UPDATE – NOVEMBER 2021: This article is now out of date, but don’t worry. We produce a monthly summary of the top hotel bonus point offers – please click HERE or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ menu above.
IHG Rewards has launched its Summer promotion and you can register now via this link. Use code 51408 if requested.
It could be very lucrative if you have some high value IHG stays coming up over the next few months, although the small print makes things a little fiddly.
You will receive nothing on your first stay, double points on your second stay and triple points on subsequent stays.
How does the new IHG Rewards promotion work?
Here are the rules in a nutshell:
- the offer is valid for stays from 15th May to 16th August
- existing bookings count – you don’t need to rebook anything
- you must register in advance via this page of ihg.com – if you are asked for a promo code, use 51408
- you earn nothing extra on your first stay after registration
- you receive double base points on your second stay after registration
- you receive triple base points on your third and subsequent stays
The number of bonus points you can earn is capped at 100,000. If you book multiple rooms at the same hotel, you can credit up to nine to your account in most countries but you only receive the bonus on one room.
Reward nights appear to be excluded. My best guess is that a redemption does not count as your first or second stay in terms of building up to the ‘3x’ level.
How valuable is this offer?
Once you get to your third stay, it is looking pretty good. Let’s assume that an IHG Rewards point is worth 0.4p (which we usually say it is) and that you have Spire Elite status and earn a 100% elite bonus.
- You spend £100 in a UK hotel …..
- …. which is £95.23 before VAT
- …. which is equivalent to $131.58
- You earn 10 base points per $1 at most brands, x3 as part of this offer, plus a 100% Spire Elite bonus on top
- You therefore receive 40 points per $1
- You receive 5,263 points for your stay ($131.58 x 40)
- At 0.4p, the points are worth £21.05
- You receive points worth 21% of what you paid
The snag, of course, is that you receive no bonus on your first stay and only 2x points on your second stay. This puts you in a frustrating position if you have an expensive IHG stay coming up.
You may even find that you would be better off doing a cheap one-night mattress run before your main stay just to push you into double or triple points. This is not necessarily the sort of behaviour that a promotion should be encouraging at the moment.
How does this compare with other promotions on the market?
Hilton Honors is offering something similar. You receive double base points on one or two night stays and triple points on 3+ night stays until 6th September.
The Hilton offer is better if you are planning an expensive 3+ night stay as your only hotel stay this Summer. Hilton has no ‘valid from your 2nd / 3rd stay’ rule unlike IHG.
Marriott has not yet released details of its Summer promotion. We have not seen anything from Radisson either. Hyatt’s existing offer runs to 15th June – details are here.
IHG’s new Summer promotion may work well for you if you are planning multiple stays over the next four months. It is less useful if you are only planning one or two IHG stays.
That said, it would be silly not to register even if you don’t have any nights booked yet.
You can register now on this page of the IHG website. If you are asked for a promo code, use 51408.
IHG Rewards update – November 2021:
Get bonus points: You can earn up to triple IHG Rewards base points with IHG’s new Autumn promotion. It runs from 1st October to 31st December. You can register here and our full article on the offer is here.
Buy points: If you need additional IHG Rewards points, you can buy them here.
Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.