Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

You will now receive your Dell cashback from American Express Business Platinum!

American Express recently launched a series of promotions to support holders of Business Platinum cards.  We wrote about the Amex Business Platinum cashback deals here.

One of these was the offer of ‘£150 cashback on a £150 purchase from Dell’.

Whilst Dell was clearly hoping that you would use the money towards an expensive new computer, you are free to spend it on whatever you wish from a special Dell / Amex website.  This means that you can put together a £150 package of travel luggage and computer accessories and get it for free.

American Express Dell £150 cashback offer

However, it turned out that if you buy multiple items at the same time, Dell was charging each one separately on your American Express card if items were shipped in separate packages.  The cashback promotion was NOT cumulative and did NOT pay out unless there is a single charge for £150+ onto your Amex Business card.

The best bit was that Dell would not allow you to return the items you bought because ‘business to business’ transactions are not covered by the laws allowing automatic refunds for online transactions.

Following our article, Amex has swung into action and fixed the problem.  Amex dropped me a note on Wednesday to confirm:

The offer has now been changed so that cumulative transactions, totalling £150, trigger the cashback

Cardholders who have contacted Amex to complain about this should already have been credited with their missing cashback

Amex is combing through the accounts of all other Business Platinum cardholders who have spent at Dell recently and will manually apply the cashback if it is due

The offer runs until 27th August so, if you haven’t taken advantage yet (and I haven’t, to be honest) there is still time to place an order.

Comments (31)

• onlysuites says:

Thanks Amex! Great service yet again!

• Fred (Your comment is awaiting moderation) says:

Rob, whatever happened to your Currys in-store ‘£20 credit’ experiment?

• Rob says:

The central London ones are not open yet, or at least weren’t when I checked last week. A reader posted last week that he’d bought a gift card at an out of town one and it didn’t track.

• John Caribbean says:

I’m on one of those Gatwick long hauls (Bermuda) in September. No lounge access would make my trip that bit less fun

• Anna says:

I briefly toyed with the idea of Bermuda as we have family there but opted for a staycation due to the government faffing around with making decisions on travel! Also from what I’ve read you gave to be tested every 3 or 4 days which would be annoying.

• John Caribbean says:

Thanks Anna, I’ll look into that testing carry on. A fluid situation I imagine

• 1nfrequent says:

The Crowne Plaza at JFK still hasn’t refunded me for a stay I had booked in April. Been in contact with them several times but the only response was to tell me that my stay had indeed been cancelled. The IHG cancellation terms say to allow 90 days for the refund, which expires on Monday. Have sent them a final email but looks like I’ll be doing a cc chargeback on them. So frustrating. Every other IHG hotel I had booked was excellent and processed the refunds within 5 working days.

1F

• r* says:

I wouldnt trust ihg to honor anything lol. They let their hotels act like thieves and wont do a thing.

• Hotel-User says:

If you think that IHG are bad with the refunds, you should try Accor. Every country different reasons not to refund. Only way is a CC chargeback. Amex stepped up to the plate on this for us.

• Julian says:

Rob,

Good to hear that the content of HeadForPoints articles sometimes causes Amex to swing in to action to fix their IT failings, even though as you have admitted to me you don’t seem to have any personal contact at Amex UK that you can directly approach by email or phone to get these things fixed. Although the subject matter in that case was Shop Small not being available in My Offers for my card.

After trying pot luck calling Amex and finally getting a member of staff in Brighton and not the Philippinnes they were able to get Shop Small manually activated on my account, although as to why it wasn’t possible through My Offers there never seemed to be an explanation. However looking at who the Shop Small shops are (they are only the ones on the map with the correct symbol and not those in the shop list as that includes all Amex taking shops in the area) I still reckon I have my work cut out to fully take up the offer………..

• jek says:

Anybody who fully understands the T&C of the Melia 50% more points offer? The T&C conditions say:
    “If you cancel a reservation with flexible conditions before December 30th, the points will be credited again in your account and available to be used for another booking.
    If you cancel a reservation with prepaid conditions before December 30th, the Bonus Points will expire.”
    However, it is not clear to me if the following conditions offered by Melia “If you cancel 7 day(s) before arrival or are a no-show, 1 night(s) charge as cancellation penalty will apply.” is considered a “flexible” condition that would re-deposit the bonus points into my account if I cancel more than a week before.
    I have tried to contact Melia, but as usual, received no reply.
    Anybody has thoughts on these T&Cs?