Black Friday deals: Avios-earning Finnair flights plus Opodo, Virgin, Uber, Radisson and more

News in brief:

Good Avios-earning Finnair deals to Asia

Finnair has launched a Black Friday sale to Asia.

What makes this sale attractive is that:

you can start from London, Manchester and Edinburgh

Finnair flights earn Avios and British Airways tier points – and because you are changing planes in Helsinki, you earn 80 tier points each way for the connection in Business Class PLUS the tier points for the long-haul leg

Finnair is flying brand a new A350 aircraft on many routes with excellent business class seats

Compared to the Club World seat the 1-2-1 configuration is a major improvement. You can read my review of the new Finnair A350 business class seat here.

Click here to see the prices out of London, Edinburgh and Manchester in both business and economy class.  Highlights, in Business Class, include:

• Beijing £1,445
  • Shanghai £1,495
  • Hong Kong £1,666
  • Xi’an £1,298
  • Krabi £1,649

Thanks to Tony for this.

Finnair Black Friday deals

Save on flight and ‘flight and hotel’ bookings with Opodo

Black Friday seems to have morphed into Black Week for 2019.  This is good news for us, as we can drip out the best deals over the week rather than having to ram them into Friday.

Next up is Opodo which is running two discount codes this week which might get you a decent saving.

The code is BLACKWEEK19.  You enter this right at the very end of the process – there is a box under the space for your credit card number saying “Add a promo code”.

It is worth:

• £20 off flight bookings over £400
  • £75 off flight + hotel bookings over £940

You need to book by Thursday 28th November, which implies there may be a revised version on Black Friday itself.  Flights must depart from the UK.  The Opodo Black Friday site is here.

Opodo Black Friday deal

Other Black Friday deals …..

A lot of other Black Friday offers have dropped in this week.  There is a lot more out there but these companies contacted me directly.

Before we get into the travel deals, a quick reminder that – if you’re buying anything on Amazon this week – we earn a small commission if you start your purchase by clicking here.  It helps keep us ticking over and, as we’ll be paying 40% tax on the money, it puts more back into system than if you don’t use our link!

Back to travel. All of these deals are bookable now – you don’t need to wait until Friday.

Most are not worth discussing in detail but I will run through a few quickly:

Uber credit – Tesco is discounting various restaurant gift cards by 20% until 1st December.  Uber Eats (£15 only) is included as part of the selection.  However, as Uber and Uber Eats share the same credit pot, buying these gift vouchers in Tesco also gets you 20% off Uber rides.

Europcar – save up to 40% on worldwide rentals, book by 2nd December for pick-ups before 31st March 2020 – book here

Radisson / Park Inn / Park Plaza hotels – save up to 30% and earn 3,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points per stay, valid for weekend stays in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the United States, Canada, Latin America, and the Caribbean for all of 2020 – book by 3rd December via this link

Virgin Atlantic ‘flight and hotel’ packages – save £100 on all Caribbean (Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica, Tobago, Grenada) packages using promo code BF2019, must travel by 31st October 2020, no minimum spend – book by 2nd December via this link

Virgin Atlantic ‘flight only’ – save up to £50 on flights to Asia, including India, and 20% off flights to the Caribbean – book by 2nd December via this link (Virgin Atlantic is adding new deals daily so it is worth checking their site regardless)

Airportr at Manchester Airport – save 25% with code BLACKFRIDAY19 on Airportr’s ‘we collect your bags from your home or office and check them in’ service at Manchester – details here

Priority Pass – save 15% to 40% on a lounge pass (discount varies by product) – details here

Millennium Hotels – save up to 35% (25% for non-members of My Millennium) at 23 hotels across Europe, book by 3rd December for stays until 29th February – book via the special page here using code LOVEFRIDAY

Hotels.com – save 11% on selected hotels (usually non-chain hotels) with code BLACKFRI, book by 2nd December for stays by 31st March, code may invalidate collection of Hotels.com Rewards credit (or may not, they wouldn’t say!) – book here

ebookers – up to 60% off hotel stays and up to £60 off ‘flight and hotel’ details, book by 2nd December – book and find more details here

We’ll do another round-up tomorrow and Friday of everything else that comes in, including the Air New Zealand LA offer and the Air China business class bargains.  Let us know if you see any other interesting deals.
Why the bonus miles with Virgin's Economy Delight fares makes the flights good value
Your 100 free Iberia Avios points have arrived .... this is how to transfer them to British Airways Avios

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Hertz also have a 30% offer for Black Friday – don’t forget to compare with the Amex Plat CDP though (CDP 211762)

• Charlieface says:

And try Hertz Australia

• The issue I had with doing it through Hertz Oz is that if you have an accident and need to claim you would have stated on the rental form that you live down under. Surely that would invalidate the policy?

• Sandgrounder says:

You don’t need to state you are resident down under. You can enter your residency on the payment page, after the rental is priced up. Or just sign in if you have a profile. It can be cheaper, but it seems to throw in milage limits sometimes as well. These can be avoided with the right CDP though.

• No address required to book.

• Charlieface says:

The payment page has a residency default of Australia even if you’re logged in, but you can change it.
            One time I did it recently the branch manager told me off. He said it was only for Australian residents. I challenged him and he said he’d give it this time but not next. The next time I did it he called me the morning of pickup and said he had no cars and I’d have to go to the airport (extra 30 minutes travel), he claimed the airport branch wouldn’t send him out a car. The manager there obviously denied that and felt sorry for me, so upgraded me from an Intermediate to Volvo V90!

2. Most of these black friday deals are a total scam, not worth the headline imho

• That’s why a lot are shoved to the bottom and Finnair is on top.

• Even Finnair is not particularly exciting, fare are only about £100 cheaper than typical business fares from the region most of the year. Dinnair themselves used to beat these fares regularly but since they hot their a350s their low fares seem to have disappeared.

• Shoestring says:

depends what your expectations are – if you think you’re going to get some crazy low price that is heavily loss-making for the provider – well, you might, eg my £4 top end 4 litre engine oils down from £50! 🙂 – but mostly you’re more realistically looking to get the lowest *feasible* price the product has ever been in the last year if you want a real bargain

for physical goods you can check it against camelcamelcamel (Amazon price tracker, ie typically 1 year price monitor) as sooner or later in the year, as at some stage Amazon sells most things, the cheapest or matching cheapest elsewhere

for hotels & flights, less easy – but you can have benchmarks against BF last year – or against what you know to be a giveaway pricepoint

• The iPhone deals look pretty good though! Especially Vodafone contracts for the new ones on Mobiles.co.uk. I just bought an iPhone with 60gb of data a month for the same price over 24 months as just buying the handset.

• There are no good iPhone deals, never have been and never will be.

• Shoestring says:

got a free iPhone 6S the other day – my wife’s co replaces them every couple of years & normally you have to pay a nominal sum to get them for personal use – but the IT guy said she’d knackered it so much she could have it for free! then promptly told us which new touchscreen to buy on Amazon & kindly fitted it for her

• Yorkieflyer says:

Argos outlet sim free recon IPhone 5 has proved a good deal for me

• It all depends if you are “clever” about them or not.

Nobody pays full price for an electric toothbrush or razor at the best of times, likewise only the most desperate pay rack rate for a hotel. Rushing in to buy because it’s a “deal” is hopeless.

My employer’s Corporate Perks site has a one day 20% fundsreturn across the Microsoft site (drops to 8% once fully utilised). The Asus laptop I’ve just ordered was already keenly priced at £999 as part of the BF deal (alleged £1,499 full price).

So £999, Funds return of £199.

£100 off a £400 spend at Microsoft on Amex (as well as £5 off £50 at Esso) this morning.

Lovely new Laptop, with pretty decent graphics card for £700.

Not bad.

3. Spurs Debs says:

I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Hilton’s flash 50% of sale.
    I saved £500 on my suite at Conrad Tokyo.
    Need to book and pay up front by 29/11

50% Off For 72 Hours Only
    Save across Japan, South Korea, and Guam

4. Air NZ will be running their flash sale on Friday at 10am – 100 tics to LAX for £179 return. Pretty sure it’ll sell out instantly!

• Shoestring says:

[You can “hold your fare” for £25 and it gives you a couple of days to decide. When doing this you just click the flight, reserve it and you’re done. Allows you to undercut everyone else flailing to put in their passport details etc.]

• Shoestring says:

[Some tips, you need to be as fast as possible, make sure you are on the site before 10am, spam refreshing, you don’t have time to check dates, just grab the first week or two you see… I went for the fare hold for an extra £25, you probably need to do this if you want a chance at getting the deal as this speeds up the process a lot.]

• Shoestring says:

[I managed to snag this also via the hold fare. I didn’t realise they don’t deduct the £25 from the final price – which is annoying. Still a pretty good deal.]

• Spaghetti Town says:

I booked the £400 deal to New Zealand 2 years ago. Had to pick the only dates I could see but later ended up cancelling within the 24 hour grace period.

• Shoestring says:

well don’t get carried away this time, anyone! it’s a good price but not spectacular, you can get Virgin return Economy flights to Los Angeles and San Francisco for £250/ £260 at the moment (Skyscanner with code VCLOUD£15 – various dates Jan-May )

5. Green Plastic says:

OT – have an Amex 241 that’s expiring in Dec and looking to use it in next couple of weeks on Club Europe on a short city break. Will have wife and 1 year old in tow. Any suggestions on a baby-friendly destination (airport close to the city, etc) greatly received! Many thanks in advance

• Edinburgh is nice.

• Obviously your first priority is availability, however IME European airports tend to be fairly far out of city centres. I always pre-book a car transfer nowadays as this makes for a much less stressful experience than using public transport to find your hotel in a strange city – I’ve never felt it wasn’t worth the money. From memory though, I think Geneva, Nice and Barcelona are fairly close to their respective airports.

• You might want to consider German Christmas markets.

• Recommend the one in Florence. Adds another good reason to visit this lovely city in December when the crowds are missing.

• Green Plastic says:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the suggestions

• Copenhagen was really fab for us as a family when our children were 3 and under 1. Airport to city is easy on the Metro or train, Christmassy stuff was up and Tivoli was great, too (fun even if you just walk around).

• With the disclaimer that I don’t have children, have you thought about Amsterdam? Easy and cheap train ride from the airport into the city centre. Easy to walk around too and plenty of activities, both indoor and outdoor.

• Scallder says:

We did Amsterdam when our daughter was just over 1 (and can get train in from airport so no need for a car seat etc) and was lovely

• +1 for Amsterdam. We went for 4 nights in Sep with our then 6 month old. V easy. Restaurants v accommodating.

• @Genghis – any general good tips for Amsterdam? Going for my birthday weekend in January. Staying at Pulitzer through Amex FHR.

• Depends what you’re into. Amsterdam is not a cold weather place though. Max for Indonesian food. Water en brood good brunch. Boaty for a boat rental but it’ll be freezing.

• The poffertjes from a stall about a third of the way down Albert Cuypmarket from the west.

• Thank you.

• Düsseldorf is good. Airport connected to the city centre by train in 10 minutes. Not expensive with good hotels, the Hilton tends to be well priced and just a few stops from the centre on the u-bahn and plenty of things to do for kids. Plus, this time of year you can look around the Christmas Markets as well.

6. The Streets says:

OT has anyone heard if there will be an AMEX pop up Christmas lounge again this year? Looking doubtful

7. Stuart Evans says:

Finnair vs Qatar to SIN?

I’m planning a trip in May that I want to be Avios earning. BA is too expensive and BA Bus not good enough until the new Club Suite rolls out which I guess won’t be anytime soon on this route. But of course, its a non-stop flight from LHR.

This Finnair offer is around £2k, and I know Qatar sometimes has flights at this kind of price or lower. I’d prefer to leave from LHR rather than go ex-EU.

But I wonder what others think of the pros and cons between the two airlines other than price? Having looked around various blogs they both seem to be much of a muchness. Or am I missing an important difference?

• Qatar would get you more TPs if you are interested in that – 560 is pretty much a BA Silver Card

Personally I’d go for Finnair, I am not a fan of the half way stop, Helsinki is well set up for a transfer and their new A350 are a decent experience.

Qatar should get you the Qsuite (SIN is all Qsuite, need to pick the correct LHR flight) which some rave about but I found a little claustrophobic

Usually Finnair will be a few 100 cheaper than Qatar EX-UK in which case I wouldn’t pay the extra personally

• I would go with whichever offers the most convenient schedule or shortest journey time. More TP on Qatar. Smoked reindeer only available on Finnair which is obviously very important. Personally I’d rather support the airline from a civilised European country like Finland but that doesn’t mean I would never fly Qatar again.

• The Original David says:

What aircraft can you get with QR? If you can get a Q-suite, I assume that’s a big step up from AY’s Zodiac Cirrus on their A350s. I like flying AY, but I’d definitely try QR if I got the chance for a decent price.

• Finnair flight timings often work out better than Qatar for Asia and you don’t have a huge trek to/from the lounge at Helsinki.

• The QSuite is something else altogether! That, plus the additional TPs, would sway it for me. Assuming that price is similar, that is.

8. Sussex Bantam says:

£5 credit for £50 spend at Esso popped up on my gold cards this morning..

• Nothing for me, no surprise there after I hot €30 off BP from them.

• Shoestring says:

Esso x3 for us

probs worth saving the £100 off £400 Microsoft as well, in case some bargain comes up (valid into January)

• Esso offer.
          Only one credit per UK Card.
          What about using supplementary?

• Shoestring says:

sure – just make certain to save the offer in the Supp’s own online Amex a/c

ie set up a separate Amex a/c for the supp/s and you get twice as many/ multiples of the same offer

• Sussex Bantam says:

Good point

• Yep, Esso x 2 for us, and Microsoft x2, as well. Don’ need anything from Microsoft but worth saving anyway. Can you buy gift cards?

• Charlieface says:

Once per card only this year.
      Esso offer Paypoint……

• the_real_a says:

You guys really need to read the T&C`s…

“Save to Card to get a £5 statement credit on an eligible transaction of £50+ in participating hotel(s) at Esso”

Im already packing my overnight bag.

• Shoestring says:

🙂

there are none, but apart from that…

somebody needs to get on Chat, looks an obvs error in copy & paste

9. OT: Red Letter Days have a 25% off Black Friday sale, code ‘BLACKFRIDAY’. Good to use with your 25% off with Amex.

10. Shoestring says:

New discount code for No1 Lounges GIFTLOUNGE – 20%-40% off

11. OT: 10,000 avios on Iberia for flight + hotel bookings!