If you’re looking for something different from a weekend break, British Airways Holidays is offering free helicopter transfers if you book a trip to Monaco.
If you’ve never been in a helicopter, it is a cool thing to do.
I think I’ve only been in a helicopter three times, and one of those times was to transfer from Nice Airport to Monaco. (This was a corporate jolly, I wasn’t spending my own money.) It isn’t a long flight at just 7 minutes, but skimming along the sea with the French coast off to your side makes it a very impressive one.
British Airways has teamed up with the Monaco Government Tourist & Convention Authority to offer a free one-way helicopter transfer with a ‘flight and hotel’ booking. The full details are here.
This offer has run in the past but is slightly different this year:
- GOOD NEWS: the minimum stay is now reduced to two nights on some dates
- GOOD NEWS: the offer now runs throughout the Summer as well as low season
- BAD NEWS: the offer is no longer valid for solo travellers
- BAD NEWS: the transfer is now just one-way on arrival, not return
Here is the small print:
- you must be a UK resident
- you must book a flight + hotel package for at least two nights (between 1st February and 30th April) or three nights (1st May to 30th September, which is the last date to travel)
- you must book for 2-8 passengers – not available for solo travellers
- you must book by 1st February
- you must book seven days before departure
- the period 16th to 30th May is excluded
Note that you must book a flight which arrives in Nice between 08:00 and 16:45. If you book a flight with an evening arrival, you will not receive the helicopter transfer.
You also get a free shuttle bus transfer from the heliport to your hotel and vouchers for “entrance to museums and attractions in the principality of Monaco”.
This is a really good deal, at least off peak. I found two nights at the four-star Columbus Monte Carlo – photo above – plus BA economy flights plus the one-way helicopter transfer for just £399 for two people (ie £199 each) for a weekend in March.
Remember that the usual BA Holidays benefits apply. You earn 1 bonus Avios for every £1 you spend, and if you pay on a British Airways Premium Plus American Express card you will receive double Avios (3 per £1) from Amex. If your booking is large enough, you can just pay a deposit now with the balance due nearer departure.
Your flights will earn Avios and tier points, but BA Holidays bookings do not qualify for On Business points in the BA small business scheme.
Full details can be found on ba.com here. Ignore the ‘book by 14th November 2021’ headline – this is a mistake and is from a previous version of the offer. The small print confirms it is running now.
Thanks to Tim for this.