Qatar Business Class

Buy cheap Avios via Groupon Ireland (in English!) from 1.05p

Yesterday we covered the return of the ‘cheap Avios’ promotion run by Groupon Spain, in association with Iberia Plus.

A smart-eyed reader let us know that Groupon Ireland is also running this deal.  The pricing is almost the same, but all of the instructions are in English and not Spanish!

Click here for details.

The only price difference is that the €429 package comes with 35,000 Avios via Groupon Ireland.  You only got 34,000 Avios via Groupon Spain.

There is no ’90 day’ rule with Aer Lingus.  Unlike Iberia Plus, you can open an Aer Lingus AerClub account and immediately move your points to British Airways Executive Club.

As I said yesterday when covering the Spanish deal, the Avios are not a steal at these prices.  There is no longer a ‘super cheap’ teaser package and the prices for the other packages are higher than they were a year ago.

On the upside, Sterling is currently stronger against the Euro than it has been for a while.  More importantly, if you have any issues redeeming your Groupon voucher, it will be easier to deal with AerClub and Groupon Ireland than Iberia Plus and Groupon Spain.

This is the deal:

• 2,000 Avios for €29 (1.25p)
  • 4,000 Avios for €59 (1.27p)
  • 8,000 Avios for €109 (1.17p)
  • 15,000 Avios for €199 (1.14p)
  • 20,000 Avios for €259 (1.11p)
  • 35,000 Avios for €429 (1.05p)

You will need an Aer Lingus AerClub account to redeem your Groupon voucher, which you can open here.  You can then use ‘Combine My Avios’ via avios.com (your AerClub account details work at avios.com) to move them across to British Airways Executive Club.

The page to buy if interested is here.

My 1st Years British Airways backpack

Save 20% on the British Airways kids backpack for Black Friday

Talking of British Airways ….. over the Summer we highlighted the My 1st Years mini backpacks.  British Airways was giving them away to children passing through Gatwick and Heathrow on selected days as part of its 100th birthday celebrations.

My 1st Years is also selling them directly to the public.  You get FREE personalisation which is a nice touch.

As a Black Friday offer, My 1st Years has reduced the price by 20% to £20 until 2nd December.  You can order one for a child in your life via this page of the My 1st Years site.

FIRST REVIEW: We visit the new British Airways lounge in Geneva
Virgin Atlantic drops its second Johannesburg service

IHG Your Rate

Comments

1. Spurs Debs says:

Heads up for anyone looking to book Hilton Conrad in Tokyo there’s a flash 50% of room rate. I just got room I wanted for half the price of my original booking. I have no idea if flash sale is on other properties.

• Japan, Korea, Guam and Hong Kong. Last time Hilton did this they went the rounds so I’m holding off booking anything more in the Europe winter sale for the moment in the hope we will get one of these flash sales. Some good rates last time.

• Spurs Debs says:

I’m very happy saved me £500 as I booked a twin bay exec suite.

• Great result, more than compensated for your MK msttress run adventure 🙂

• Spurs Debs says:

Exactly lol
            The things we do for points.
            Have to give a shout out to Heathrow rewards customer service I submitted a claim at 7am and points were in my account and bonus points and the 3000 points for signing up we’re all in my account by 2pm same day.

• Not a total lost cause, you could make a night out of it and do breakfast justice next morning. A few shops over there so could get some retail therapy, cannot recall if they had a cinema too.

• I got an email from the Doubletree Liverpool saying BF deals were on sale from 29th – not sure if just for their hotel or maybe a UK or Europe wide sale…

• Not available for all dates though. There is a blackout period from 20/03-15/04ish. No doubt because of cherry blossom season. I have a points booking for end March/early April and no sale on those dates. Shame as two years ago I grabbed a suite for £150 in a similar sale.

2. Black Friday Bits…

Your empoyer’s Corporate Perks partner might have these WOW BF week offers:-

Hilton – 10%
    Accor – 10%
    Virgin Atlantic – 12%
    Corporate Pricing – 20% (Priceline)

I booked my boss’s last minute Virgin Upper flight by clicking through on a similar offer last week. I think of it as my tax free Christmas Bonus. 😉

3. OT: 50% off Black Friday sale now on at melia.com.

• There’s some discount here, although not 50% and not everywhere.

I had literally just booked he Melia Barcelona a few hours before the sale started. Tried in vain to look for a price promise/ 24 hour cancellation period, but alas no.

Non-flex without the sale £130
      With Gold 20% discount £104 <
      BF sale £94

• Always annoying when that happens. The headline rates are rarely ever what they seem except perhaps with respect to BFR.

• Swings and roundabouts. I just booked the Moxy LHR forThe same trip and it came down by £10 during the booking process!

4. Christian says:

“Combine my Avios” is so unrelentingly crap. I don’t get why they can’t put some effort into making it work. Got that usual “Your session has timed out, please log in again” Error whenever I click on the page. From both BA and Iberia. It’s one thing to pick up cheapish Avios, quite another to actually transfer them.

5. O/T,

Any Amex/Peninsula offers floating around? Got a £200 back offer last year, which was nice.

• A quick search and Black Friday Peninsula Hotel deals – 30% off best available rates for travel between Dec 15th and April 30th.

code available on the 29th Nov.

Combined with the Bon Vivant perks this would be very good, if it applies?

6. Another OT (sorry!).
    For Disneyland Paris (and just Disneyland; arriving by Eurostar, if relevant), where to stay? I’ve heard about Val d’europe… Is that a good area to stay?
    Also, any points opportunities for hotels? Hilton and IHG don’t seem to have anything nearby.

• Accor has plenty of options.

• Agree with Marcw, lots of Accor options pretty well onsite.
        We stayed at the HI Marne La Vallee in 2018 – it was perfectly acceptable (clean, spacious room, breakfast options OK). Close to an RER A station to head E to Disney (~20 minutes) or W to go back into Paris, both direct. If you are *only* at Disney you’d eliminate a small amount of travel time each day by staying at one of the Accor properties.

• There’s a Radisson Blu & a Marriott property (although I think they are houses) – I haven’t been for a longtime, but planning to at some point in the next year or 2

• The Marriott is one of their timeshare club properties. The Radisson Blu is a good looking property if you have the points. The RER A goes from La Défense to Euro Disney which opens up a few more hotels in that area with Hilton, Sofitel, Mercure and Melia for points using or earning opportunities. I think there is a Novotel and an Ibis too. Though it is around 60 minutes each way, though check for works on the line.

• Val d’Europe is very close to Disneyland Paris and the hotels are OK there. Most are fairly basic. The Marriott Île de France property is very nice as is Relais Spa.

Honestly it is IMO best to stay in a Disney hotel if money allows. You are much closer and really immersed in the experience. There are often free dining promotions if you stay onsite which make it good value.

If the main purpose of your trip is Disneyland, I wouldn’t stay any further than the local area, and certainly not in central Paris. It’s just more inconvenient and unreliable and after a day at the parks, you’ll be exhausted!

7. Why would you buy groupon.ie or groupon.es avios when BAEC will give you 15000 for C$208.00 (about £120.00) plus a free digital Economist subscription?

• Sometimes peopld need smaller amounts so they go to Groupon because the bands/discounts may be better than a 50% bonus avios sale. Some just want as many avios as they can get around 1p or less, and some of those then go off and do arithmetic circus tricks to convince themselves they got a good deal when in reality they would have been better buying cash tickets in many cases.

• Cocobay71 says:

Has everyone taking out the Telegraph sub home based in Canada received the 15k avios?

• I think you’ll be waiting forever for those particular avios 🙂

• On the other hand people who took out the economist subscription have reported getting their avios about 3-4 weeks later.

• Cocobay71 says:

I’ll wait until someone living in Canada has received the 15k before jumping in then! 😂

8. OT as bits: Looks like there is a 30% Marriott Flash sale going on for Europe. Just got Renaissance Heathrow Runway View room for 59.

• Thank you Adam, booked. They were asking nearly £40 earlier for these rooms. Looks like there wasn’t many takers 🙂

• TGLoyalty says:

only issue is the headline price on the search isn’t the lowest 30% off rate so it takes some digging. unless there’s something I’m missing

9. O/T sorry

My bonvoy balance is just 60 points short of a round figure (500s/1000s). Minimum purchase is 1000 points so as an alternative are you able to earn points on F&B spend at any bonvoy property even if you aren’t a guest?

Thanks

• Yes, off a specific list.

But if you are about to redeem, ring to book and they will comp you the 60. I advised another reader to do this recently with Marriott and it worked fine.

10. sedgie252 says:

OT as Bits: on my BA flight to Nice last week I was told by cabin crew that they no longer accept Revolut or Monzo for in-flight purchases. Apparently some transactions weren’t processing and the lost commission(?) was being taken from the cabin crew’s wages, “because they’re mean to us”.

• Had a similar experience on another airline using Starling, it wouldn’t be accepted.

• I tried (and failed) to use Revolut and Curve on Air Malta a couple of weeks ago… no explanation, but I assume their internet isn’t good enough to do real time verification with multiple steps? Other car payments went through ok, and I’m sure I’ve used Revolut mid flight before

• ankomonkey says:

“the lost commission(?) was being taken from the cabin crew’s wages”. If true then that’s probably the lowest yet by BA. Shocking!

• Surely that doesn’t sit right with employment law. Up there with stealing waitstaffs tip and making them pay for food when customers do a runner.

• What company would ever pay commission when they don’t receive the actual money from the sale?

• I was under the impression that they can’t validate transactions anyway, given that there is no connection to the ground?

• If a sale isn’t settled, there can’t be any commission.

If, on the other hand, the lost complete unsettled sale is being deducted from commission earned – that’s very wrong indeed.

• Making any buy on board purchase is very wrong indeed! Fill your pockets in the lounge before boarding the flight!

11. Spaghetti Town says:

Whats the Double tree stratford upon avon like? Any thoughts on things to do? Good sale on on hilton UK properties currently.

• My guess is that a better flash sale is coming soon.

• Spaghetti Town says:

@ BJ – Below the £54 a night it currently is for my Jan date. Can’t see it going below that?

• No idea about that specific hotel. Going on previous patterns I am hoping for a flash sale with lower rates across most hotels. It’s early days for the winter sale so I’m happy to risk waiting a few weeks.

• ankomonkey says:

It was a Q Hotel until a year or two ago. SUA (making my own airport code-style abbreviation) is great for Shakespeare-stuff, going to the theatre or hanging around on the river. When it’s cold or wet, it ain’t much fun.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Thanks. This will be the last weekend of Jan. pretty cold but will give me and the girlfriend something to look forward too in the cold dark months!

• The Original Nick says:

Butterfly Farm? Shakys house? Some nice pubs for lunch too

• Is that the house with the green door? 😉

• House With the Green Shutters from George Douglas Brown is still there in Ochiltree if you want to see that Ewan. A good fish and chip shop just down the road on the corner too. Nearby is Burn’s monument and other related stuff in Mauchline, and the Barony A-frane and Dumfries House in Auchinleck…just sone trivia ifnyou’re looking fir sonething different to see some lazy Sunday.

• I got you Ewan, but I think it’s more like This Ole House…