Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: check the expiry of any new BA 2-4-1 vouchers, Rhys wins an award, Midpoint winners

News in brief:

Check the expiry date of any new BA Amex 2-4-1 vouchers

The Avios IT migration is 95% complete and you should now be able to log in to your account (unless your password includes an ‘&’ sign) and complete most tasks. Just don’t try anything radical such as booking a redemption on American Airlines or moving your Avios from Iberia to BA.

There is a bug with newly issued British Airways American Express 2-4-1 companion vouchers.

Until 31st December 2021, all new companion vouchers come with an additional six months of validity. Vouchers on the free British Airways American Express come with 18 months validity which those from the Premium Plus American Express come with 30 months.

(You may want to bring forward your next voucher to trigger it before 31st December to maximise its validity, but this is a discussion for another day.)

Unfortunately, someone forget to tell the computer about this.

Here is a ba.com screenshot showing a newly issued companion voucher:

British Airways companion voucher

As you can see, the latest voucher has only been issued for 24 months and not 30 months. I know at least two other HfP readers are in the same boat.

Hopefully BA pick this up after reading the above and make the necessary adjustments before people feel the need to start calling up.

Business Travel Journalism Awards

Rhys wins an award!

I’m delighted to say that Rhys has won ‘Best Newcomer To Business Travel Journalism‘ in the 2021 Business Travel Journalism Awards.

The judges said that:

‘Rhys’ great passion for aviation and in-depth knowledge of the industry are reflected in his well-informed pieces peppered with detailed statistical insights and analysis’.

Many of you will know that Rhys has also started to contribute aviation pieces to The Sunday Times travel section in recent months, although the award was based purely on his HfP writing.

It’s an especially good result because, for half of the judging period, Rhys was running our commercial activity during Sinead’s maternity leave and had to cut back on his writing.

Sadly covid restrictions have meant that the lavish in-person awards ceremony was replaced by a series of tweets for the second year. You may question how we are meant to give confidence to the travelling public when a group of business travel writers are not allowed to come together for an evening ….

Anika won the same award back in 2017. The benefit of having a small team, and the fact that my role has become more admin and desk based as the years have passed, is that our young writers have the chance to get stuck into the big stories of the day from Day 1.

Well done Rhys.

Earn Avios with Midpoint

Our Midpoint competition winners revealed

We recently ran a special bonus Avios promotion with foreign currency transfer specialist Midpoint.

As well as getting bonus Avios for making a transfer during the promotion, five lucky new Midpoint customers were chosen at random and given 10,000 bonus Avios.

(When I say ‘given’, they will turn up whenever the Avios IT migration sort itself out.)

The winners were:

• Yuval L
  • Jonathan S
  • Scott S
  • Irene F-S
  • Daniel T

Congratulations to the five of you.

If you want to earn Avios on your next foreign currency transfer – as well as paying tiny fees and getting the interbank FX rate – take a look at what Midpoint can offer you by reading this article.

Comments (91)

• Gtellez says:

At least they received their 241 vouchers, I should have received it by the 17th (as per Amex app) and still not showing. Neither my avios from this month (that usually arrive on the 20th)… I guess I should call them.

• Ross says:

Was thinking the same!
      I achieved my voucher on the 14th November. Spoke to Brighton who said it is not showing up on BAEC due to “an ongoing outage issue on BA website” and that I should contact BA to find out more.
      Would prefer to not waste hours waiting to speak to someone on the Bronze line though

• E says:

I got my 241 today (also just 24 month validity) after it was delayed from during the outage. Haven’t got my avios that should have come across so guess I also need to call.

• AmandaB says:

Ditto .
        I don’t plan to use until February so waiting a while to see if it appears. I really don’t want to have to call BA

• ChrisC says:

Same. Mine was earned on 16 Nov and hasn’t showed up in my BA account yet 🙁 Will wait another week or so in the hope situation resolves itself.

• Nick B says:

Hi there. No sign of my voucher earned 2 weeks ago. Not sure how to resolve this.

• Linda says:

My app simply says cannot update recent transactions so the 45,000+ avois that have been transferred from Amex appear to be lost in the ether! At what point should I be trying to chase this up?

• Tazzy says:

I’m exactly the same. Achieve on 16th and not showing

• Jo says:

Congratulations Rhys!
    Can someone please remind me where to find my companion vouchers in my executive club account? Thanks

• AJA says:

Only visible on desktop. Had hoped it would be an enhancement of the BAEC upgrade and made visible on the app. Sadly not to be.

Click on the 2nd “Manage My Account” sub-menu and then scroll down to “e-vouchers” sub-menu.

Also if still valid ie not yet used usually shows on the landing page as well, before IT upgrade, just below the banner where you get the message “did you know you have enough Avios for a flight to Abuja”*

* insert own choice of destination 😀

• Linda P says:

I seem to have escaped this issue just checked and my voucher achieved in October has an expiry of April 2024.

The only problem is the BA site does not seem to like Safari and the only way I have been able to access any information is through chrome.

• Cheryl D says:

Can you qualify for more than one companion voucher a year.?

• Cheryl D says:

Congratulations to Rhys

• AmandaB says:

• AmandaB says:

At least not on the same card

• Cheryl D says:

My understanding too but Interesting that the statement is stowing two vouchers issued only a couple of months apart

• AJA says:

The dates probably straddle Amex year ends. You can only earn one voucher per your Amex membership year.

My Amex year to earn a 2-4-1 ends mid April so it is perfectly possible to earn a voucher in March and then spend £10k by September and get a 2nd voucher.

• Rich says:

Yes that’s what I was more excited about, seeing two vouchers in the one account for the same year. But I am guessing that Rob’s wife probably has a separate British Airways Premium AMEX card but allocates the voucher to Rob’s BA account. For the purposes of easily booking a family of four in the same booking?

• Rob says:

It’s not my account, but I suspect one was earned at the year end – probably deliberately due to covid to maximise expiry – and the 2nd very quickly in the 2nd year.

• Rich says:

Yes could be. I only mention the above because a few years back when my wife applied for the ba premium Amex (I already had one) my wife gave my BA executive club number to Amex. So I had my exec number assigned to both AMEX accounts. We paid the appropriate fee (£195 back then). Then when we went past the threshold both vouchers for apply to my BA account. We don’t have two of the same account anymore but I wonder whether that loophole still exists?

• Will in SFO says:

Top work Rhys. Congrats.

• AJA says:

Well done Rhys! You deserve the recognition. 👏 👏

Keep up the good work!

• Susan says:

Congrats Rhys, well-deserved recognition.

• Polly says:

Rhys,
    Really enjoying your articles, great writing, well done and congrats…thought the last spread in the Times was really impressive. Was half way through it before l noticed your name, sorry!