Qatar Business Class

How to see England v Ireland with Marriott Bonvoy

Marriott Bonvoy is offering tickets to the England v Ireland Six Nations rugby match on 23rd February.

There are two options.  The first offers:

You and a guest can attend the at the Six Nations Championship, and watch the England vs Ireland rugby match from a private balcony at Twickenham Stadium. Your match-time beverage package includes beer, wine and soft drinks until one hour after the final whistle. Before the match starts, go to a meet and greet and have a three-course lunch with English rugby legend Chris Robshaw, and take full advantage of your match day accreditations to experience that day’s programs.

There are four packages, each with two tickets.  They have seen little interest so far, with pricing running from 50,000 points (starting bid) to 64,500 points.  Given that I value a Marriott Bonvoy point at 0.5p, this is excellent value.

You can bid here.

The second package is the same but includes a night AFTER the game in the Twickenham Marriott hotel.  There is only bid so far at 75,000 Bonvoy points, which is the minimum bid allowed.  You can bid here.

Free tickets England v Ireland

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Get yourself £150 credit for Claridges, The Berkeley or The Connaught
Who won ‘Best UK Travel Rewards Credit Card’ at the 2019 Head for Points Awards?

IHG Your Rate

Comments

1. OT – has anyone received their bonus points for transferring MR points to Marriott? It’s been 8 weeks and no sign of it.

• Haven’t received it yet and it’s very annoying as I need 1600 extra points to book The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove by Jan 6.

• I am also waiting for the bonus to land on mine and my wife’s accounts for a redemption stay at the St Regis in Rome. I’ve got until middle of Feb though so slighlty more breathing space!

• Sussex bantam says:

Nope,,,

• Pangolin says:

Still waiting.

• I thought it was up to eight weeks from the end of the promo (ie 31 December) before the bonus points will be credited, but I might be wrong!

• stevenhp1987 says:

That’s correct. 8 weeks from 31st December, so we should have them by end of February.

2. Speaking of Marriott: any advice on what to do with 850 Marriott points due to expire in March? Ta!

• They’re worth £4.50 and even then only if you redeem them ‘wisely- – I would save the time and let them go

• They’re only worth about £4 …. wouldn’t go to too much trouble!

• Sam here, I have about 1400 but so far found no way of making use of them. 🙁

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s only a few £ of points but there could be others with larger balances looking for a way.

Easiest way it to go for a drink at an exSPG hotel, hopefully you are passing one soon, and ask for the points to be added to your account, this should count to extend.

They should give you a little receipt, keep your bill too so if they don’t post you can claim.

3. The Amex offer seems to be on supplemetary cards to, so if you book a FHR rate you could have a night for £ 300 if you spend £ 600. We have a few cards between us so figure a 2 night weekend stay for a total of £ 600 isnt to bad at The Connaught, may even use a 5th card and have a £300 meal for £150! Not a cheap weekend but a good value on in other ways!

• And with Emyr’s deal, another £75 off a night, if you do two separate bookings, helps towards that pricey meal you plan!

• George K says:

pardon my ignorance, but how can you split the payment over two cards via either booking direct, or FHR?

• FHR is pay on departure so no problem. You can’t do it with a direct booking unless you book two nights in separate transactions.

4. Steve S says:

Tesco to Avios 40% bonus seems to have posted overnight for October and November conversions

• Mike Bickle says:

I have been waiting for Tesco to Avios bonus. Did I completely miss a 2 month window!!!??? 😭

• Lady London says:

Tesco seems to be deliberately winding down most of the benefits of Clubcard for some time now and no IIRC nothing decent on transfers except targeted Shell has been offered for a long while now.

Remembering that Shell closed their longstanding scheme and opened a new one that’s not worth the electrons for them to email about it. So I would bet even the Shell-out bonus had Shell pushing it not Tesco.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Tesco is our supermarket of choice but it is noticeable how Club Card has been devalued over recent years. Lower multiples, fewer partners, no offers.

We can’t spend the points we accumulate anymore. I’ve no real need for Avois (unless BA start serving MAN or at least link to LGW) so I think my exit if a item X3 from Goldsmiths to be resold.

• Shoestring says:

you could always go Virgin and take the long view – that’s what we’ve done, got a fair few in the Virgin Miles bank now and might not redeem for another 5 years (will = 25 years since I stuck 100K in there for the first time, had to put expiring MR points *somewhere* or lose them!)

yep you can laugh at me if there is a major devaluation/ Virgin goes bad along with its loyalty prog

5. OT. Loungebuddy app seems to have disappeared from the android Google play store – is this an error or has it gone for good?

• Amex bought it – not sure if it will only be part of the Amex app in future?

• Ebookers used to be partner with Loungebuddy, this seems to have changed over the past week (I requested a loungebuddy link and used it last week). They now use dragonpass. This seems to be better as it might have a wider coverage for my local airports.

• Lady London says:

Hum. Would be interesting if ebookers/loungebuddy(now owned by Amex)are both in the deal with Dragonpass. Could Amex be using Loungepass to feed business to Dragonpass, as a way of playing off Priority Pass?

Since Priority Pass holders are so consistently being turned away from lounges at major airports in the UK, and particularly since Priority Pass has been unable to secure access to the better lounge at the home terminal of the biggest UK airline at the biggest UK airport, I suppose such a move by Amex towards another lounge access firm would make sense.

• AFAIK the Loungebuddy app is iPhone only. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember (including pre–Amex acquisition).

I gather they might have had an Android app in the very early days, but if so it was dropped a long time ago.

6. OT – How well does the IHG Premium card work with Curve? Thinking of picking up the card. Does it treat cash withdrawals and purchases? And the rest…

• Works fine but, personally, I always had trouble putting substantial sums through it for HMRC purchases. Other people didn’t, to be fair, and the HMRC window is now closed anyway.

• £700 / week of ‘cash like’ transactions works, but no more, and split over three separate transactions not on consecutive days. Always posted as purchases for me.

• Any similar views with regard to Virgin reward+ card?

• No such restrictions for me – works fine. Some have recently reported Revolut top-ups being treated as cash advance, but this appears limited and isolated to a few cases.

• I’ve had no probs with Virgin.
          And untl today (!) I have put through CRV -> IHG payments for HMRC suceessfully up to my CRV or IHG limits – i.e: several £1000’s.
          But today my Creation / IHG account shows:
          Balance =£x
          Credit limit = £6000+ more than this.
          Available = zero.
          Does anyone have ay sggestions as to why ?

7. Lol, I think that device in the High Life sale is for massaging your facial muscles!
    I ordered some things to be delivered to my seat on a flight last year and it was very convenient indeed. My only gripe is that they don’t seem to stock rum, which would save me a trip to the duty free shop!

• Except they now seem to stock one brand, so thanks for nudging me to check the site again!

• TokyoFan says:

There are some very good savings actually on some fragrances etc. Especially if you get the 10% off intro deal via their website.

• I got that last time, need to sign the OH up!

• Mike Bickle says:

• Shoestring says:

you only missed the 40% bonus window if you were a Shell points customer in the last 3 years

it wasn’t a bonus opp for all & I for one was excluded

8. Shoestring says:

it’s not new though few here use it from what I can gather – I think Andrew does

since Lidl is not on the list, there’s nothing much in it for me 🙂

• Picked up 250 bonus avios for 1st instore transaction in Oliver Bonas. No minimum spend, so bought earbuds £1.99.

Still sore that caffe nero instore switched from.avios to Virgin flying club.

• It never worked for me when I registered my cards there a couple of years ago. So I removed them and registered them on the Virgin equivalent site, and it works perfectly every time. I even buy my lottery tickets at Waitrose now in order to get the extra few miles.

• I buy lunch in Waitrose every day for the free coffee. I pick up a few Virgin miles with every transaction. Keeps the account current.

9. O/T, Will be going through LHR T3 soon along with travel companions who have Dragonpass lounge access. Just got Dufry Plat, thanks Shoestring, so was going to purchase lounge pass to join them but which lounge is the better one. Believe they can use No 1 or Aspire. On our return from JNB anyone any idea of best lounge there using Dragonpass.
    TIA

• Shoestring says:

these days you nearly always need to reserve (£5 on their site) which means No1

No1 is probs the better lounge in any case

if you don’t reserve, yes you can take pot luck but I’ve been told no room at the inn enough times to now always prefer the £5 & certainty

if you were travelling at a really early or late time, you might be OK without reserving

10. O/T: Billhop – I’ve read that you can email them to negotiate lower rate for large transaction. How low do they go?

• Peter K says:

On a relatively small amount (£2500ish), they gave no discount for Amex and Visa/MC was down to 2%

11. Off topic just seen a rumour that Ba could be looking to launch some long haul routes from Manchester in the near future.
    Would be fabulous if it turned out to be true .

• Shoestring says:

anything that reduces the chance of hearing those dulcet Manc tones when I use LHR must be a good thing 🙂

• I concur I also wouldn’t have to put up with anymore of that southern fairy lingo again😜

• OMG OMG OMG (in a Mancunian accent, obviously) 🤞🤞🤞

Source of rumours, please?

• GSTPs twitter account

• Found the article now – come on Rob!

• The article reasoning does sort of make sense.

I’m sure Ba would want to stop Virgin becoming dominant in the North and its much easier to act early when your oppenant is weak rather than late in the art of war.

• Has BA just woken up now

• Shoestring says:

BA has just been focused on a strategic approach – forget talk of hub & spoke, it was just ‘Heathrow first & foremost means we can be most efficient’ – so other airports & their opportunities were ignored, which is understandable when you don’t have enough planes & crews for Heathrow anyway

BA’s financial results bear out this strategic approach

maybe now they are anticipating more capacity (in terms of planes & crews) – so might expand a bit at the next best UK opportunity/ airport

• But what happens when the spoiler works? How are Oakland, Fort Lauderdale and I’ve forgotten doing now.

• Closed.

BA has no spare aircraft, which is the fault in this story. It would need to stop retiring 747s and the oldest 777s.

It also benefits BA if VS uses its fleet in MAN instead of adding capacity in London – which is the only Plan B if MAN routes close.

• There were quite a few Thomas Cook planes parked at MAN when I was there last month…

• Lady London says: