If you have some Radisson Rewards points, you may be wondering if it is worth transferring them to Avios or other frequent flyer miles.
The answer, in this case, is ‘No’.
Some hotel loyalty programmes, led by Marriott Bonvoy, are keen to promote the idea that you can turn your hotel points into airline miles. With Bonvoy, you don’t lose much value.
I value a Marriott Bonvoy point at 0.5p. With a conversion rate of 60,000 Bonvoy points to 25,000 Avios or other miles, you are swapping £300 of hotel room for £250 of airline miles (assuming 1p value per mile). That is not a bad trade.
Radisson Rewards, on the other hand, desperately tries to stop you redeeming for anything except hotel rooms. After all, third party redemptions like miles cost it real money.
This is the page to convert your Radisson Rewards points to Avios or other airline miles.
Look at the conversion rates:
- 2,000 points = 200 miles
- 50,000 points = 5,000 miles
- 100,000 points = 10,000 miles
Don’t ask why they even bother with the higher levels given that it is still 10:1.
Is this a good deal?
I value a Radisson Rewards point at 0.33p. This makes sense, given that a 5-star hotel tends to cost 70,000 points and would be £200+ for cash.
On this 10:1 conversion rate, you are giving up 3.3p of hotel room to get 1p of airline mile. You are losing two thirds of the value of your points.
It MIGHT be worthwhile if you have a small number of Radisson Rewards points – say 10,000 – which are not enough to get you a free room. Perhaps it is better to have 1,000 miles than hope you might earn some more one day to get a hotel stay.
For everyone else, give airline miles a miss and use your Radisson Rewards points for free nights.
You get a similarly bad deal converting your points to retailer gift cards. Take a look at the Radisson site here. You need 10,000 points to get a £10 giftcard, which is just 0.1p per point (the same value as airline miles). Remember that I value them at 0.33p per point when used for hotel rooms.
You can learn more about Radisson Rewards on the Radisson site here.
How to earn Radisson Rewards points and status from UK credit cards (October 2021)
Radisson Rewards does not have a dedicated UK credit card. However, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards. These include:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 90,000 Radisson Rewards points. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with two free airport lounge passes. 30,000 points is a special offer which runs to 9th November 2021.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 180,000 Radisson Rewards points. 60,000 points is a special offer which runs to 2nd November 2021.
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 15,000 Radisson Rewards points. This card is FREE for life.
Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.
Even better, holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Gold status for as long as they hold the card. It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)