News: Get American Express cashback at Selfridges, no more Virgin Flying Club miles from international money transfers

News in brief:

American Express launches Selfridges discounts

Two Selfridges cashback deals have launched across American Express cards.

These codes are marked as online only, so they are unlikely to work instore when it reopens.  You also cannot order a gift card online because, I believe, these are processed by a third party.

There appears to be two versions, both of which we have across our household:

Spend £100, get £30 back

Spend £250, get £50 back

The offers are valid for online purchases made by 5th July.

Virgin Atlantic drops its International Money Transfer offer

For the last few years, an interesting route to pick up a large chunk of Virgin Flying Club miles was via the Virgin Money International Money Transfer service.

It was a generous deal  The amount of Virgin Flying Club miles you could earn depended on the size of your transfer:

£5,000 – £9,999 – earn 2,500 miles

£10,000 – £19,999 – earn 5,000 miles

£20,000 – £49,999 – earn 10,000 miles

£50,000 – £99,999 – earn 25,000 miles

£100,000+ – earn 50,000 miles

Unfortunately, this deal is now over.  As you can see here, Virgin Money is getting out of this sector on 24th June.  The service was run as a joint venture with WorldFirst, which is taking over the customer database.  The Flying Club offer was meant to run until August 2020 so the contract is clearly ending earlier than Virgin Money anticipated.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Heathrow Rewards points transfers to Avios crediting with a 100% bonus .....
REVIEW: Is BA Accelerating Business Amex or Capital On Tap Business Rewards the best Avios credit card?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Cheshire Pete says:

There’s another variant on the transfer bonus, which is they post at 0%. This was done on the day it launched. CS said they would adjust it, but it’s initially hit the account with 0 bonus. It was also a Premium account, not sure if this is part of the bug or not.

2. mradey says:

Free delivery mainland UK at the moment too (Selfridges). Couple that with the Amex off and the 10% off six bottles……

• Andrew says:

12 avios per pound too

• Andrew says:

Or, if your employer has an arrangement, with one of the many Corporate Perks providers, it’s possible you have a 10% funds return offer at Selfridges (I do for the next 2 days).

(Different Andrew)

• MattB says:

Looking at prices Selfridge’s are way overpriced compared to other online booze sellers – even with the 10% for 6, plus amex plus 12 avios per £ they are still more expensive than supermarkets/Amazon etc. Obviously they have more high end stuff but that is still cheaper at specialist online places.

• The offer looks good but the £30 off is better than the other… 30% off rather than 20% in the other case… and I have the latter of course!

• Indeed.

Selfridges roughly 30% (and sometimes as much as 50%) more expensive than other outlets for exactly the same wine or Champagne.

• Is that true across the board (not just drinks)? I’m struggling to find anything that’s good value.

• I ordered £250 of sale and other bits and pieces yesterday – after checking prices with other retailers of course! Jo Malone never discounts IME so this was a genuine chance to get 20% off. I want to hit a 2 4 1 target quickly for next summer and I’ve earned 2300 Avios through the e. Store so quite happy with the offer.

• Sandgrounder says:

Electronics are often competitive, I have a Samsung tablet on the way.

• Dezbez says:

Perfumes and clothing seem to follow ‘standard’ pricing, so there shouldn’t be any Selfridges mark-up on these items. There is 30% off many clothing brands too, so it could be a triple hit if played right.
          If though, like me, you end up buying stuff just for the sake of making the most of the offers (ie you weren’t planning on making the purchase in the first place) then probably not such a good deal….

• I’d say only things where the brand is well known and they have very strong control of the distribution.

For example Sonos speakers don’t normally have much of a discount unless that model is about to be replaced. Major brand perfumes (Guerlain say)rarely discount by more than 10%

3. Aliks says:

I have 779 points currently, but only 250 are transferable. There is no indication on the dashboard about why the remaining points cant transfer.

I vaguely remember that there are restrictions on transferring points to BA, depending on how you earned the points. Anyone have any clues how to find out what is allowed?

• L Allen says:

If you transferred points in then you can’t transfer them out again. I have loads from Emirates that are in this state but don’t know how many.

• The only points you can’t transfer are those from Emirates or Lufthansa. Everything else should be OK.

4. L Allen says:

I couldn’t make any transfer of Heathrow Rewards because the newly site doesn’t tell you how many of the points you have are eligible for transfer. It just gives me an unhelpful “an error has occurred” response. There is nowhere in the new site that gives this breakdown anymore.

5. I converted 3,500 Heathrow Rewards on 16th May and haven’t received any bonus!

• Are you sure? I thought the same because the two 3,500 transactions were next to each other and the bonus was just blank with no description

• Agree, it’s a very confusing layout. For flights these additional lines show the breakdown of Avios (cabin bonus etc) but for this they seem additive. The summary at the bottom of the account page on BAEC desktop website shows the total.

6. Platinum amex credit card and charge card both not showing Selfridges offer

7. M Baldrick says:

I transferred 7000 Heathrow Rewards and the calculator gave me 50% so 10,500 but nothing has been put onto my BA Executive Club account. So at present i have had a 0% transfer 🙁

8. I transferred my HR points and got 100% bonus later separately, I can’t find the source now, but I do remember seeing the bonus is 100% when I made the transfer

9. Essjay says:

Another data point, my small amount of Heathrow Rewards points (1,750) posted as 3,500 Avios this morning. So 100% bonus.

10. Andrew says:

I’ve also received my HR transfer with zero bonus. ☹️ Are people getting any traction from HR customer services??

11. Michael says:

Re Amex offers: Do you also get these on the business cards and if so are they similar.
    Also, are there referral bonuses available on the business cards, if so can you refer for non business cards too?