British Airways delays launch of flights to Newquay

Perhaps not surprisingly, British Airways has postponed the launch of its Heathrow to Newquay service.

The first flight was due to take place on 2nd July.

The delay is only a short one, however.  The first flight is now scheduled for Saturday 18th July although there are now only three flights per week initially.

I am booked on this for the August Bank Holiday weekend so hopefully it does go as planned.

As far as I know, there is still no word on who is picking up the contract to run subsidised flights between Newquay and London.  Until it collapsed, Flybe was paid £850,000 per year by the Government to underwrite the cost of operating year-round flights between Newquay and London.  The service had been running into Heathrow but Flybe had negotiated a deal to move flights to Gatwick in return for launching additional routes out of Newquay.

Newquay Airport was hit particularly hard by the collapse of Flybe, which accounted for 66% of its passenger traffic.  Given the current economic circumstances, it is possible that British Airways shows more of an interest in picking up the Government subsidy and operating the route year-round.

Our last review of the Executive Lounge at Newquay Airport is here.

Save 15% on Gett taxi app rides with American Express cashback
'My Favourite Hotel' review - Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Also NQY bound Aug BH weekend
    Guessing I can kiss goodbye to row 1 then 😆

• I’ve actually been contemplating GWR as a serious alternative. I’m finding car hire a nightmare at NQY (their opening times don’t fit well to the BA schedule plus they’re all extremely expensive). I can also get to within 10mins of where I’m staying by train and advance First fares are pretty reasonable at the moment.

• Michael C says:

You could always get off at Par or an even earlier stop, and rent there.

Having said that, the trip down is so lovely, we drive & stop off. Maybe
        Stonehenge this timeas our little one has never been, and it’s slated to re-open
        4 July, with timed slots (same goes for Tintagel Castle if anyone’s interested,
        as sure slots will disappear in minutes).

• It’s not on-airport, but there’s an Enterprise base in Bodmin (bus from Newquay) which often has reasonable car hire deals.

• That’s where I’m looking to get off (for Fowey).
          Didn’t realise there was a car rental location there.
          I’m not really up for the drive all the way from Surrey on a short BH weekend. If we were going for longer I might be up for it but as it is, it’s too short a duration for a 4+HR journey each way and all the additional BH traffic

• I think we only have Row 1 one way. Need to check!

2. Nick G says:

The flight times to NQY suck as do the outrageous prices for such a short journey plus as others have said hire car isn’t cheap there. Think I’ll drive my own car

3. Cuchlainn says:

Hilton queries please :
    Having HH Gold status via Amex Platinum how do I :
    1. Work out what room I “may, if available” be upgraded to ?
    2. Do I book a breakfast rate in UK / IRL / Western Europe, if “continental breakfast” is my preferred MyWay benefit ?
    3. Does the 5 nights for 4 benefit only apply to standard rooms and does it include breakfast ?

Thanks

• Genghis says:

1. You cross your fingers. Book and pay for what you actually want.
      2. Book room only
      3. Book room only 5 for 4 gets breakfast as Gold.

• The 5 for 4 applies to any room category on points, but anything other than a standard room usually requires a disproportionately high number of points.
      Re upgrades: it varies from hotel to hotel, sometimes they upgrade you before check in, which will show on your account, sometimes at check in, (sometimes you have to ask at check in!). There’s nothing to stop you contacting the hotel before your stay and ask what they can do, e.g. I’ve been upgraded to a family room when I’ve booked for 3 of us to stay, rather than having to use a standard room plus rollaway bed.

• Peter K says:

5 for 4 is only on basic room categories. Premium redemptions do not get the 5 for 4 discount.

• ankomonkey says:

Peter is correct – standard redemptions only can do the ‘5 for 4’ offer.

• Cuchlainn says:

Thanks to all folks – seems to be a bit of a lottery, as opposed to a science !!

4. aren’t PSO funds there to ensure connectivity to airports that aren’t big enough to enable a commercial operation ?

if BA are prepared to operate the route commercially, why on earth should taxpayer money go into subsidising an *additional* operator on the route ?!

• Charlieface says:

It would only add for them if they did the PSO

• BA was Summer only, 5 times per week I think (and now only 3x for July). Not exactly going to encourage business travel. The PSO is for a 12-month service with multiple daily frequencies.

• ah, hadn’t appreciated BA would be operating a Summer only service.

• PSO works out at £2,328 per day so, assume 3 x return flights, £388 per leg. For Flybe, £388 was probably the equivalent of 5-10 seats sold on a 78-seater so it made a difference.

Would BA want to run 6 one-way flights per day to/from Newquay in November for a subsidy of £388 per flight?

5. Dubious says:

Do NQY airport still charge the £10 departure fee payable in cash prior to security?

6. Is NQY – LON still exempt of APD?