The Holiday Inn London Mayfair hotel has permanently closed

You certainly can’t file this one under hot news, because it took place immediately after New Year.  It happened totally under my radar, which is additionally embarrassing because I walk down Piccadilly on a regular basis and we often have HFP client meetings on Dover Street which backs on to the hotel.

It appears that the Holiday Inn London Mayfair closed on 2nd January.

This isn’t totally surprising.  The hotel was not in great shape internally and it isn’t a hugely attractive building either, although I think the shell may be staying.

Holiday Inn Mayfair closed

It was because the hotel was such an anachronism that I recommended it.  I always included it on my list of ‘best IHG Rewards Club redemptions in London‘.  You could stay in the heart of Mayfair, virtually opposite the Ritz, for peanuts, relatively speaking.  A few seconds away in the other direction was The May Fair hotel, run by Radisson, which is also very high end.

(If you look at the photograph of the hotel above, you see a small part of the Ritz on the right.)

The Holiday Inn Mayfair had big rooms – probably bigger than standard rooms at the Ritz! – and a family could often pick up a room with two double beds for a standard reward redemption.  In 2017 I booked a couple of nights during a promotion when it was £35 per night and used it for hot desking space, just for the novelty value.

Who won our Qatar Airways business class flights competition?
The new HFP chat thread - Saturday 28th March

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. mark peterborough says:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair a couple of years ago with my family when we visited Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park . I took our Monopoly set to do the “Hotel on Mayfair” joke photos and was pleasantly surprised to see that the hotel had used the imagery from the game’s title deed card in the room, ( it was a menu or local directory)

2. Marco Polo says:

I stayed there over many years, probably the best located hotel in London,
    A few minutes from everywhere.
    We will definitely miss it

3. This is going to become 1 Hotel Mayfair so definitely no chance of £35 per night rooms ever again…😁

• TGLoyalty says:

Was thinking I recall something about this being changed to an upmarket “eco” hotel by Starwood capital.

4. “… especially outside Europe where it is better value for money…”
    I priced Blacklane in Kuala Lumpur and their quote was laughably high. Although it was by far the most excessive pricing, my experience with Blacklane has been that the only times that I find their prices even vaguely acceptable are when they offer discounts.

5. Novice says:

I can see Qatar as the airline coming out of this with its good reputation intact.

But then again they have always been great.

6. illuminatus says:

Blacklane are ridiculously expensive, not sure why anyone would choose them over Wheely

7. Rob – A suggestion…any chance you can get an actual picture of a Qatar plane rather than using a flight sim computer image?

8. The Streets says:

OT I notice the 15 nights have posted from my AMEX Bonvoy Card

9. Sorry to hear about the HI Mayfair. The staff were lovely. And the location was useful for bus routes and the tube from Heathrow (with a lift for suitcases), not to mention Hatchards nearby.

• Lady London says:

Yes…Hatchards and Fortnum’s. Miss them both! However I am sure there will be an offer or two in Mayfair or the West End at least, whenever come through current events. Stay safe everyone!

10. Aeneas says:

The location was fantastic. I stayed there many times.