Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Some British Airways Amex 2-4-1 companion vouchers extended by ANOTHER six months

Very quietly, all British Airways American Express 2-4-1 companion vouchers due to expire between 1st October 2020 and 31st March 2021 have been extended by a FURTHER six months.

(Gold Upgrade Vouchers with the same expiry dates have also been extended, but that is not the subject of this article.)

British Airways American Express companion voucher extended

In addition, all new companion vouchers issued between 1st October and 31st March 2021 will come with a six month extension.  This means that vouchers on the free British American Express will be issued for 18 months and those on the British Airways Premium Plus for 30 months.

So some companion vouchers have been extended twice?

Yes.  Here is a screenshot from my wife’s account to prove it:

BA screenshot

Note that the vouchers were issued in July 2018 and April 2019 and so should have expired in July 2020 and April 2021.  (This is off a British Airways Premium Plus American Express so the voucher has a 2-year validity.)

The voucher from July 2018, which was due to expire in January 2021 after the first extension, is now due to expire in July 2021.

However, the other voucher – due to expire in October 2021 after the first extension – has NOT been extended further.  This is because this new extension only applies to vouchers due to expire by 31st March 2021.

Hopefully you will see the same when you go into your British Airways Executive Club account.

British Airways American Express companion voucher extended

If you want to learn more about how to use it now you have the extension, this Head for Points artice is the definitive guide on everything you need to know about the British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher.

You can also learn more about how the British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher works in this ‘Avios Redemption University’ article.

If you don’t have a British Airways American Express credit card, here are links to our reviews:

British Airways American Express card

British Airways American Express

5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review

BA Premium Plus American Express card BAPP

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

Comments (31)

• Ali M says:

would it be worth ringing them? Ours hasn’t been extended (due to expire in July 2021) Any email address we can send it to instead of calling

• Grant says:

“this new extension only applies to vouchers due to expire by 31st March 2021.”

• Rhys says:

This extension is only for vouchers expiring until March.

• Ali M says:

• Aleks says:

Hy Rhys, we’ve got two 2-4-1 vouchers in our household, the first was issued 31/7/19 and expired 31/7/21 and was then extended to 31/1/22. The second was issued 14/8/19 and expired 14/8/21 and has been extended to 14/2/22.

From what I understand of your article both these should be extended for another six months – however on checking our accounts neither has been extended. Should it have been extended and should I chase it? Thanks for your help and advice.

• VinZ says:

I contacted them to ask for an extension on mine which expires in May. I did this before this news was out – they responded declining. Possibly it’ll be extended in a couple of months, automatically…

• Will CARPMAEL says:

Lloyd’s avios vouchers were being extended only to 31/12/20 last week if you called. Anyone know if they get another 6mo now?

• Graham Walsh says:

My voucher that was expiring next month has been extended. I can’t remember if I can call up, will they swap the voucher used. I rebooked a trip last week using a voucher that expires in 2022, I can use this one up in March (if we can fly) before it expires now.

• Kevin B says:

Are we saying that those of us who need to spend 10k to trigger our next voucher between April and September next year would be advised to try and trigger it before end of March to benefit from the 6 month extension?

• Chuck says:

There is still hope that may extend my Gold card then ? Made my 1500 TP but as a July renewal I only get until August 21 to use the benefits … not much chance of that. Even less chance of hitting the new soft target.
    Anyone else in the same position ?

• 20-Horse says:

Hi, I used a voucher, issued 24/11/18 to book flights to Mauritius and back from Durban, when the pandemic struck, we shifted the back from Durban to back from Mauritius – no charge, then BA cancelled Mauritius, so we just shifted them to and from JNB for January. Now the voucher shows used, obviously, and shows expiry 24/05/21. Now with SA looking dodgy for early new year, we thought about shifting again to the USA in September. As it stands, the voucher will have expired, but just wondered what the smart people might think of our chances of changing the flights and keeping the use of the voucher? Thanks.

• Anna says:

FTV will extend the validity of your 241 to April 2022, or hang on a bit and see if BA starts extending more vouchers.

• 20-Horse says:

Thank you, called this morning to BA and the US flights in September return October were available and I had to take a Future Travel Voucher for the JNB for January and then call to re book to USA. Done, no trouble, so the FTV did indeed extend the life of the companion voucher. Very Useful. Thanks for your help. Best wishes.

• Bagginsurrey says:

When I used a 241 previously, I was able to book out and back at the same time as after 355 days out. I’ve just booked an outgoing 241 flight on lIne at 1am for Oct 21 and I’m waiting for return flight to appear. I know that I need to ring BA to add return to my booking and I’ve googled the USA and Japan numbers for ringing on seat release but has anyone got known correct numbers please? Thank you.