In a small improvement to the Executive Club programme, British Airways has announced that Gold Upgrade for Two and Gold Upgrade for One vouchers can now be used on American Airlines.
Before we go into the details, let’s run over how these vouchers work.
- If you earn 2,500 British Airways Executive Club tier points in your membership year, you receive a ‘Gold Upgrade For Two’ voucher, known as a GUF2 in the trade
- If you earn 3,500 Tier Points you will also receive 2 x ‘Gold Upgrade For One’ (GUF1) vouchers, which can be used for yourself on two trips or for yourself plus a companion on one booking
The GUF vouchers let you upgrade a British Airways cash or Avios ticket by one class (more details on ba.com here).
Irrespective of whether you book a cash or Avios seat, you can upgrade it to the next category as long as there is either:
- Avios availability in the higher cabin, or
- ‘A’ cash tickets for sale in First Class, ‘I’ cash tickets for sale in Club World or ‘T’ cash tickets for sale in World Traveller Plus
All of the flights on your booking are upgraded, including any domestic connections. You can apply a GUF voucher at any point – it does not need to be used at the time of booking.
Gold Upgrade vouchers can now be used on American Airlines
You can now use your GUF2 and GUF1 vouchers on American Airlines, although there are three catches:
- the vouchers can only be used on American Airlines if the booking contains a transatlantic sector. You can use it for a domestic American Airlines flight as long as it is a connection to a transatlantic service.
- you cannot upgrade an American Airlines reward flight, only a cash booking
- you cannot upgrade an Economy booking to Premium Economy
- your American Airlines ticket needs to have been issued by British Airways, which means that your ticket number will start 125-
Because AA has different fare categories to BA, you will need ‘C’ class tickets to be for sale in Business Class in order to process the upgrade. First Class continues to require ‘A’ availability.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (June 2022)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
In February 2022, Barclaycard launched two exciting new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard cards.
Until 18th July 2022 there is an astonishing special offer on these cards. You get 50,000 Avios on the Avios Plus Mastercard and 10,000 Avios on the free Avios Mastercard. You can apply here. We strongly recommend getting the Avios Plus card whilst this offer is running.
You qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card:
There are two official British Airways American Express cards with attractive sign-up bonuses:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points.
SPECIAL OFFER: The sign-up bonus on Amex Gold is increased from 20,000 Membership Rewards points to 30,000 Membership Rewards points until 19th July 2022. This card is free for the first year.
Run your own business?
We recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card, along with a sign-up bonus worth 10,000 Avios.
You should also consider the British Airways Accelerating Business credit card. This is open to sole traders as well as limited companies and has a 30,000 Avios sign-up bonus.
There are also generous bonuses on the two American Express Business cards, with the points converting at 1:1 into Avios. These cards are open to sole traders as well as limited companies.
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.
(Want to earn more Avios? Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)