For a few years, American Express has been running various levels of airport lounge access with Lufthansa for holders of The Platinum Card.
Certain lounges would be available but would disappear. The offer would have a time limit but would be permanently extended. It was a little confusing, to put it mildly. It was primarily aimed at Frankfurt and Munich.
The good news is that American Express Platinum cardholders can now access the Lufthansa lounges in Heathrow Terminal 2.
This is not open to everyone.
Firstly, you must be flying on Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian. Eurowings is not included.
Secondly, no guests are allowed – although your supplementary Platinum Card holder could obviously come in if they were with you. This means that families are excluded although children under 2 are allowed in.
There are two options available:
- If you are flying in Economy with Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian, you can use the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Terminal 2A
- If you are flying in Business with Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian, you can use the Lufthansa Senator Lounge (at the back of the Business Lounge) instead of the Business Lounge
It isn’t clear if the lounges will be open on Monday or not. American Express currently shows both as closed although I thought otherwise, to be honest.
Our last review of the Lufthansa Business and Senator lounges at Heathrow Terminal 2 is here. They are, like all Lufthansa lounges, a bit clinical and sterile, lacking in warmth and charm, but you may prefer it to sitting in the terminal.
What other airport lounges can you access with American Express Platinum?
The Platinum Card from American Express comes with a lot of airport lounge access benefits:
- You get two Priority Pass cards, each of which allows two people unlimited access to 1,300 airport lounges globally (so a family of four is covered)
- You get access to all Plaza Premium lounges with a guest by showing your Platinum card
- You get access to Delta lounges, when flying with Delta, by showing your Platinum card (no guests allowed)
- You and your guests get access to American Express’s own network of Centurion airport lounges, which are primarily in the US but which is also coming to Heathrow Terminal 3 in late 2021 (I was told two weeks ago that it is ready to open when enough flights resume)
- You can access 13 other American Express-brand airport lounges in Stockholm, Delhi, Mumbai, Mexico City x 3, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Monterrey x 2 (Mexico, not CA!), Melbourne, Sydney and Toluca – full details are here
You also get Eurostar lounge access by showing your Platinum card – this benefit is not available to Business Platinum cardholders.
You can learn more about these benefits in our full American Express Platinum review here.