BA news: Cruise118 Avios winner, half-term British Airways family treats, a great BA deal to ….. Shanghai!

We have a winner of our Cruise118 competition!

Thank you to everyone who entered our recent Cruise118 competition.

Congratulations to Ruth H, who was the lucky winner of 100,000 Avios!

If you or a family member are thinking about a cruise, remember that you can earn 3 Avios for every £1 spent with Cruise118.

There are some great February offers available at the moment when you book with Cruise118 including:

• Up to $700 onboard spending included with Celebrity Cruises (that’s a hell of a lot of cocktails…)
  • Kids sail from just £99pp with Royal Caribbean
  • Save 10% with Silversea
  • All-inclusive drinks with MSC Cruises

Cruise118 also has a price-match promise – if you find a cheaper price elsewhere, they’ll match it, which means you can always maximise your Avios earning potential when booking a cruise. Use this link to the Cruise118 website to see how many Avios you’ll earn with any itinerary.

Ruth has been contacted so if there are any other Ruth H’s out there reading, I’m afraid it wasn’t you this time!  Thanks again for taking part and make sure you check out our new Qatar Airways competition to win two Business Class flights.

Earn Avios with Cruise118

British Airways running a new family promotion for half term

If you travelling through Heathrow (from 14th to 17th February) or Gatwick (from 14th to 21st February) with children, you may be able to take part in a new ‘I love to travel’ feature.

The check-in desks will be handing out blank cards headlined ‘I love to travel because …..’.  Your children will be encouraged to fill them in and hand them to the cabin crew upon boarding.

Assuming that flight conditions allow, the Captain or First Officer will read out as many of the cards as possible over the PA system during the flight.  Children who have their cards read out will, if possible, be invited to the flight deck on landing for a photo opportunity with the pilots.

Here’s one which I saw on Twitter yesterday although I have some doubts about its authenticity:

British Airways launches a great deal to ….. Shanghai!

Who wouldn’t want to travel to Shanghai at the moment?!

British Airways is keen to send you, albeit it doesn’t actually have any flights operating.  Don’t let that put you off though.

You can currently book British Airways flights from Madrid or Barcelona to Shanghai for just £1,100.  This is a great deal, especially as you will pick up (amongst other things you might pick up) 360 Executive Club tier points for the trip.

This fare is available virtually every day from 1st April which is when flights are due to resume.  Here is a typical fare at €1,270 (£1,094):

British Airways Shanghai deal

You can book on ba.com here.

Avios-earning at Travelex is now back after the cyber attack
Virgin news: the new A350 Upper Class tray table, 50% bonus buying Flying Club miles, Government to take equity in Flybe?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. O/T do you need a visa to travel to Israel if you have a UK passport? I have a 2-4-1 Avios redemption in First to Tel Aviv for July 2020.

2. O/T does anybody find their Hilton Gold status seems to hang around despite doing nowhere near enough to maintain it?

I got it in 2016 in the days of the free Platinum bump ups from Gold (RIP). Since then I have done 3 stays and every time I look my Gold membership is set to run out the following January. But every February, I find I still have it…

I’m not complaining, just wondering if this is a mistake or not.

• My OH has maybe three or four lifetime stays on her HH account, and she’s been Gold for years, it just keeps renewing!

• Have you got the HH visa? This keeps me at Gold even though I don’t stay nearly enough nights!

• Hilton’s year actually runs until March, so if you are to be downgraded it will only happen in April.
      But I’ve had the same experience as yourself: I’ve had Gold via multiple credits cards in the US and in the UK, and have never been downgraded, even when I spent some years without any credit cards (right now I’m supposed to be Gold until 2021 as I had the Amex Platinum last year).

• I know why this happens. Hilton probably does too but it seems they have never done anything about it. Not saying in the event they don’t and somebody sees this. I just suggest readers fully engage with the hobby and follow the main recommendations on HFP and there is a good chance it’ll happen. Obviously the less that people highlight it here the better.

3. @Shoestring
    Do you know if you can use the Morrison Gift card to buy a gift voucher for say Amazon like you could with the paper vouchers?

Thanks

4. “Up to $700 onboard spending included with Celebrity Cruises (that’s a hell of a lot of cocktails…)”

Not at their prices with a 18% service charge on top

5. Very OT, apologies
    Any readers with U.S. Amexes? Can you add your U.S. card to the same app as your UK cards?

• Youllnever says:

I tried to do that with my HK amex and it didn’t work – required me to open a separate online account + app. I have a feeling that applies to US ones as well.

• Unfortunately, nope. You need the “US” version of the app which is only available from the US App Store / Play Store so you’ll need to create a US Apple ID or Google Play account to access it. I personally have cards with Amex in the UK, US, and Canada and it’s definitely annoying how I need separate App Store logins to download each app.

6. OT – I saw the article a couple of days back about picking up 8x Flying Club miles with registering card details with Shops Away for Morrison’s purchases instore.

I registered card details and made a purchase the following day. Do miles post directly into your Flying Club account or do they show on purchase history within Shops Away?

Does anyone know the approximate processing time for these transactions also?

• Usually show within 48 hours, but allow up to 5 days for them to show in your transaction history on the Shops Away site. They usualy send an email “Pending Purchase” once they’ve recorded the transaction, then another “Points Approved” when it completes and credits your account.

Don’t be in a hurry to spend them, 4 – 6 weeks is normal.

• I saw somewhere on here that points posted to shopaway account within 48hours. However i made a purchase on Sunday and nothing showing as yet.

• Will only tract if you make the purchase 24 hours after registering your card

• I must have used a bad phrase…

You’ll get an email within about 48 hours. Then a further email once they’ve settled. Don’t expect it to be speedy, they have to allow time for returned items. Matalan is usually about 90 days.

• It takes a day or so for an email about pending points, then a few weeks for points to post (based on daily Waitrose purchases via card registered with Shops Away).

7. Secret Squirrel says:

Just read that BA are flying NQY -LHR this summer.

8. OT – hopefully Lady London will see this!
    I am in dispute with Farfetch who sent me the wrong handbag and will only offer a refund, not a replacement. I don’t want a refund as this would invalidate the 5000 bonus avios offer on my BAPP. Farfetch are now saying they only act as a intermediary between customers and sellers and therefore they have no obligations to me under consumer law – is this correct? They process all payments and refunds so I find it hard to believe they have no liability whatsoever in this.
    Thanks in advance!

• Even worse, the Citizen’s Advice website suggests that S 75 doesn’t apply to third party sellers 🤦‍♀️

• Shoestring says:

I guess you saw the T&Cs [We provide the Services to you through the Website. Further details of the Services we provide are set out in section 3 below. When you purchase products using the Website, you are purchasing them from the third party retailers (“Partner(s)”) named on the Website. It is important that you understand that the contract for the purchase of the products is between you and the relevant Partner. We are acting as agent on behalf of the Partners, which are the principals. You are not purchasing the products from us. We are authorised by the relevant Partners to conclude the contract on their behalf but we are not a party to that contract and you are not purchasing the products from us. Further details about the products, the Partners and the contract between you and the Partners in relation to your purchase of the products are set out in sections 5, 6 and 7 below.]

nice way to swerve S75!

• Lady London says:

nasty, nasty. Almost as though Farfetch was deliberately set up in a way to defraud people.

I think I’d review their ts and c’s to see if what they now say about being only intermediary/third party/agency is true. Even if it now looks that way on closer examination then those ts and cs are only valid if provided before, or when, you purchased. Otherwise you are entitled to assume your counterparty is Farfetch.

You could query with Trading Standards (I think they have been renamed) CAB, or even check/contact MSE! Do you have legal advice service included on your motor or household insurance policy?

Assuming this is not worth doing more than the above. I would now want to get away from Farfetch and retrieve my money before they go bust which is what I had my gut feeling about.

-> if you paid on charge card then get a chargeback. Sounds like you would have no problem. You might have to get the whole transaction charged back under their rules though.
      -> if you paid on credit card invoke s.75 and either get the whole lot refunded or find an identical replacement for the incorrect bag or agree a suitable replacement and it’s value with the credit card co (in which case you might be able to work in some recovery of the value of the 5000 ltd eat. £50.

I suppose you could also find out who is Farfetch now saying is your counterparty then do a moneyclaim online suing both Farfetch and the named counterparty and let the court sort it out. Personally life’s too short and I would be wanting to recover my money before either Farfetch and/ or the party they claim is your counterparty goes bust.

If I have time today I will take a look at Farfetch’s website to see how well they appear to be set up to deny responsibility but my gut feeling is if this is the way they’re doing business I’d get my money out quick before they fold.

• Lady London says:

Ta Shoestring that will save me looking.

The question now is were those terms made clear before or during your purchase process. If not then you are entitled to consider Farfetch as the responsible seller.

I think I’d still proceed as above – unless you do have access to a lawyer who can offer something helpful – perhaps via one of your insurance policies.

• Farfetch is a $4bn company listed on the NYSE. It enables small boutiques to sell goods throughout the world. It’s a cracking company, with $1bn revenues. Why anyone would consider getting legal representation because they have offered a full refund on a good that is now out of stock is beyond me. All for 5,000 Avios. Buy something else, trigger the deal. End.

• Will Trading Standards really be interested in:-

“Woman who was sent wrong handbag is upset she’s getting her money back in full”?

• Lady London says:

Good point. The thing is (1) they know the law inside out and can advise and (2) even if they might not say so there’s a good chance they might have had other complaints about Farfetch so would steer @Anna in the right direction of what’s feasible.

FWIW this same agency/intermediary situation applies with eBay, PayPal and Amazon merchant’s. But all of those have some fairly robust rectification/compensation procedures in place.

• Shoestring says:

doubt it, unfortunately for Anna

and she never actually formed a contract to buy the item at a certain price – that contract is formed when 1) they take your money *AND* 2) you receive the goods

eg you can buy something (& pay), but if the company realises error price, they can countermand the courier instruction and get their parcel back (and refund you) – all perfectly legal

in Anna’s case (wrong item received), all she is legally entitled to is a refund – most nicer retailers would probably make good by sending you the correct item instead – but there’s no legal entitlement to this and sometimes it would be impossible (item out of stock)

• Thanks for the constructive responses. To the others, that’s not really the point. They not only sent the wrong bag, they sent one which has quite obviously been used and returned by someone else (it helps to be in possession of the full facts). I don’t trust them enough to buy anything else from them now (especially after reading some of the reviews on Trust Pilot about people not receiving goods and still waiting for refunds months down the line). So I’d lose the BAPP offer and suffered the inconvenience due to what has been a really shoddy service.

• If you chose something from a different boutique it is a totally different transaction though. I’ve used Farfetch several times, from boutiques in Hong Kong, Italy and Spain and Germany and havent had any problems. Don’t write them off because one shop assistant thousands of miles away tried to pull a fast one.

• This is also from their T’s and C’s –

“Once the item is received by the relevant Partner, you will receive a full refund of the defective product, or alternatively a discount, replacement or repair for the item where possible, agreed on a case by case basis by us.”

Yet they told me they do not send replacement items under any circumstances and only offer refunds!

• Lady London says:

Walk away and get your money back as fast as you can. s.75 if you can make it stick otherwise chargeback. Notify Farfetch and whoever to come collect their stuff by a deadline (there’s a sample letter on MSE or might be on Resolver) and in parallel BN or before, contact card co for a chargeback. I wouldn’t keep either of the handbags. Life’s too short. Certainly I would avoid dealing with Farfetch again based on the feedback you’ve seen which is why card company is best approach.

• Lady London says:

The other reason to take the refund from the card company and walk away now rather than engaging further on this with Farfetch (who have setup to avoid responsibility) and/or their seller (who sounds sleazy already) is that apart from people still waiting for refunds months later from Farfetch, there’s a good chance that Farfetch’s seller will blame you for the item being used.

It’s the wrong item so won’t hold up but dealing with it will add stress and delay. So get a chargeback if you can’t get s75 and walk away. Chargebacks are a black mark for merchants relationship (and who knows, maybe costs the merchant?) and you get it done and walk away instead of waiting months.

Do you seriously think with those t’s and c’s, Farfetch is going to refund you if their merchant goes bust, stops dealing with them, tells lies about the condition of what they sent or owes other money to Farfetch?

• Lady London says:

@Shoestring I believe contract is *formed* when buyer agrees to buy the item and seller agrees to sell it and there is compensation involved which in this case is money.

Contract is *fulfilled* when buyer receives the item as well as the money having been paid.

In this case contract has not been fulfilled as @Anna has not received the item ordered. But the contract was made as there was an agreement with offer, acceptance, and compensation. It’s possible Farfetch has some weasel words on their site that cloud this or try to state a contract was not made or not by Farfetch but factually we do not have a fulfilled contract here.

This stuff is pretty much the only part of my CPE course that I recall being awake for. Perhaps it has changed since then but either way securing the prompt return of my money from this rubbish platform / sleazy seller without waiting uncertainly for months would be my practical aim now.

• Shoestring says:

yep you’re probably correct on this point, eg substantiated by a very good post here https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/after-payment-at-checkout-your-order-is-cancelled-by-the-seller-105657

they make the point that most retailers add in commercial terms in their favour – Farfetch haven’t given themselves much extra wiggle room (just clauses about price & availability needing to be confirmed) – they state: [By completing the check-out process and placing an order by clicking the “Place Order” button on the checkout page, you are offering to purchase the products from the relevant Partner (and not directly from us). Your order for the products is subject to these Terms and Conditions which are incorporated into the contract between you and the relevant Partner. All orders are subject to availability and confirmation of the order price, which is determined by the relevant Partner. After entering into the contract for the products with the Partner, the Partner will be under a legal duty to supply you with goods that are in conformity with the contract. Legal title to the product purchased will pass to you upon your payment being accepted. Risk in the product will remain with the Partner and/or Farfetch (as applicable) until it is delivered to you at the address specified when you placed your order.]

if you think about it, price and availability clauses mean yes there might be a contract in place but Farfetch (partners) don’t have to fulfil the contract simply by saying the price was wrong or there was no stock available

• I think it’s ‘consideration’, rather than ‘compensation’?

• Lady London says:

@Shoestring it’s clear Farfetch’s lawyer had instructions to keep liability away from Farfetch and did an OK job. As regards the seller and the contract there’s lots to argue over in this wording. But the one thing that is sure is there is no fulfilled contract here however payment has been taken. Justifying a chargeback.

If @Anna sued it’s a 3 way contract so sue Farfetch and the vendor. Let the court sort out who is liable. No one is going to spend time on this – do a chargeback, get the money back and walk away. Oh, and tell everyone.

• Lady London says:

PS @Sayling of course you’re right. I fumbled for the lawyer word for money and fell on that Americanism ‘compensation’ instead of the term ‘consideration’

• This seems obvious, so apologies, but for the avoidance of doubt, presumably you cannot buy the handbag you want as a new order (and send back the used incorrect bag for a refund) because a) it’s no longer available and / or b) the terms of the BAPP offer don’t cover cumulative spend?

• Voice of experience says:

High chance the Avios will stick even with the refund in my opinion.

• TGLoyalty says:

Not in my experience of Amex offers. Extremely high chance they will be clawed back.

• Lady London says:

I suppose in the circumstances, if type of card was not a credit card and so requesting a chargeback was the only option, whilst requesting the chargeback one could ask, as it wasn’t one’s fault, whether the 5000 credit could remain? Unlikely though.

9. OT:

Am I doing something wrong? I used the BA App to check reward availability to Mumbai. It tell’s me that First is available 4th – 18th September. But when I go to book it tells me there is nothing available in First.

Is the search function normally unreliable?

• Never used the app, but you’re better off using rewardflightfinder.com anyway!

• Thanks, but unfortunately Reward Flight Finder shows 4th – 18th as available too. Yet can’t be booked it seems as BA do not show is as available.

• TGLoyalty says:

The sites been feed / picking up dodgy First data for a couple months now.

• Perhaps ring BA?

• Both Reward Flight Finder and Seat Spy are showing lots of First availability to New Delhi in September and October, none of which exists. No idea what’s up.

10. Shoestring says:

Just checking Avios availability for tomorrow (out), Sunday (return) for my wife – her mum’s seriously ill in hospital

and noticed BA has made 14th-17th February peak! might as well exploit the romantic break people, I guess was their thinking

• First weekend of half term…

• Lady London says:

Is it an easyJet route? I am holding flights Friday and Sunday which I was going to cancel, that could be reused for fare difference only, ok for Rob to share my email if Shoestring is interested

• Shoestring says:

thanks but already booked a flight out on points

looks like I’ll have to stump up for Business on the way back, no need to buy it just yet

the good news is her mum luckily collapsed in a chemist’s (as opposed to in her home) – a stroke – and they were very quick to get her to hospital and put a stent in, so she’s feeling a lot better than it looked just a few hours ago

• Lady London says:

Lucky Mum-in-Law. Good location if that had to happen.

You can always choose whichever way to bring her back when she’s ready/nearer the time. I hope MIL recovers well and at least she will be comforted by the support of family.

11. Shoestring says:

as regards the mockery of Dr Shoestring, all I can do is point out the latest stats – people seem to be looking at the same numbers and drawing exactly the opposite conclusions to myself

43103 cases, 1018 deaths
    chance of getting Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) – 43103/ 8.5 billion = 0.000506%
    chance of dying if you catch it – 1018/ 43103 = 2.36%

we can probably go further and say the number of cases is feasibly twice as high, because the viral infection can be mild and unreported – so your chances of getting it could be twice as high as the % above

otoh, this would mean that your chances of dying if you catch it are 1% or so

• Yet another ignorant use of statistics.

1. That is NOT the odds of catching the virus, that is the chance you’ve already caught the virus. Cases are still rising (and if everyone took your absurd cavalier attitude they would currently be skyrocketing).

2. A 3% death rate certainly is concerning – I wouldn’t do ANYTHING that had a 3% chance of killing me…

3. Averaging the odds across the entire globe is ridiculously misleading and pointless. The odds of catching the virus in China are infinitely higher than catching it in Greenland.

I’m not mocking you – I’m simply pointing out you have no idea what you’re talking about. If you were replying to scaremongers I’d completely get it – but you’re not. The general advice from responsible media, health authorities and the WHO is correct and proportional. By all means tell people walking around London with pointless face masks that they’re fools, but stop with the “pussycat virus” nonsense.

• The chance of catching the virus is virtually zero when you consider all the potential planets out there!

But, let’s say the death rate was 1%, would you get on a 747 if they said 4 people would die every flight. Or a A320 if 2 people would die every flight?

• Shoestring says:

but you missed the first bit – using your plane analogy…

1. there’s a 0.000506% chance that when you get on a plane, 1% of the people on that plane will die

2. which means there’s a 0.00000506% that by flying you will die

• Shoestring says:

not really, because you’re forgetting there’s (1) an effective containment strategy in place and (2) warm weather fast approaching in the northern hemisphere, which will stop pussycat virus in its tracks – and (3) the likelihood of an effective vaccine in place within 9 months

so (maybe) total deaths rises to 2000-5000 by the time it all plays out – but virtually all of them will be in China or people who have connected with China

making the risk of dying from pussycat virus incredibly small, something like 0.000005%

• Shoestring says:

and the risk of dying from it in non-China as close to zero as you can get

• Very well. If this is all just a big wind up because he gets kicks out of tricking people into a false sense of security, I guess I’ll just leave him to it. Hopefully people don’t fall for it (like I did!) but I guess that’s natural selection if those people act on it!

Ta Shoestring.

• I give up, you cant argue with stupid.

It’s a shame because you’re generally very useful/knowledgeable on here. Perhaps stick with what you know instead of pretending you’re remotely competent in science or statistics…

• Linda Dufresne says:

So how will we know who’s right on this, and when?

• Spurs Debs says:

I’m gutted just had email my cruise around Japan for 21/4 has been cancelled due to the virus. Celebrity cruises have pulled their Asia cruises for foreseeable future.

I think there’s a lot we aren’t being told!
            Now Got to decide wether to cancel my flights to Tokyo and go somewhere else.

• Who’s right about what? Whether this is a “pussycat virus” or not?

If you don’t know that my position – that it isn’t – is correct by now then I don’t see how you ever will. Over 1000 dead – case closed.

It’s important to note that I haven’t once argued that this is a major global pandemic etc. My sole position has been that it isn’t trivial like Harry is unhealthily obsessed with claiming with his gross misuse of irrelevant statistics (though I’m glad he’s seemingly stopped comparing it to pneumonia now – perhaps he actually looked up what pneumonia is!).

• TGLoyalty says:

Pneumonia is exactly what the virus can cause … perhaps not Harry that needs to look up what it is.

2% chance of dying after contracting it is based off official no of deaths and those infected. Highly likely many more were infected in December before it was known what it was and just shrugged off as a cold.

But you’re probably right on the stats because if you were to consider the deaths as a percentage of those with underlying conditions it’s going to be far higher chance than 2% and if you’re are perfectly heathy it’s far lower.

I think what Harry is quite rightly saying is your chance of coming in contact with someone with it are remote and if you are otherwise perfectly heathy then you’re highly unlikely to come to any long term harm.

I’m sure theres nothing we aren’t being told but rather cruises are being cancelled because it’s a confined space and there are many people cancelling their reservations making it both economically and medically a bad idea.

• Lady London says:

@Callum I think you and Harry are actually saying the same thing. Don’t let the British habit of making light of something serious fool you. “Pussycat virus” is a term that’s been repeated – and repeated – within that “making light even though we all know it’s serious” British thing.

So there’s more layers here. Reacting to the first layer is being suckered a bit. Too too easy because it’s fun to repeat the term “pussycat virus” when it has such a great wind-up effect.
            Harry knows the virus is serious, but not widespread, which is exactly what you’re saying.
            He understands why his wife doesn’t want to go anywhere near any possibility of a virus even infiniteismally small and nowhere near.

How do I know this? Because we all know Harry was almost killed by freak complications of falling over a cat something like 2 years ago. This is still haunting him – prompting things like his recent arranging of his financial affairs so his wife and kids are will be ok if another ‘cat’ gets him.

Every time he says ‘pussycat virus’ he’s standing up to the devil. Yes it winds you and a few others up too, but that’s another layer. It’s quite easy to wind people up who tend to take things literally for whatever reason. But Harry’s no fool and his neutral evaluation is probably not as far from yours as you think.

• I’m well aware what pneumonia is. Harry frequently compared the number of coronavirus cases to the number of pneumonia cases to make it seem small. A nonsensical comparison.

What you think he means and what he’s actually writing are two different things… I completely agree with you – in the UK, it’s incredibly unlikely to come into contact with the virus. So unlikely I wouldn’t even think about it. That is COMPLETELY different to incessantly going on about how it’s a “pussycat virus”.

incessantly=the wind-up

• Shoestring says:

@LL – I can now definitely recommend Tideway Pension Advisory Services https://www.finalsalarytransfer.com/s/28/why-choose-tideway

It was a straight 1% fee with good service. As you mentioned, everything is now inheritable.

Ta again Shoestring.

Is that 1% every year after transfer as well? IIRC remember seeing somewhere Fidelity would be the same as well.

Isn’t Tideway also the name of that massive project that is now underway to create a massive sewer pipe underneath the Thames 🙂 ??!

• Shoestring says:

1% is one-off fee, I think that’s fair enough given the risk of them getting sued – I checked around a lot first to see if anybody reputable would do it more cheaply, the answer was a big no – you can get the transfer out service more cheaply but you won’t know much about the IFA and stand to lose a lot if you end up getting ripped off

however Tideway initially expect you to stay with them (ie using them for wealth mgt) – they would not agree to act as your IFA to transfer out pension unless you agreed to this – and there will be fees for this as well in line with market rates, depends on what you agree to invest in but all-in fees including platform cost, fund cost, wealth mgt cost would typically be about 1.6% pa

the get out is that there is no obligation to stay with them, I have a gentleman’s agreement to try them for 6 months and will assess after that time

• Lady London says:

Ta Shoestring. Had a good look at them and they do look ok. Wealth mgmt address looks like a Prospect Business Centre. I think they’re a very good set of people to work with – time will tell if standards/pricing can be maintained.

Apparently P.I. policies are now only covering IFA’s in this area only up to £500k (apparently £1.6m would have been more normal previously) which is b***** all. Lots of little IFA’s gone out of business because of it. Looks like Tideway’s average fund taken in is more than that. Tx again they look decent I will call them next week.

• Shoestring says:

once transferred, cash in SIPP is fee free (no interest either)

you can drip feed money into investment @5%/ month, so if effective annual costs are 1.6% pa, after 6 months you’ll have invested 6x 5% = 30%
            fees: first 5%, 1 x 0.8%, second 5% 1x 0.67% etc

so even if you don’t like the 1.6% pa for active wealth mgt, after 6 months it’s nothing like this, 70% of your pension transfer is is sitting there doing nothing but also fee-free – and the aggregate on the other 30% must be something like under 0.4%

• Lady London says:

@Shoestring Ta, losing me a bit on the numbers there but basically it looks like 1% plus current interest rates which is probably minimum market sustainable.

Presumably you are staying liquid to take advantage of opportunities (otherwise even minimal inflation will erode) and at least unlike DB your fund is now inheritable so all good. Just watch out your fund manager doesn’t start tracking you with other people’s funds once he works out how good you are (like the rest of us here :-))

• Shoestring says:

go to https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/bond/tmbmkgb-15y?countrycode=bx
            put in ‘All’ for the chart
            now is a good time as pension transfers are priced via 15 year Gilts
            mine got priced at nearly 50x – which as I don’t plan on being around in 2070 seemed fair enough

• Lady London says:

Ta, I think I might have just got into the 31jan-3feb slot with my request. Depends if they have the liberty to give a worse value by selecting a later date. Clearly end of October was the time to ask though! Looked at the macro values – interesting France yield is so low and Oz so high – felt sorry for all the lovely easyJet call centre staff whose economy must really be struggling, with that yield. I will have the courage to open the proposal soon. Then will see what Tideway think. Ta Harry.