Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new 25% transfer bonus from HSBC Premier credit card points to Avios is working, honest

A week ago, we wrote that we may be about to see a new transfer bonus between HSBC Premier credit cards and British Airways Executive Club.

This was based on the fact that a HFP reader, ZW, found this PDF on the HSBC website – click here.

It shows a 25% bonus on transfers made between 1st December and 31st December.

HSBC Premier World Elite transfer bonus

1st December came and went, but nothing appeared on the HSBC Premier website to imply that a transfer bonus was running.  The good news is that a couple of hardy HFP readers decided to test it out anyway.

The good news is that the transfer bonus appears to be working perfectly.

Here is a screenshot sent in by a reader from their British Airways Executive Club account, showing 1,000 points transferred from HSBC Premier and a bonus of 250 points being added immediately:

HSBC Premier to Avios transfer bonus

PS.  Our recent article on the top 10 reasons to apply for the HSBC Premier World Elite credit card is here.

Comments (150)

• Sebastian says:

Does anyone know how long the Groupon deal is expected to run? I’m hoping to make a purchase to boost my points for a redemption but not sure which package I’ll need just yet and don’t want to miss out!

• Ian says:

Just wondering if someone has found a working promo code that can be used with an order of Avios on Groupon Ireland?

• Rooster says:

Found COT not to be very put together behind the scenes so won’t be bothering with them again.

• Harry T says:

@Lyn who suggested hotels for Melbourne the other day – thank you very much.

My partner and I have purchased IHG points in the sale and paid the equivalent of about £77 a night to stay at the new Holiday Inn Express over the Melbourne grand prix weekend. Cash rates are £175 a night for the HIX! It’s a great location for the Botanic Gardens, National Gallery and Albert Park. We don’t mind cheap and cheerful because we won’t be in the hotel much.

Really appreciate your help.

• Lyn says:

Glad to be of help and I hope it turns out to be a good choice. I though it looked interesting as well because of the location. The National Gallery, well both of them (the International Gallery and the Australian Gallery) and the Botanical Gardens are the first places I head for in Melbourne. And I’m sure you’ll be able to put the savings compared to the IC to good use somewhere else on your trip. I suspect the points price for the HiX will go up after it has been open for a while if it a success,

• Harry T says:

Having been to Melbourne once before for a couple of days, I agree that is a prime location!

We have used the money saved to buy Ambassador and use the weekend night for two nights in Sydney IC in a suite with club lounge access and a Harbour and opera house view. Looks like a very good deal!

• baecgracay says:

I keep getting an “Unfortunately we are unable to complete your registration” when signing up for AerClub. It asks for an avios.com account, which I have from before, but when I try to reset the password on it it won’t accept it. Then if I say I don’t have an avios.com account it comes up with the above error. Any ideas or should I ask customer service?

• Mike says:

Anyone know how regular the HSBC transfer bonus is?

• Seb says:

So I’m looking at purchasing the 35,000 Avios through Groupon, at a cost of around £360, to tag on to my companion voucher booking to Shanghai, in order to fly First with BA, opposed to Club World. Worth it? It would be the same, I suppose, as upgrading to First for the cost of £180 per person. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Rob says:

Not a bad deal for 24 hours of flying time. I’m assuming that 2 x F seats are showing as available for Avios, because technically you are rebooking. There may also be extra taxes to pay.

• Seb says:

Thanks for your response. Not currently booked but availability looks good for end of Feb / early March at the moment which is when we’re hoping to go. Plan is to fly to Shanghai F and back from Hong Kong in Economy, taking benefit of the low taxes, simply because we still will unlikely have enough Avios to come back in a premium cabin. We were planning to book our return flights just before we depart, however agent at BA informed me that because the tickets were available we have to book the inbound at the same time as outbound. Is this your understanding too?

• Sam says:

Hi guys,

I’m trying to transfer HSBC points into Avios, but the HSBC landing page doesn’t give any indication of the the bonus, is this normal?

Thanks

• Rob says:

Yes. Don’t worry, everyone who has transferred so far has got it. Do a small trial if you’re concerned then follow up with a bigger one next week.