Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: £400 Marriott deal extended, £10 free Amazon credit, Alaska Airlines joins oneworld in March

News in brief:

American Express extends the £400 Marriott offer

Many Head for Points readers with The Platinum Card from American Express have received a £400 Marriott cashback credit this week – click here.

The offer was due to end in November. However, if you take a look online, you will see that it now ends on 19th December:

This is good news for anyone wishing to visit The Langley or the London EDITION as those hotels are not open yet.

Details of extra benefits you can get with this offer via our hotel booking partner Emyr Thomas are here.

The Langley £400 Marriott cashback

£10 of free Amazon credit for Prime members

Today is the final day of the two-day Amazon Prime Day event. If you are buying anything, we’re always grateful if you use our link (click) – we earn a small commission on every purchase which keeps us ticking over.

(The most interesting deal, if you’ve never tried a smart speaker and want to know what all the fuss is about, is an Echo Dot for a ludicrous £18.99 – see here.)

If you are an Amazon Prime member, Amazon is offering £10 of free credit when you top up your account by £100. This is basically free money if you are a regular Amazon user.

To register for the £10 top up, visit this page. You must register before purchasing your top up. You don’t see the offer when you purchase your top-up, but the email receipt shows:

Remember that this is only for Amazon Prime members.

Alaska Airlines joins oneworld early

Alaska Airlines will join oneworld on 31st March 2021

In February, Alaska Airlines announced its intentions to join the oneworld alliance.  It will become the 14th full member.

The airline was hoping to complete formalities in record time, with membership finalised by the end of 2020. This has now fallen through, and the airline has just announced that 31st March 2021 is the revised joining date.

Because of the existing British Airways / Alaska partnership, covered in this article, you are gaining less than you think from their entry into oneworld.

It is already possible to spend Avios on Alaska.  The problem is that you only can book by calling British Airways as it is not integrated into ba.com.  This should change once Alaska joins oneworld fully.

The real benefit is from tier points.  Whilst you currently earn Avios when flying with Alaska, you do NOT earn British Airways Executive Club tier points.  This will now change.

British Airways Executive Club Silver and Gold members will also get access to the full range of oneworld benefits when flying with Alaska, including lounge access, priority check-in, baggage, boarding and preferred seat selection.

Members of other oneworld frequent flyer programmes have more to gain from this announcement than Executive Club members, as it will open up Alaska award inventory to them for the first time.

Comments (68)

• Robert says:

Good news both on the Marriot deal and amazon credit so thanks guys.

• MissGeekChic says:

When I click to go to the amazon deal, it says that the offer has ended. Does anyone else see that too? I thought it was running till midnight?!

• Niall says:

Help! I hadn’t realised that London Edition (the hotel) is still closed whereas Berners Tavern (the restaurant) is open. I’ve a night booked on the 27th to take up the Amex offer via Virtuoso on non-refundable terms that can only be cancelled up to midnight tonight (not sure why nights can be booked when the hotel’s not yet open).

Should I cancel? Or take the risk that the hotel will open a folio for me even though I’ll only be dining at Berners Tavern? Don’t want to be out of pocket by £400 because of a ‘schoolboy error’….

• Harry T says:

There’s a good chance that charges from the restaurant will trigger as a separate entity to the hotel payment system – I doubt you’ll get your amex credit.

The hotel is scheduled to open on 22nd October, according to their last email to me.

• Niall says:

That’s what I see online too (22nd opening), but the reception appears to be unsure (or unwilling to confirm).

What a dilemma! Maybe I should just ask them now if they’ll be able to use the hotel payment system, seeing as I’d be registered on it that night as a guest?

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

For a £400 restaurant reservation in this economic environment, I’d just email the restaurant explaining your situation with the Amex offer and ask them if they can promise to bill it through the hotel if it doesn’t open as planned.

• Scallder says:

Berners Tavern does come through as Marriott – have always got the bonus points on the SPG/Bonvoy Amex

• Harry T says:

Nice, thanks for letting us know. Every hotel is different!

• Niall says:

Thanks! Though that presents a new dilemma as to whether or not “Marriott” spend at Berners Tavern would qualify for the Amex offer. It’s not exactly check-out spend…

• AY says:

Did you cancell? I also have a room booked through FHR on 25 October but now when I look at rooms it doesn’t show availablity. Amex haven’t contacted me to cancel though.

• TomD says:

Urgh! Been wanting an Amex Plat, not sure if worth jumping the gun (for no joining bonus as I cancelled my Amex Gold 2 months ago)

• Harry T says:

Thanks for the amazon link, Rob. It forced the app to open on my phone, so hopefully that still generates commission.

• María J says:

Rob, re the Marion offer, if you check out on the 19/12 is that valid?

• María J says:

* Marriott

• GRice says:

Just a Watch-Out for anyone booking a Turnbury weekend. If you book one of their standard ‘packages’ rather than a rack-rate, they’ll automatically deduct a £150 deposit from you. Having confirmed with AMEX, their offer is based on a single transaction charge to your Platinum card, rather than the total of multiple transactions, so in my case (booking 2 nights at £250 per night [total £500],but with a deposit of £150, I wouldn’t qualify for the £400 Amex refund). After a long chat with the hotel there is a work-around – ask for your deposit back at Check-in, but I can’t help think they’re not automatically honouring the spirit of the offer!