Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new 25% transfer bonus from HSBC Premier credit card points to Avios is working, honest

A week ago, we wrote that we may be about to see a new transfer bonus between HSBC Premier credit cards and British Airways Executive Club.

This was based on the fact that a HFP reader, ZW, found this PDF on the HSBC website – click here.

It shows a 25% bonus on transfers made between 1st December and 31st December.

HSBC Premier World Elite transfer bonus

1st December came and went, but nothing appeared on the HSBC Premier website to imply that a transfer bonus was running.  The good news is that a couple of hardy HFP readers decided to test it out anyway.

The good news is that the transfer bonus appears to be working perfectly.

Here is a screenshot sent in by a reader from their British Airways Executive Club account, showing 1,000 points transferred from HSBC Premier and a bonus of 250 points being added immediately:

HSBC Premier to Avios transfer bonus

PS.  Our recent article on the top 10 reasons to apply for the HSBC Premier World Elite credit card is here.

how to earn avios from credit cards

How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (January 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

There are two official British Airways American Express cards:

British Airways American Express card

British Airways American Express

5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review

BA Premium Plus American Express card BAPP

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.

If you have a small business, we especially recommend Capital On Cap’s Visa card which comes with a generous bonus worth 10,500 Avios:

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)

Comments (150)

• Smiles says:

Just got an email from BA saying every time you spend £4 on your British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Card you will collect 1 bonus Avios until 27 December 2019. Automatically enrolled

• TGLoyalty says:

The way I read that is a transaction of £4 earns 1 and 1 of £100 earns 1 extra.

• Doctorbee says:

It is 1 Avios for every £4 you spend, not a fixed 1 Avios for spending over £4. Email says “Spending £20 on a gift? That’s 5 bonus avios”.

• Shoestring says:

Travelodge 500,000 Rooms under £29 – no codes, just check and see if the one you want is £29

• Shoestring says:

plenty in Travelodge Wadebridge if you fancy a week in Cornwall

• Anna says:

Great stuff – I need 2 nights at Feb half term in the North East, some of them are under £40 per night for free cancellation up till check in day.

• Andrew says:

Hat tip, just saved myself £100 or so on upcoming trips!

• Kunal says:

Just want to check, that this 25% bonus for HSBC world elite card can be used only once this month or multiple times?
    (Asking because I have accrued many points and when I try to transfer the points from the HSBC website, they don’t show any bonus, just the 2:1 conversion)/

Many thanks,
    Kunal

• Russ says:

OT as bits. New promotion found on my Marriott page;
    ‘Earn Double Points on Weekend Stays Earn double points on eligible paid stays that include a weekend night.’

Weekend’s are Friday and Saturday nights and valid as many times as you stay within the promotional period. Paid stays only qualify.

• eli says:

just found this at the top of the screen on the AMEX page

Spend £4 and get 1 bonus Avios until the 27th December 2019 on all your purchases. No need to do anything as you are already enrolled for this offer. Just continue to spend and get rewarded.

somewhat strange offer

• James says:

This means every £4 = 1 extra avios?

So spend £400 = 600 avios + 100 = 700 avios?

Face palm emoji

• sh83 says:

Anyone else having website issues when trying to move HSBC premier points to any airline?
    I’m getting some coded script. Tried a few browsers and no joy…

• Renaud says:

O/T: has anyone received their 25,000 Avios voucher for the Barclays Premier switch yet? I was told I’d receive it by email in December, nothing so far (yes, I know it’s only the 5th).

• AndyW says:

Nope. I have started to see the blue rewards hit for direct debits, though only at the standard non uplifted rate, so not sure what’s happening there.

• Renaud says:

Good point, just noticed the blue rewards of £7 instead of the £21 they promised for the first year.

• BJ says:

The uplift is posted at a different time of the month from the standard, you get two credits per month.

• Oli says:

I called yesterday – they told me I should get something by 20 Dec…

• TokyoFan says:

O/T My BAPP has been used fraudulently yesterday with ‘voucher express’ – I know it’s fraud since it’s been in the drawer since August having had £9,912 spent on it in my membership year.

Two things – firstly, this particular card was used during the great BA card details fiasco (but this is the first fraudulent transaction on it).

Secondly, the fraudulent transaction is going to push it over the companion voucher threshold. It’s currently only pending, but AmEx informed me that the transaction would be approved. They’ve also told me it’ll then be refunded as it’s fraudulent. Given that, will the companion voucher then be removed, if issued? Will I be able to then re-earn it (when I want to – i.e. February)? Anyone had this scenario before?

• Rhys says:

This seems like one of those super rare scenarios where you’re just better off contacting Amex directly…..

• TokyoFan says:

Yes that was my plan. Can’t do anything as yet though until the transaction goes through and presumably triggers or otherwise the voucher! Tbh it’s not the end of the world if it triggers now rather than Feb but I like to keep all my options open!

• Czechoslovakia says:

Had the same thing on my BA card in the spring. Some scumbag bought a voucher and collected it from Bluewater. They had my correct name and full address. They used a different email of course, to get the voucher confirmation. Amex sided with the retailer as they had all the correct info! Change your card NOW! And keep an eye on it – get it fully blocked. I still had a fraudulent powertoolplus order and 2 post office transactions approved after Amex had only semi blocked it. They refunded those however. Good luck.

• Lady London says:

Btw is British Airways still trying to deny their poor data security was the cause of these fraudulent transactions on people’s cards which still keep coming to light?

• TokyoFan says:

They’ve cancelled the card and sent out a replacement. They seemed pretty confident everything would be blocked. We shall see.

• AndyGWP says:

Had fraud hit my cancelled Amex Platinum (which I had rarely used beyond hitting targets) on the 3rd Dec. Just £1 with some foreign hotel I’ve never heard of.

Amex contacted me via email to tell me to update my recurring payments (etc) as they’d rejected it