Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: win 1 million Virgin Points, 1000 free Aegean miles, last call for 75% bonus buying IHG points

News in brief:

Win 1 million Virgin Red points

Virgin Red has launched a new ‘daily win’ game via the Virgin Red app with a top prize of 1,000,000 Virgin Red points.

There are also 100 instant win prizes to be picked up each day, offering between 200 and 5,000 Virgin Points.

Each daily entry gets you one entry into the grand draw at the end of the two weeks, when one player will win the jackpot. Just think of the number of Gregg’s sausage rolls you could get ……

To enter, open the Virgin Red app and head to the ‘Earn Points’ tab. The competition should be the first item you see.

You are directed away from the Virgin Red app onto a third party website to spin the prize wheel, which is a bit clunky.

Let us know if you pick up a prize, and remember to play each day.

1,000 very useful Aegean Miles+Bonus miles

If you are a member of the Aegean Miles+Bonus programme, you should have received an email yesterday offering you a ‘special gift’ for logging in to the website by tonight.

If you opted out of Aegean email marketing, you won’t have heard about this.

You will receive 1,000 miles when you log in to your account and click a special button – see the image below.

A lot of readers will have 5,000 Miles+Bonus miles from their promotion last year. Once you credit a Star Alliance flight segment to your account, these can be transferred to Accor Live Limitless at 4:1 and then potentially on to Avios at 1:1.

Because Aegean transfers to Accor must be done in chunks of 2,000 miles, the 1,000 free miles you can earn here are very useful. Your existing 5,000 miles become 6,000 miles, which is a ‘multiple of 2,000’ for the purposes of transferring out.

Now all you need is to credit that one Star Alliance sector ……

Last call for 75% bonus buying IHG points

IHG Rewards is currently running a 75% bonus for buying points. The offer ends on Thursday.

The link to buy is here.

We saw numerous offers of a 100% bonus during 2020, so I wouldn’t buy speculatively at this price. If you are looking to make a cash booking at the moment, however, it is worth looking at whether buying points for a redemption stay is cheaper.

Comments (49)

• YC says:

1,000 virgin points. Will this also trigger the 500 bonus? I actually was not going to sign up to Virgin Red (saw little value) but found out I am a cheap acquisition with just a chance of some free points enough

• Liz says:

I did a transaction via the app with M&S last week to try and trigger the 500 bonus. I can’t see anywhere on the app that lets me see if this transaction has tracked.

• BrianNn says:

Hi Liz. Go to ‘activity’ in the Red app. If it has tracked it will be there. I can see my Just Eat transaction pending.

• Liz says:

All I can see is my credit card spend dated 11/2. I am now annoyed as it doesn’t look like it tracked even though I def did the transaction via the app.

• Andrew says:

Did the link take you to the M&S website or the M&S app.

A few of these sites warn something along the lines of “Transaction’s completed on the retailer’s app will not track”.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Same here for an eBay txn – no mention at all

• BJ says:

Exactly the same boat as Liz here, no mention in my activity either. I am also missing 1000 points for clubcard autoconvert, only got 1000 but I don’t want to rock the boat as I didn’t have any clubcard points to convert.

• Anttelli says:

I used EBay on Friday and the pending points were showing today.

• Ianmac says:

I won 1,000 miles bringing my total to 6,000 miles.
    Then tried to transfer / convert 6,000 miles to 1,500 ALL points
    Pressed CONFIRM on transfer screen
    Pressed CONFIRM on pop-up dialogue box
    then pop-up error dialogue box with “73 ”
    Retried several times – same problem ???????

• Ianmac says:

ah, just spotted Rob’s article text
      “Once you credit a Star Alliance flight segment to your account, these can be transferred to Accor Live Limitless at 4:1 ”
      oh well, I guess that;s what error message # 73 is supposed to say …

• xcalx says:

Some of us managed to get the transfers to Accor prior to the November 25th HfP article highlighting the over generous offer. I still had 19 accounts to do.

My redemptions

22/11/2020

Accor

Conversion to ALL – Accor Reward Points

-4,000

Redeemed miles

• David says:

Wish Aegean would extended status again.
    Haven’t managed to travel yet but still have it running out very soon.

• ChrisA says:

HfP summer party in Crete?

• Premier01 says:

There was an article on Business Traveller the other day quoting LoganAirs CEO saying thay he believes the days of long business travel trips for consultants, IT, Finance and Insurance are gone thanks to the pandemic, replaced instead with online working.

Yet hotel companies continue to announce new properties, some of which are clearly designed for busienss travel.

As someone grounded for a few months on local work before the pandemic, I was looking forward to starting consultancy freelance work involving regular travel. Not only do I find it more conducive to meet face to face, I enjoy being able to get out and about.

No one has a crystal ball and I accept things will change for sure, but what peoples thoughts on how business travel will pan out?

Sure there are business owners or those in decision making roles for large companies on here who are having to look at this now that could share theire views?

• Chrisasaurus says:

If any of our competitors are putting salespeople in the field again, which they will, then so would we regardless of our preference but realistically, everyone wants to be in person anyway.

• memesweeper says:

I’m self employed and expect to be on client sites again — not everyday , but every week or two post pandemic. Some of that’s commutable but some overnight too.

• mr_jetlag says:

I think business travel will return but will look a little different post COVID, less people able/willing to jump on planes for daytrips when quarantine and covid passports (or whatever) add so much friction. Longer trips with multiple meetings over a week or two could be the norm for a while.

• babyg says:

Hmmm tried to sign up the family to virgin red, but its R18…

• Secret Squirrel says:

The VA Red app 500 points offer on first purchase. I click on the red button in the app stating get points but it just takes me to an article about how the offer works and not to anywhere I can click to earn points?

• Rob says:

You just need to do a transaction, eg click to eBay from the ‘earn’ page under the eBay box. When the points arrive, it triggers the extra 500.