ba.com has a range of wine, beer, champagne and spirits redemptions available, if you have more Avios than you can realistically use for flights.
At the high end, you can redeem 146,100 Avios for six bottles of Krug Grande Cuvée champagne.
That said, I thought a more interesting one was spending 24,100 Avios for a pack of three different NV champagnes – Bollinger, Veuve Clicquot and Laurent Perrier.
Whilst prices for these brands move around a lot, you seem to be getting around 0.55p – 0.6p per Avios. A single bottle of 2008 Dom Perignon, for example, is £130-£140 at retail vs 23,900 Avios.
This isn’t great. I would want to be getting double that for a flight redemption if possible.
However, at the moment, there is a special offer.
Via this page (scroll down to ‘Wine’ and log in), ba.com is offering a 25% discount on 10 packages. Here is what you can get:
- Avios Prosecco Six (was 12,300 Avios / now 9,200 Avios)
- Monkey Shoulder Whisky (was 6,200 Avios / now 4,600 Avios)
- Warming Reds Dozen (was 17,600 Avios / now 13,200 Avios)
- Malbec Mix Six (was 12,000 Avios / now 9,000 Avios)
- Refreshing Whites Dozen (was 16,400 Avios / now 12,300 Avios)
- British Beer Case (was 8,800 Avios / now 6,600 Avios)
- Sipsmith London Dry Gin (was 6,600 Avios / now 4,900 Avios)
- Gorgeous Roses Six (was 9,400 Avios / now 7,000 Avios)
- Craft Beer (was 5,600 Avios / now 4,200 Avios)
- Merlot Mix Dozen (was 18,300 Avios / now 13,700 Avios)
All orders are fulfilled by Laithwaites. Prices include delivery (UK addresses only).
Even with a 25% discount on the usual number of Avios required, this is not going to be a great value redemption. However, if you have an Avios account – perhaps with a family member – with a small balance then this is a decent way of using it up.
The 25% discount applies to orders placed by 5th December. The page to order is here.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (May 2021)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
There are two official British Airways American Express cards:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.
Do you have a small business? Until 20th May 2021, you can receive a special sign-up bonus worth 29,900 Avios with the Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa credit card. This offer is exclusive to Head for Points readers. Click here to learn more.
(Want to earn more Avios? Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)