Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways launches a new route to Belfast City Airport

British Airways has announced its first new route for some time, if you exclude those routes forcibly moved from Gatwick to Heathrow in recent weeks!

From 1st September, BA CityFlyer will fly from London City Airport to Belfast City Airport.  It will run daily, except Saturdays.

British Airways launches London City Airport to Belfast City Airport

British Airways and its sister airline Aer Lingus already fly to Belfast City from Heathrow.  London City to Belfast City was previously operated by Flybe.

If you are thinking of trying out the route, our review of the British Airways lounge at Belfast City is here and our review of the Aspire Lounge at Belfast City is here.  Aspire has recently taken over the management of the British Airways lounge and it is possible that the two spaces will be merged at some point.

Comments (35)

• Alex Sm says:

Will BA follow suit with its black card? Would be nice of them. My renewal is in August

• Andrew says:

Or at least maybe a spend £50 at Waitrose/M&S offer, similar to what they did with Platinum card

• eligold says:

We really need to get the pressure up against AMEX and get then to do the same on the BAPP card

• Andrew says:

Yeah I’m not sure a few extra Avios at supermarkets which they are currently offering really cuts it – plus I think we’ve all got more Avios than we can spend due to cancelled trips, that extra Avios probably aren’t really a priority at the moment. It would be good to see a money back deal for flight bookings too maybe.

• Alex Sm says:

Not really! I got a massive negative balance of Avios on black Amex card because of refunds. Was not helpful at all…

• Aaron says:

I’m really happy about the new route, saves me trekking across London to get to Heathrow.

Won’t get the advantage of the lounge but it should save plenty of time.

• Travel Strong says:

From hfp comments it feels like those that started (or already renewed) their virgin+ card year in 2020 are getting the £40 now, and those that started last year (i.e. have a renewal due later in 2020) are not getting the £40 unless they renew.

Anyone have any experience to the contrary?

• fivebobbill says:

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to collect/use Avios on the new BA CityFlyer Belfast flight, and would it count as a flight towards your BA status?

• fivebobbill says:

Sorry, just to add, I used this connection regularly pre Covid when FlyBe operated it and was very sorry to see it go, much more convenient than Heathrow, and able to use/collect Avios on it.

• Rob says:

Yes and yes.

• Paul says:

Virgins refund of £40 with strings attached was a very generous offer. Compared this to AmericaN Express’ response which required expenditure or for there to be a blue moon and your birthday before they provided any support. I seen Amex UK has probably been one of the meanest responses globally with EU colleagues being showered with points and offers.
    As of this morning I do not have a single offer on my BAPP card and 5 utterly useless offers on the platinum card, I mean who is buying a hamper?!
    I was going to use the Dell offer until Dell increased prices by 16% just after it launched!