Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get a hotel deal with a Melia 40% buy points bonus

MeliaRewards is running a ‘buy points’ promo. Until 31st October, all purchases up to 150,000 points will receive a 40% bonus.

1,000 points, plus bonus, are being offered for €5. The bonus is applied on top, so you will get 1,400 points for €5.  This works out at 0.36 Eurocents per point or €3.57 per 1000.

This is cheap – almost as cheap as it gets, although we have seen a 50% bonus in the past.

Melia 40 buy points bonus

However, unlike the last 50% bonus, these points do NOT come with any specific rules over how you can use them.  The bonus points are added to your existing balance and you can use them however and whenever you wish.

Here is a pricing example.  In London, the Melia White House is 24,126 points per night.  This is an absolute bargain at under £75, based on paying 0.357 Eurocents per point.

Melia buy points bonus

It is also worth noting that Melia makes ALL room categories, including suites, available for points.  Standard rooms are usually the best value but you should save on the normal cash rate whatever category you book.

The funky lifestyle hotel ME London on The Strand, below, is 41,360 points, which would cost you £127.  You would pay double that for cash.

Melia buy points bonus

Innside New York NoMad, reviewed here, is an excellent way to use up MeliaRewards points but that is a bit risky to book speculatively given that there is no sign of US tourism opening up this year.

You could, on the other hand, take a punt on the UK quarantine situation and get an excellent deal in Spain or Portugal (Melia is a Spanish-owned chain) by buying and redeeming points.  It looks like Melia is trying to quietly sell rooms at heavily discounted prices via the back door without having to reduce its headline prices for those willing to pay the standard rate.

You can purchase Melia points here.

Comments (18)

• Phil W says:

I’ve got a spend £300 get £75 back Amex statement credit with Meliá. Do you think this will stack.

Also when I click through, I don’t see the But Points promotion.

• P says:

Melia White House is closed and most likely won’t open this year.

• Sukes says:

Room rates to stay at White House currently are available direct and on Booking.com. The Level rooms which are marketed as a separate hotel are available from Nov. I have a Nov booking so am hopeful. Meliá refused me a refund for a closed Spanish hotel in June, ended up having to do Amex Cashback which Melia immediately disputed despite irrefutable evidence that the hotel was closed. Amex found in my favour and formally closed their investigation end Jul. Wasn’t impressed by melia’s approach.

• Lady London says:

unbelievable they would try that, Sukes. They were a bit unlucky trying it on you, weren’t they 🙂 !

• Sukes says:

Thanks LL I won’t pat myself on the back just yet, I’m currently trying to sort out a package hol Refund with Etihad Holidays for hol due to depart 21 Sept. bit hard to go when the country won’t let in air tourists!! At least when a hotel is closed it’s legally clear cut….not the case when a border is closed but flights and hotel are operating. It does seem rich when it is the owner of the package hol company aka Abu Dhabi gov that is the ‘blocking’ factor….Will post here when this latest refund hassle gets resolved….but I fear that will be many weeks. To give credit to the on the ground Melia staff I was staying at Melia Fuerteventura in Mar when the Spanish lockdown launched and the hotel dealt with the situation excellently. Very good super relaxing secluded hotel, I hope we can return in 2021 if not before.

• Phil says:

I had the same with Secret Escapes and the InterContinental Mauritius in May. They said that it was my fault I couldn’t get to Mauritius and I couldn’t have a refund. I pointed out to them my only contractual responsibility was to pay the fee, they needed to supply the accommodation. If the accommodation was closed, I was entitled to a refund. Creation agreed with me.

• TGLoyalty says:

Can’t believe they argue that they wont refund your for a CLOSED hotel, absolutely unbelievable

• FFoxSake says:

Is that a guess or do you have some information about plans from Melia? It is bookable for October onwards. I have a some nights in December booked.

• Alan says:

No chance I’ll be taking a punt on Spain/Portugal, wouldn’t be fair to my colleagues at work plus given they’re on the quarantine list just now if I booked and they were still on the list I wouldn’t be covered for the 14 days quarantine.

• rams1981 says:

is purchasing more points the best way to avoid expiry of existing points? Or is there an transfer from Amex option?

• Uddin says:

If you book Melia White House you will be booked out to their Kensington Hotel or you can, as Sukes, try to get a refund out of them. Not easy but definitely doable either by chargeback or small claims court. I would always pay with a credit card – points option is much riskier.

• Sukes says:

Thks Uddin, interesting as I was outside the Kensington hotel last mth (staying at the excellent Crowne plaza on the even more excellent bogof deal comments here alerted me to) and the front of the Kensington hotel is absolutely COVERED in scaffolding and green netting. It just looked closed. I thought my Nov trip at White House, booked in Jan, would be safe from Covid disruption but looks like that was wishful thinking!