BA CityFlyer adds nine routes from London City Airport BUT scraps regional weekend flights

BA CityFlyer has been virtually grounded due to the closure of London City Airport.  Now that the airport has re-opened, questions regarding the future of CityFlyer services have emerged.

Whilst CityFlyer normally operates 32 routes from London City, this will be reduced to just nine during the month of July.  This represents around 5% of the usual flights taking place.

According to Routes Online, the following cities will be served in July:

Dublin – 5 weekly, starts 20th July
Edinburgh
– 5 weekly, starts 20th July

Florence – 3 weekly, starts 10th July
Glasgow – 5 weekly, starts 20th July
Ibiza – daily, starts 10th July
Isle of Man – 6 weekly (this is the Loganair operated flight)
Malaga – 3 weekly, starts 10th July
Manchester – 2 flights on 31st July only
Palma Mallorca – 3 weekly, starts 10th July

All routes are operated by Embraer E190 aircraft except for the Loganair operated flight, which is on an ATR42 turboprop.

BA E190

British Airways drops ‘regional weekend’ CityFlyer services to Europe

During the week, BA CityFlyer flies from London City airport to key business destinations in Europe.  At weekends, however, it offers a range of leisure destinations to maximise the use of its aircraft.

As far as I can tell, all of these services appear to have been cancelled for Summer 2020 although passengers have not been notified.  Here are the impacted routes which have been cut:

From Edinburgh: Florence, Palma

From Glasgow: Palma

From Manchester: Alicante, Florence, Ibiza, Malaga, Mykonos, Nice, Palma

From Stansted: Faro, Florence, Ibiza, Malaga, Mykonos, Palma

Our review of the American Express Nectar credit card
Eurostar cancels services to the south of France - Lyon, Avignon, Marseille - until 2022

Comments

1. Harry T says:

My August CityFlyer flights from Edinburgh to Florence have been cancelled and I was promptly informed via email.

Good old London Airways! 😂

• Andrew says:

Send a Tweet to Nicola

She might be able to arrange alternative flights from the Scotland’s National Airport at Prestwick?

• Harry T says:

I’m English and live in Newcastle! I really don’t mind that much – I understand how BA makes profits. My money will go to EasyJet, Ryanair, KLM, Jet2 etc

2. I’ve had our EDI-FLR flights cancelled in August too. Shame as the timings are great (even driving up from Newcastle) and we find the 2-2 Embraer layout very family friendly. However, five minutes on the phone got us rerouted NCL-LHR-PSA on the same dates which works just as well for us (though would have been nearly £1k extra for the four of us had we booked it in the first place).

• But your journey is now going to take the best part of a day instead of a few hours. It’s pretty soul-destroying on the way back, especially as you have to clear security again at LHR and if your first flight is delayed you are in a mess if you’re not in time to make a later connection to NCL.

• Harry T says:

I agree. You might as well fly to Doha or Dubai in the time it’s going to take to actually get to Florence, which is a short haul destination. I see no benefit in European trips that require a connection.

• I went to Vienna with my sister last December, using the Lloyd’s voucher to upgrade to CE on the outbound. It was her first time in Club and we had a lovely journey out feeling very pampered and sampling the offerings in the Qantas and Cathay lounges. On the way back we flew direct to MAN with Easyjet on the 2030 flight meaning we had the whole of the last day in Vienna. It was definitely the best of both worlds in terms of short haul travel. I’ve done short-haul a few times via LHR and the return journey really, really sucks even in CW, so we’ve generally gone back to just using LHR for long-haul destinations, especially those with no direct flight from MAN.

• Jon111 says:

Hi Paul
      I am in a similar position with Manchester to Mykonos flights in September (although I haven’t been notified yet, I imagine they’re working through them in date order). I have found flights via LHR which I would be happy with but the price is a lot more. Am I right in assuming they will offer me these at no extra cost?
      Cheers
      Jon

3. People in the regions need to vote with their feet use Lufthansa, KLM, AF, Finnair, SAS, Norwegian, Austrian, Swiss, Icelandair, Virgin, Aer Lingus, Stobbart, Eastern, Loganair, United, American, Rouge, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Jet2, Easyjet, Wizz, Ryanair and others …anybody but BA unless you’re using avios and even then only if it is the best option. We need to stop supporting BA and London at the expense of our local airports, travel opportunities and economies.

• That was meant to be a reply supportingrting @Harry and a plea to others.

• mutley says:

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. A case in point, BA scrapping Leeds is a prime example, the fourth largest urban area in the country with a 1.7m population and no air link to London.

• Harry T says:

Couldn’t agree more! I have several bookings for the next few months with Ryanair and easyJet. Jet2 cancelled on me but they are a great company nonetheless. I’m hoping KLM flights from Newcastle start picking up again so a weekend away is easier (Amsterdam flights are once a day at present).

• Lady London says:

I’m doing that from London!

• the_real_a says:

I mean we have… for about 20 years 🙂 I find it very hard to believe that anyone up here in the regions has any kind of emotional loyalty to BA, that they are willing to face inconvenience and pay higher prices to get to a place thats severed by low cost airlines directly.

I also find it bewildering that there are still die hards in London who refuse to fly loco’s because of some snobbishness factor.

• As Rob will point out, BA doesn’t care about the regions and isn’t likely to start any time soon. Sadly I think the regions will see services cut further in the short to mid-term, as was the case after 9/11. I’m happy to use BA when they’re the most convenient option (such as the LHR-GCM flight which avoids transit in the US), but am more than happy to fly with other airlines if it suits me better. My next scheduled trip is with Ryanair to Carcassonne in October – if it goes ahead!

• Doug M says:

@BJ. You make it seem so personal. BA would fly 50 times a day to Pyongyang if it was a money maker. I don’t support BA I use them when they work for me, and to be honest travelling west it’s mostly on AA tickets and often AA metal. Why would anyone use a particular airline as a commitment to support them? Wouldn’t you always just choose the best mix of location, timing and price, regardless of the airline?

4. Paul74 says:

🙂

5. Liz Stevenson says:

I had July flights cancelled from Edinburgh to Palma and took vouchers which seemed easier as I wished to rebook. Rebooked on Thursday for flight again in August BA cancelled them yesterday and now left with so many vouchers. This is the only route I would use with BA and they have refused point blank to give me cash which they have held since July 2019. Disappointed.

• Lady London says:

eu261 based on their latest cancellation you have the right to a full refund in cash at your choice and dont take no for an answer. Go Section 75, chargeback (check with your card if they will do a prompt chargeback otherwise section 75 for not having received what you paid for) otherwise moneyclaim dot gov dot uk and tell the airline you will do this

• CEDR mediation service was brilliant with me last year when BA was refusing delay compensation. BA didn’t even try to argue the case once they were involved, just paid up without quibbling.

6. For the last couple of years, CityFlyer have also been running summer leisure routes out of Bristol.
    I don’t know if they were scheduled to do so this year but there may well also be some affected routes from there.

7. BA assure me my Cityflyer MAN-JMK flight operates 26 Sept. However, it appears to me all regional Cityflyer summer flights will be cancelled. My accommodation is cancel fee free if I do it now. In another 2 weeks costs will be incurred. If I wait for BA to cancel avoidable costs will be incurred. If they know now the flight will not operate then they should say so and not lie.This is not the way to inspire confidence for future bookings or retain any business.

8. Sunguy says:

Actually – this is (kinda) good news.

Flying back to LCY on a Sunday was always fraught with danger that your aircraft would be caught running late.

I had such a very (un) happy 9 hrs at GLA a year or so ago, where my initial LCY flight was delayed and eventually cancelled, then moved to a different LCY flight, which the inbound aircraft arrived and was promptly canceled because of running out of flight time. I eventually endedup at LHR 9hrs later than planned.

All of this because they were running aircraft to/from Spain and other destinations and running late with limited crew.