Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Buy cheap Avios points via Groupon Ireland from 1.05p

Yesterday we covered the return of the ‘cheap Avios’ promotion run by Groupon Spain, in association with Iberia Plus.

A smart-eyed reader let us know that Groupon Ireland is also running this deal.  The pricing is almost the same, but all of the instructions are in English and not Spanish!

Click here for details.

The only price difference is that the €429 package comes with 35,000 Avios via Groupon Ireland.  You only got 34,000 Avios via Groupon Spain.

There is no ’90 day’ rule with Aer Lingus.  Unlike Iberia Plus, you can open an Aer Lingus AerClub account and immediately move your points to British Airways Executive Club.

As I said yesterday when covering the Spanish deal, the Avios are not a steal at these prices.  There is no longer a ‘super cheap’ teaser package and the prices for the other packages are higher than they were a year ago.

On the upside, Sterling is currently stronger against the Euro than it has been for a while.  More importantly, if you have any issues redeeming your Groupon voucher, it will be easier to deal with AerClub and Groupon Ireland than Iberia Plus and Groupon Spain.

This is the deal:

• 2,000 Avios for €29 (1.25p)
  • 4,000 Avios for €59 (1.27p)
  • 8,000 Avios for €109 (1.17p)
  • 15,000 Avios for €199 (1.14p)
  • 20,000 Avios for €259 (1.11p)
  • 35,000 Avios for €429 (1.05p)

You will need an Aer Lingus AerClub account to redeem your Groupon voucher, which you can open here.  You can then use ‘Combine My Avios’ via avios.com (your AerClub account details work at avios.com) to move them across to British Airways Executive Club.

The page to buy if interested is here.

My 1st Years British Airways backpack

Save 20% on the British Airways kids backpack for Black Friday

Talking of British Airways ….. over the Summer we highlighted the My 1st Years mini backpacks.  British Airways was giving them away to children passing through Gatwick and Heathrow on selected days as part of its 100th birthday celebrations.

My 1st Years is also selling them directly to the public.  You get FREE personalisation which is a nice touch.

As a Black Friday offer, My 1st Years has reduced the price by 20% to £20 until 2nd December.  You can order one for a child in your life via this page of the My 1st Years site.

Comments (152)

• Boi says:

OT: any hotel recommendations for Madrid?
    I will be in the IC for fri-sun on ambassador weekend but need a Thursday night stay. I wanted to try something else.

• Tim says:

I liked the Doubletree – quite new, cool design and decent location.

• David D says:

I tend to stay at the Melia Madrid Princesa which is fairly central and the Level Lounge is really good there.

• fivebobbill says:

I second this, spotless hotel, and very well located, 200 yards to Plaza de Espana and Gran Via. Also yellow metro line right outside the door, 3 stops to SOL station. Good breakfast too.
          Weird sliding cupboards in the rooms though, between bathroom and hallway…
          Use your imagination👀

• Secret Squirrel says:

Hilton Double Tree

• Spaghetti Town says:

Seems to me Virgin used this flight as a slot sitter waiting for something more profitable to roll around

It’s not shocking me the flight is being dropped as it is the low season. Probably no need to keep both flights going

• Benilyn says:

OT: First time going Japan

1) 13 night itinerary recommendation for which cities to stay? Landing in Osaka, leaving from Tokyo. Going in mar/Apr

2) any good Hilton hotels going during this 50% sale? Hilton Tokyo Odaiba any good, c£150

• Princess says:

Amazing Japan, looking forward so much to go back!! for first time visitor I would do:
      4 nights in Kyoto
      1 night in Myajima
      2 nights in Kanazawa
      1 night in Jigokudani (snow Monkey park)
      5 nights in Tokyo (day trip to Nikko)
      when you are moving for 1 or 2 nights you can send your luggage directly to the next destination with their takuhaibin service, https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html, in the japan-guide you will find a lot of useful info
      enjoy

• Spaghetti Town says:

Will there likely be a Hilton promo for January at some point?

• Harry T says:

OT:
    Mobiles.co.uk selling iPhone Pro 256gb for a total over two years of £1252. Get 60gb of data, unlimited minutes and texts a month with Vodafone. To buy the handset outright costs £1199.

Very doing it for £999 for the handset if you take credit. But you’d need a sim only contract for £10 a month to beat the Vodafone deal over 24 months and that’s not easy considering the data.

Can anyone beat this Vodafone price or think there will be a better deal this week?

• Benilyn says:

Awesome!

• guesswho2000 says:

Groupon Ireland Avios – I’ve tried purchasing 4 times now, and every time the order gets cancelled and refunded after about five minutes. Tried various cards and PayPal as suggested in their cancellation email, and it’s a new Groupon account (didn’t have one before), so no idea what the issue is. I guess it’s not meant to be!