REGISTER NOW: Earn double Avios on British Airways flights and at BA Holidays!

It’s back!  British Airways has launched a new ‘double Avios’ offer for the Summer and Autumn.

This has the potential to be very lucrative if you can work it around your travel plans.

This offer has also been extended to BA Holidays if your BA account is registered in the UK or US.  Not only will you get double Avios on BA flights booked as part of a BA Holidays package, but the bonus Avios you earn for using BA Holidays are doubled to 2 Avios per £1.

The sign up page for the offer is here.  You MUST register before making any bookings.

Earn double Avios on BA Holidays

The offer is simple on the face of it:

Registration is required via this page of ba.com

The offer is open to all BAEC members globally for flight bookings

The offer is open to BAEC members in the UK and USA for BA Holidays bookings

You earn double base Avios, excluding cabin and status bonuses, on your next 10 qualifying BA flights (a return trip = 2 flights)

You must book your flights between today and 31st August

Existing bookings prior to registration do not count

You must fly before 31st December 2020

The offer is also valid on American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair flights when travelling between Europe and North America on a BA flight numberDon’t be fooled by the statement at the top of the registration page that AA, Iberia and Finnair flights to North Ameria count – the terms and conditions say they do not, unless there is a BA flight number on your boarding pass.

British Airways flights booked as part of a BA Holidays package WILL count.  You also get an extra bonus for booking via BA Holiday which I discuss later on.

The offer is also valid on Comair-operated BA services in Southern Africa, although Comair is not currently flying.

Apart from the transatlantic exceptions above, no other BA codeshare or franchise flight will count.  You won’t get double Avios on, for example, a Bangkok Airways, Vistara, Aer Lingus, Qatar Airways or Vueling flight with a BA flight number.

Note that double Avios are awarded on the first ten qualifying flights that you fly after registering and booking. The order you book them makes no difference.  If you book 15 flights, you will get double Avios on the first 10 you fly and not the first 10 you booked.

Earn double Avios on British Airways flights

Here’s a snag though ….

You only get double Avios on your first 10 segments.

If you have a number of long-haul flights coming up before the end of the year, you don’t want to use up your 10 flight allowance too quickly.  This means, bizarrely, you may want to consider moving some short-haul flights away from British Airways.  This will preserve your 10 flight ‘double Avios’ allowance for long-haul flights which will be far more lucrative.

And an extra bonus when you book with BA Holidays

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that we are big fans of booking your flights via BA Holidays if you can, adding in a hotel or car rental.

The main reason for this is that a ‘flight and hotel’ or ‘flight and car’ package is often cheaper than booking a flight on its own, especially in Club World.

There are two other good reasons to book with BA Holidays:

you only need to pay a deposit at the time of booking, with the balance only due a few weeks before travel

you receive an extra bonus of 1 Avios per £1 spent on top of the Avios you receive from your flights and from your credit card spend if you use a BA Amex

The only downside is that flights booked via BA Holidays do not qualify for On Business points in the BA small business loyalty programme.

During this promotion, you get two extra bonuses for booking via BA Holidays at ba.com or via the BA call centre:

your flights will earn double Avios, as long as they meet the definition of ‘qualifying flights’ and originate in the UK

the extra Avios you receive for booking with BA Holidays is doubled from 1 Avios per £1 to 2 Avios per £1

The same rules apply as with the main promotion – you must register before booking, you must book before 31st August and you must travel by 31st December 2020.

Don’t forget to register before you book

You can register for double Avios here.  I would do it now, even if you don’t have any immediate plans to book and travel, just in case you forget.

Park Hyatt drops its flagship Mallorca hotel resort - will be taken over by a local brand
Bits: British Airways is paid £125,000 per month to fly to Newquay, 400 Travelodge hotels likely to rebrand as Ibis

Comments

1. roberto says:

Typical , I booked a holiday yesterday ! However when I went to register today it said I already had so don’t know if the karma fairies have blessed me somehow.

• Lady London says:

You do seem to have a knack for “perfect” timing, @Roberto!

Next time you’re going to book or sign up for something, please post here and we’ll all wait 2 to 7 days and grab the deal you missed 🙂

• Roberto says:

I do…. Thats twice this month !
        I still want/need to book a ME trip for october as it looks like our Nashville and Memphis holiday wont be happening. I will give you notice when I press the button. The sale will start within 48 hours of my credit cards getting charged I would guess.

• Optimus Prime says:

First time in my life I got status was this year after a trip to NZ. Look at how I’m enjoying my Silver benefits now…

• LondonFoodie says:

Same here. I think it is the 3rd or 4th time this is happened with these promos.

2. Secret Squirrel says:

Ah yes, def damp squib in a box!

3. Andreas says:

How does hotel status work when booking through BA Holidays (or another third party)? Say you’ve got gold status with Hilton or Marriott through Amex Plat – are you still entitled to the benefits of gold tier even though you’ve not booked directly?

• You won’t get any points as the booking is through an agent.

You can call up the hotel to add your number to the reservation but in my experience it has been 50/50 if they honour the status privileges (eg: exec lounge access, upgrades, etc…).

• ChrisC says:

It’s up to the hotel if they offer you status benefits (or not) and if they do which ones.

As Rob says often they use the higher price difference between a direct and indrect booking to pay for all those benefits

4. Perfect, was about to book some flights to DXB later today.

Speaking of, I’m looking at November and can only see 2x 777 and 1x 747 on the schedule. I thought the A350 was operating on this route, am I correct in assuming the 747 would get swapped for the A350 come November?

• Winter schedule hasn’t been updated yet, likely to be A350.

• Who knows? Hard to see BA running more than 1 flight per day if a) the testing rules are not relaxed and b) Dubai does not come off the ‘must quarantine’ list.

We have just booked some back-up flights to Barbados on Virgin for October half term. Amazingly I could get 4 Upper Class for Sun 25 – Sun 1st.

• I agree. I have a flight booked for DXB in November. Had booked upper deck seats. Sadly now assuming not only will I not be flying upper deck (well we know this part) but that because of the new testing rules (hard to see going anytime soon) I’ll be facing another cancelled trip. Small problem in the scheme of things.

• Mine is even more complex. We are flying into Dubai and out of Muscat. Situation in Oman is dreadful at the moment so even if the quarantine rules change for the UAE, Muscat looks troublesome.

As the kids need to go straight back to school after October half term, quarantine is obviously not possible.

5. Kipto says:

One way ba could recoup some money is by putting on more flights to holiday destinations over the half term holiday in October and Feb. Due to the limited travel period, especially returning back to the uk, prices are sky high.

6. Lady London says:

Of course we all hope BA can fly as many flights as possible for passengers between now and 31 Dec.

Wondering if they cancel a booked flight, and there really isnt an alternative flight, or passenger cant rebook to travel same route with BA before 31 December, is the opportunity to earn the promotional avios going to be lost. Thinking about it from BA’s position, would they play hard ball on this one?

7. Now all we need is a good luxury sale and Bulgaria staying off the quarantine list so we can be in SOF every weekend to get that CCR card 😀

8. Alex W says:

I am scratching my head as to why airlines like BA and Virgin are not offering transfer bonuses in order to raise cash. I have Tesco Clubcard, Amex MRs and the site that shall not be named, all waiting to be transferred to Avios/Virgin, but no bonus is forthcoming. Can you give them a nudge Rob or is there some reason they won’t do it?!

9. Hahaha yep got the email and saw it’s for flights booked in the next month for travel by December, so that’ll be sod all use then! Finally got FTV sorted for 241 booking in Sept (turned out the eticket hadn’t been issued previously) so nothing booked at all going forward!

• Lady London says:

They might offer the usual “book Club return and upgrade 1 leg free to First” in late September for travel till the end of the year also. If they’ve got any aircraft still flying First, of course…

• Indeed although even if they did I’m not sure if I’d book it given how things are, esp knock on effect on work if have to quarantine after, which could be when we’re esp busy if there’s a second wave.

• Lady London says:

be careful I am wondering if booking
      using a Future Travel Voucher would count as a new booking.

• If it’s a cash one I’d imagine it would do but prob no way of knowing until after the time. My FTV use will be for next Sept and is Avios so won’t find out!

10. Colin says:

“ If you have a number of long-haul flights coming up before the end of the year, you don’t want to use up your 10 flight allowance too quickly”

Which long haul destinations will allow us in as it stands? Caribbean has been mentioned I think. Obvs a lot can change but you can’t book with any confidence that your trip will go ahead (you can be reasonably confident that New Zealand wouldn’t this year, for example)

Asia- no in general (South Korea with a 14 day quarantine I think)
    North America – no
    South America – Brazil?
    Australia/New Zealand – no
    Africa- South Africa won’t, no idea about the rest.

• Robert says:

If they aren’t letting us in, will BA still operate the flight? Have Japan coming up in Autumn, not sure if they’re letting in or not.

• Chrisasaurus says:

I would assume so – returning locals are allowed in as is cargo and a good deal of the routes that do still go are the ones with decent cargo loading

11. Aliks says:

I booked flights to Italy last week – outbound to Pisa, return from Genoa. Today I receive an email from BA saying the flights have been cancelled and rebooked onto the best alternative:
    BA606 LHR 15:40 – 19:00 PSA
    has been rebooked onto:
    BA606 LHR 15:40 – 18:55 PSA
    and
    BA2689 GOA 12:00 – 13:00 LGW
    has been rebooked onto:
    BA2689 GOA 12:00 – 13:00 LHR

It took a few minutes staring at the email to realise that the inbound flight was now arriving at Heathrow, which is good for me.
    I have to actually accept the changes on the BA website, so I guess I could cancel and rebook to get the Avios offer. Unfortunately, the BA sale is now over and flights are £30 or so more expensive, so probably not worth it.
    Ah well one door opens, another door closes . . .

• Hope the BA website lets you accept the changes to save you having to call – if you have a connecting flight it sadly never works, which is a bit of a pain.