are Virgin like giving credit limit increases?

2. Tom Cook says:

OT

We’re flying CW from Gatwick to Vegas at the start of October. Having not flown from Gatwick since I was a child what lounge would people recommend? We have a Plat so can get into the lounges covered by PP also.

3. Shoestring says:

O/T got my £500 prize money from the DM Share Competition today. A couple of weeks ago I was 2nd as well (no prize though) which sort of proves the penny share strategy is the only one worth pursuing – all the winners have been penny shares. You’re going to be too late for this week but there are 2 more weeks left after that and it’s not too late to enter

• Spaghetti Town says:

SS – Can you give us a low level breakdown of what this is?

• Hear hear. Just posting the same thing all over again without any explanation just looks like a get rich scam – I’m sure that it’s not the case, but more background is needed.

• Not exactly rocket science. It’s a Daily Mail competition. And the penny stock strategy is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain. I.e. National Grid isn’t exactly going to grow hundreds of percent in a week…

• Shoestring says:

yep just like Genghis said – if you follow the link above or here, all is explained – 100% legit

the good news is: not that many people are actively playing, eg already I think it was Sharey won twice

• Shoestring says:

though the guy winning the £20K big prize is mixing in FTSE100/ 250 shares, I know his strategy, which you can examine by checking his deals – +1100% in about 8 weeks!

I gave up on the £20K a long time ago, I’m on -283% 🙂 – the weekly strategy (for me) involves a fair bit of swallowing losses – I was 10th overall once but realised I hadn’t a chance of catching No1 without putting more time in, I do mine on 10 mins a week

4. Shoestring says:

100 free Nectar points! https://www.oxfamapps.org.uk/secondhandseptember/nectar.html

Every week 11 million items of clothing end up in landfill. Throwaway fashion is putting increasing pressure on our planet and its people – it’s unsustainable. Now there’s something you can do to help. Join Second Hand September and pledge to say no to new clothes for 30 days.

Talking about throwaway, I wouldn’t use your real email address or you’ll get spammed for 2 years

• Erm …. but Oxfam is paying for your 100 free Nectar points ….

• Shoestring says:

Don’t you think they got Nectar to contribute the points?

• No. Nectar is absolutely not a charity. It comes out of the Oxfam marketing budget.

• Presumably they think it is worth it though, even if they are paying the full price, because it’s effectively cheap advertising? Their brand will be visible to a vast number of people, far more than the number they will have to stump up 100 points for. I don’t think Harry or anybody else need worry about their conscience on this one.

• Shoestring says:

@BJ they use your email address to try and get future donations

• @Harry, no worries, I have multiple email addresses and there is always the mark as ‘chopped pork’ option.

• And come to think about it, I would not put it past them to sell the email addresses too.

• Lady London says:

And some people would say Oxfam is not like you would imagine a charity either.

• You could sign up, get the 100 free nectar points, then donate some clothes to Oxfam…

• Shoestring says:

my conscience is clear, I read a lot so am always buying books from the charity shops, another £8 worth already this week 🙂

plus as you suggest, I’m always giving hardly worn (teenagers’) clothes & shoes to one particular charity shop, maybe not Oxfam but it all evens out

• Yeah, I’ve given plenty of clothes to charity this year, so my conscience is clear.

• Do you give the books back to the shop too? I used to buy used best sellers on amazon for 1p, read them and hand them in to charity shops who then sold them for a more reasonable price.

• Oxfam probably desperate for some cheap advertising after the recent PR disasters in the news about their employees. Take the points and run!

• Interestingly, in Oxfordshire (where Oxfam is based) no domestic waste goes to landfill.

5. OT. Got a Lloyds upgrade voucher to use on one-way SYD-LON route. Now the process has changed and can’t be booked online, I’m concerned the seats will have gone by the time Avios.com ‘opens’ in the morning, having called BA initially. Any ideas how to get round this? I know with BA you can snag them at 1am the call to link to companion voucher and get the refund of Avios. But with a lloyds voucher I believe this idea isn’t possible. Think I’ll just have to hope they don’t get snapped up. I’m hoping the Lloyds voucher expiry date is book by rather than use by too! Thanks 👍

• Yes book by. But I used my last Lloyd’s voucher by calling BAEC, so I don’t see why in theory you couldn’t go via one of the overseas call centres in the early hours as presumably they have the same access to your account. My concern would just be that it would be very difficult to get them to understand what the voucher actually is!

• Good point, thanks Anna. Worth a try for sure!

• I don’t believe it works this way. When you call BA and mention the Lloyd’s voucher they put you through to another team (probably just the avios team), and unless I am mistaken they are probably only open their usual times. If so, calling the Japan number or wherever isn’t going to help. Still, no harm in trying in event I’m wrong but J’ve called about Lloyd’s voucher to BA a few times and call was always transferred.

6. fivebobbill says:

Radisson Rewards – Just registered for double points for stays until 30 Nov 19, better than nothing.
    Dunno if it’s targeted, came in an email…

7. Spaghetti Town says:

Girlfriend has booked a hilton stay through booking.com, gave my HH number at check in and got upgraded to a suite. Can i expect points, probably not?

• Pangolin says:

I’ve sometimes got elite benefits by adding my HH number to an OTA reservation but I’ve NEVER been given points/stay credits and it’s not something you’re ever likely to get.

8. OT- Amex Wheely offer, is it possible to ask the driver to drive around to get to £25?

9. OT, Away to buy some disney tickets using my CURVE card linked to my Virgin cc. The charge is in dollars so is it best to change the card currency to dollars?

10. Borntofly says:

Anyone try the Emirates deal with any success? Ie if you spend £1,800 on Economy flights or on taxes and charges for Emirates Skywards redemptions. Thanks

• Would love to know the answer to this too! Looking at a pair of economy tickets on Emirates, coming up to about £2k, so this £200 savings would be very useful!