Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways launches flights to Antalya

British Airways has announced a new holiday route for Summer 2020 – Antalya in Turkey.

The route will operate from London Gatwick.  There will be up to six flights per week – frequency increases as we get into the Summer – with the first flight departing on 30th April.  It is scheduled to run until 29th October although there is always the possibility that it will become a year-round route if successful.

British Airways already runs a Summer-only service to Dalaman from Gatwick and, of course, there are daily flights to Istanbul from Heathrow.

Tickets are bookable now, for both cash and Avios.  A standard redemption is 17,000 Avios off-peak / 20,000 peak + £35 in Euro Traveller and 34,000 Avios off-peak / 40,000 peak + £50 in Club Europe.  Under the current variable pricing trial, you can choose to pay as little as £1 in tax by using more Avios, although this option is not available if using a British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card which earns double Avios (3 per £1) when you book at ba.com or via BA Holidays.  You do not get double Avios if you book with the free British Airways American Express card.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Crowne Plaza Antalya

I don’t know anything about Antalya, although British Airways says:

“Antalya is often described as the gateway to the Turquoise Coast with some of the most stunning landscapes in Turkey.  The beaches and crystal-clear Mediterranean Sea are perfect for sunbathing, swimming and water sports.  As well as the rolling landscapes and beaches, the region has two-thousand years of history with a range of spectacular temples and Greco-Roman ruins close by, as well as a bustling food and cultural scene.”

The hotel scene looks a bit desperate, to be honest.  The best option appears to be the four star Crowne Plaza – website here and photo above – which is handy for anyone with IHG Rewards Club status or with IHG points to redeem.

PS.  BA giveth and BA taketh away.  This announcement came in parallel with the dropping of Summer services from Gatwick to Gibraltar and Limoges.  The Heathrow service to Gibraltar will continue.

Comments (237)

• Marko says:

In the BA app, there are frequently the upgrade offers that pop-up for Europe flights to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe. I have made use of that quite a few times already, but since at least the beginning of the year, the app ALWAYS crashes when I want to pay for the upgrade (“something went wrong”). I must then go to my desktop computer to complete the upgrade. Amazing that it has never been fixed so far…1.1 seems well deserved.

• HAM76 says:

When checking in yesterday for our flights today, the app only crashed once while generating the boarding passes. Amazingly, I did not have to start over with the whole process when I restarted the app.

• pauldb says:

There are several Rixos (Accor) hotels around Antalya which don’t look too desperate.

• Nick says:

Looks like yet another example of clueless BA corporate’s working in ivory towers, with no comprehension or knowledge of how their customers interact with their products and services.

• Steve says:

OT- Capital on Tap

I signed up in March for the card and the premium rewards membership. 20500 Avios (inc HFP referral) plus 1 Avios per £ for £199 from memory.

Following the announcement that they would be moving to a credit card and hence HMRC payments would be chargeable I cancelled on the basis that the product sold was different to the one being offered and I used the card exclusively for HMRC. We had a bit of a fall out as follows:

Points accrued (4000) for the month but not yet transferred were cancelled. No warning of this was given during the cancellation process.

Refund of the initial fee was denied on the basis that I had made use of the rewards club features.

Following escalation to a manager and threatening a formal complaint to the FCA the following compromise agreement was reached:

Pro rata refund of the £199 fee.

An additional 1 month fee refund in lieu of the lost Avios.

All in, a pretty disappointing performance from COT but not unexpected. I’d strongly recommend clearing your account before cancellation and being prepared for a fight. I’m quite point rich (0.5M Avios, 1M Marriott, 1M Virgin), so while the loss of 4K is annoying, it’s not going to affect any travel plans.

As an aside the agent mentioned that the card was moving to credit due to non acceptance of the prepaid debit card by a couple of key accounts, Google Adwords being one of them. I’m surprised that more payments are made to Google Adwords than HMRC but that shows what I know.

If they reintroduce the prepaid debit card I’ll be back.

• Paul Stevens says:

Thanks for the info. I’ve just used the card for the last time so am going to transfer the points across and try for a pro rata refund. Good to know it is possible.

• BJ says:

Much of the blame for bad experiences with apps rests with Apple and iOS. In two weeks of using an iPad I came across more poor apps than I have in the last decade on android.

There are currently at least three major airlines doing hotel point transfer bonuses. I wonder if BA will feel bounced into one or if we will have to wait until March as usual.

• Doodledoo says:

I’m booked LGW-GIB in the summer. This route is cancelled? I haven’t heard from BA…

• BJ says:

O/T: BBC article on EHIC cards in event of a no-deal Brexit.

• The Original David says:

Anyone who thinks the option of a Crowne Plaza makes for a “desperate” hotel scene can’t have done much proper travelling! I’d have checked into a CP in a heartbeat if anything of that standard existed in some of the areas I’ve visited…