BA sale

Bits: new BA flights for Avios redemption, Virgin expands at Manchester, new Waitrose and LNER Amex deals

News in brief:

British Airways adds extra flights to New Orleans and Grand Cayman

British Airways has added two new services for the Summer 2020 timetable, which starts at the end of March.

These services are now available for Avios redemption, so if you previously struggled to find seats to these destinations you may want to take another look.

New Orleans – a new Tuesday flight has been added, taking the service to six per week

Nassau and Grand Cayman (the same flight serves both destinations) – a new Tuesday flight has been added, taking the service to five per week

British Airways adds additional New Orleans flight

Virgin Atlantic adds more flights from Manchester and Gatwick

Virgin Atlantic has added more services from Manchester and London Gatwick for Summer 2020.  This is in response to the failure of Thomas Cook which served many of the same routes.

Here are the changes:

An additional flight from Manchester to Barbados will run for the entire Summer season (late March to late October), taking the service from two per week to three per week

An additional two flights per week will be added between Manchester and Las Vegas over the peak Summer period

An additional one to two flights per week will be added between Manchester and Orlando over the peak Summer period (Virgin will be running 14 weekly flights between Manchester and Orlando at times!)

An additional two flights per week will be added between London Gatwick and Orlando over the peak Summer period, meaning that Virgin will be running 18 weekly flights at times

These flights do not go on sale until tomorrow, Saturday 9th.  Virgin Atlantic does not have a policy over releasing guaranteed reward seats at the same time as booking opens, although it is certainly worth checking tomorrow to see if anything is available.

You can book via the Virgin Atlantic site here.

New Virgin Atlantic routes from Manchester

New American Express cashback deals at Waitrose and LNER

American Express and Waitrose have extended their cashback deal, which appears on quite a lot of cards.

(You need to check the ‘Offers’ tab on the online statement page for each registered card you own.  If you previously registered for the earlier Waitrose offer, you will need to re-register for this one.)

There are different variants of this offer.  Here are two from our house:

On my Platinum card, for example, I have ‘Get 5% back when you spend £20+’

On my wife’s Gold card and my BA Premium Plus card, we have the weaker ‘Get 4% back when you spend £65’

All offers end on 4th December.

The LNER deal is constant across all cards.  Once registered, you will receive 5% cashback on all LNER bookings made via their website until 29th January.

Review: The Amelia Earhart lounge at City of Derry Airport
Get a 50% 'buy Avios' bonus, to go with the reward sale!

Comments

1. Lounge Advice – Travelling from Terminal 5 today in BA Business – Is my only choice the BA lounge with the crowds and cafeteria style catering? Or are there other options?

• Yes, Galleries North or South are your easy options in T5A. Galleries in T5B is the best option if you’re long haul or know the passageways.

• Cafeteria style catering, really?

• TGLoyalty says:

While i don’t like the lounge vibe in the main terminal the food was pretty good on my last few visits.

• I think that’s a fair description. Especially if you compare with the food in Cathay in T3. Had Dim Sum and Bam Bam noodles, cooked to order, last week.

But I think the main lounge at T5 is pretty ghastly. Mainly due to the behaviour of people there (putting bags or feet on seats), but also due to lazy staff. T5B is quieter and has the atmosphere of tranquility that you hope for in a lounge. Although you would have to be ravenous to be tempted by the food.

• Harry T says:

Walk through the passageway and go to the quieter and better 5B lounge. Spent a few hours there recently and enjoyed it more than 5a lounges.

2. Would appreciate advice / experience about which T3 PP lounge would be best (food probably the biggest factor, followed by busyness) for 9am Monday!

• Shoestring says:

you need to reserve (£5 on the No1 site) & that means only No1 is available, you can’t reserve Club Aspire

No1 is best anyway

3. Curve now compatible with Google pay

• Yup my hubby activated it at the start of this week.

• Great news – I see that as a huge selling point for Curve, actually – since it now means you can use *any* Mastercard or Visa with Google Pay…

BTW the Transferwise debit card is now compatible with Google Pay, too….

• Spaghetti Town says:

Would love them to add apple pay – can top up my free trade account then

• Virgin Atlantic cards too, was shocked to find out people have been asking them for Google Pay support for 3 years and still nothing, despite the fact that they support Apple Pay.

• No, I mean TransferWise now actually support Google Pay on their UK-issued cards. (Previously it was only supported on their US-issued cards.)

I wonder if Curve and TransferWise (UK) share the same underlying card issuer or something – funny that they both got enabled around the same time, otherwise.

• Sandgrounder says:

Sure somebody else will have mentioned it, but Revolut is also compatible now.

4. Spaghetti Town says:

IAG Capital markets day – BA will refit it’s A380 and 787-8/9 aircraft with Club World suite.

5. Can you have 2 separate IHG credit card accounts but credit them to just the one IHG account?

Looking at rejigging current Hilton focus & husband could help with that!

6. Anyone doing the Tesco Christmas saver this year. Remind me of the trick?
    Ive topped up before the deadline.

7. berneslai says:

OT: Sofitel Hotel in T5 – are there ever offers or sales or do I just book whenever? I’ve never seen a sale but I’m booking 9 months out and am prepared to wait.

8. The LNER offer is more useful than it seems, since National Rail operators are required to let you buy tickets for any NR with them, regardless of who operates the trains, AFAIK. I needed to buy tickets for a route that is serviced by Thameslink, so I booked via the LNER site, haven’t received the cashback yet, but it shows up in my transactions as “LNE RAILWAY WEB SALES” and immediately got the email from Amex saying I used my offer, so it does seem like it will work.

You can’t get Nectar points on services not operated by LNER, though (it told me that at the checkout page), so I imagine that same logic will apply to the “500 Nectar points on your first LNER trip” promotion that’s currently active on the Nectar site. I have my Nectar card added to my LNER account, but I highly doubt I’ll get those points unless I make a LNER operated booking.

• Generally you can indeed book any ticket via any train operating company (TOC). The only thing to be aware of is that TOCs sometimes have fares classed as special offers or promotions that are only available through their own website. So can be worth comparing.

9. O/T Hilton Honors:

Does “Active Offers” mean offers I’ve registered for? I can’t remember if I already registered for Power Up – but it appears under “Active Offers”. (Attempting to register again just gives me a System Error, so I still don’t know if that means that I’m already registered or just that the website is broken.)

10. Shoestring says:

*There’s a HfP affiliate link for Amazon*
    Amazon £6 free when you buy £50 of giftcards is back – and it’s allowing second/ third helpings if you already used it last year (I definitely bought giftcards in the last 36 months!)

Navigation: My account/ Gift Cards & Top Up & you should see a banner ‘£6 Promo code with £50 of giftcards’ – you then need to click to register for the promotion (button below the banner)

Offer Details
    Get a £6 promo code for your next Amazon order when you purchase £50 or more of Amazon.co.uk Gift Cards. Please follow the steps below to activate this offer.
    Offer is limited to customers who have not purchased an Amazon.co.uk Gift Card in the past 36 months.
    Offer has a limit of one reward per Amazon account.
    For full promotion terms and conditions, please scroll down this page.

11. Shoestring says:

Jet2 and easyJet snap up all Thomas Cook’s landing slots
    Jet2.com and EasyJet have bought all of collapsed tour operator Thomas Cook’s landing slots at in the UK, the company’s liquidators have said.

EasyJet snapped up 27 pairs of slots, at Gatwick and Bristol Airports, for £36million.
    Rival budget airline Jet2.com bought the remaining slots at Stansted, Birmingham and Manchester Airports, for an undisclosed amount, the Official Receiver said.

• Peter K says:

There goes the hope of Virgin expanding their Manchester base via Thomas Cook landing slots.

• As we know BA and Virgin wanted some (not all) at Gatwick and MAN respectively and they can dig deeper if they plan to run long haul flights, I’d be interested to hear the story here.

Unless …. the long haul slots are being sold separately.