Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

What are Accor Live Limitless hotel points worth?

This article is our attempt to decide what Accor Live Limitless points are worth. How should you value them?

Valuing miles and hotel points is a thankless job. We have always published articles on what Avios points are worth, but that Avios article is so complex that it simply proves my point.

In the face of constant reader requests, however, I wrote this series of articles on how we value each of the major hotel points currencies. I am updating the full series this week.

What are Accor Live Limitless points worth?

Here are links to the full series:

The reason I have changed my mind after all these years is that I have found a methodology that works for me. It takes a subjective valuation and then explains the boundaries around it. Or, in plain English:

• I will tell you (without justifying it) what I think an Accor Live Limitless point is worth
  • I will tell you, on the upside, how far wrong I can be (which is good news)
  • I will tell you, on the downside, how far wrong I can be (which is bad news)
  • I will tell you what Accor Live Limitless points are worth if you turn them into something else – usually airline miles – which effectively locks in a floor value

Why I think ‘range’ is important when valuing hotel points

When we look at using Avios for business or First Class flights, the ‘cash alternative’ is often a poor comparison. Most HfP readers don’t want to, or simply can’t afford to, pay cash for business or First Class flights. Their choice is Avios or nothing. Even if you can afford to pay, what are you comparing with? A cheap non-refundable sale flight? A pricier flexible ticket? The cost of an indirect flight, not on BA?

Hotels redemptions are different:

• you stay in far more hotels each year compared to the number of premium cabin flights you take, so you can be selective about when you use points
  • you can usually afford to pay for a hotel if you choose not to use points
  • there are far more options in the hotel market than in the flight market – most people only have a lot of miles in one airline programme, whereas you are likely to hold hotel points in multiple schemes
What are Accor Live Limitless points worth?

It is easy to sit on hotel points until you get a good deal

The net result of the three facts above is that it is easy to turn down a hotel redemption when it doesn’t seem like good value. You can pay cash or redeem via another hotel scheme instead.

Here is the crux of what I am trying to say. If you compare two hotel schemes:

• scheme A usually gets you 0.3p per point but if you are lucky you can get 1p
  • scheme B usually gets you 0.4p per point but if you are lucky you can get 0.6p

…. scheme A may actually be the best.

Most people who try to ‘value’ hotel points don’t take this into account.

If you redeemed points for every stay you did, regardless of the cash price, scheme B would be the best. No-one does this though. In reality you can pay cash for your stays in scheme A until the day when a bumper redemption arrives and you can get 1p.

Here’s a real example. I value Marriott Bonvoy points at 0.5p as our article will show in a few days. If you do 20 Marriott hotel stays and use Bonvoy points for all of them, I think you will average 0.5p, give or take.

However, in December 2020, I redeemed 400,000 points for two villas at The Ritz Carlton Al Wadi Desert in Ras Al-Khaimah. This would have cost £4,800 for cash, which I would have paid if necessary. I got 1.2p per point. It justified all of the Marriott stays where I paid cash rather than redeem for 0.5p per point.

This October, I have three nights at the astounding Al Maha desert resort in Dubai booked. This is getting me 1.5p per Bonvoy point vs my 0.5p valuation.

What are Accor Live Limitless points worth?

What are Accor Live Limitless points worth?

With our methodology out of the way, let’s take a look at what Accor Live Limitless points are worth.

To keep things simple, we do not adjust for the fact that you would earn points back if you paid cash instead. This can have a noticeable impact when generous bonuses are running.

Accor Live Limitless is different to other hotel programmes

Accor Live Limitless is different to other hotel schemes and this article is structured differently to the rest of the series.

For all of the other programmes we cover, our valuation is an educated estimate based on years of redeeming points. For Accor Live Limitless, it is NOT a guess. Your points have a fixed cash value.

This is both good and bad. The real problem it causes is psychological. It is difficult to get excited about Accor Live Limitless because you can never ‘beat the system’.

Redeem in the Ibis Rotherham East or the Raffles Maldives Meradhoo resort and you get the same value per point – 2.0 Eurocents. There is no logical reason to save your points for a high value redemption, and as you can never be sure that Accor won’t devalue it could even be risky. ‘Earn and burn’ is the logical option with Accor.

‘Earn and burn’ is bad for Accor. Members do not build up huge balances – there is no reason to do so – and so the programme sees cash going out more quickly than it otherwise would. Members are not incentivised to spend at Accor because there is no reason to target ‘aspirational’ redemptions.

The HfP average valuation of an Accor Live Limitless point:

2.0 Eurocents (currently 1.70p)

This is not an estimate. It is your guaranteed return when you redeem Accor Live Limitless points for payment towards a hotel room.

The only caveat is that you may want to adjust downwards to offset the fact that you do not earn points on redemption stays. The higher your status in Accor Live Limitless, the more points you would have earned if you had paid cash.

What are Accor Live Limitless points worth?

How high can value go on the upside?

2.0 Eurocents

Because your reward is fixed, you can’t do better than 2.0 Eurocents per point. Don’t hoard your points.

If you want to extract maximum value, redeem at a hotel which charges in Euro. You will receive the full 2 Eurocents per point without being hit by a potentially dubious FX calculation by Accor.

There is one exception. Accor runs a small events programme via the Accor Experiences website.

Events promoted on this page tend to be offered VERY cheaply compared to what you get. For example, at the 2022 Taste of London food festival, it offered a set menu meal for two people with wine pairings in a private dining room plus tickets for fast track entry plus a goody bag. It turned out that there was also a pre-meal champagne reception too. The cost was 3,000 Accor Live Limitless points for two people. This was worth substantially more than the €60 of hotel credit you would get otherwise – the food in the goody bag was worth more than that on its own. It was such a good deal I went twice to meet different chefs.

Accor runs very few UK events via this platform so it isn’t a realistic route for spending large amounts of points. That said, I am sitting on the points I earned at Fairmont Barbados last October in the hope that I can use them over time for Accor Experiences events.

How low can value go on the downside?

2.0 Eurocents

There is never a bad day to redeem Accor Live Limitless points. You will receive 2 Eurocents per point everywhere, on every day.

Some people clearly value this level of certainty or Accor would not continue offering it. If you are reading this website, however, I imagine that you are the sort of person who wants to maximise their returns via a higher than usual ‘pence per point’ redemption. Accor Live Limitless is not the programme for you.

Sofitel Heathrow Accor

If Accor Live Limitless devalues hugely tomorrow, what is my escape route?

This is our floor price. What can you do with your points if Accor Live Limitless devalues massively overnight? It could, with very little IT trouble, change the rate from 2 Eurocents per point to 1.5 Eurocents or worse.

With Accor Live Limitless, the best value is to convert your points to airline miles.

What is confusing about Accor is that there are generally two different rates used for converting to airline miles. Some programmes convert at 2:1 whilst others convert at 1:1.

Even more confusing is that:

• Accor to Iberia Plus Avios is 1:1 but
  • Accor to British Airways Executive Club Avios is 2:1

If you are converting Accor Live Limitless points to Avios, send them to an Iberia Plus account and use ‘Combine My Avios’ – explained here – to move them to British Airways Executive Club. You will double the Avios you receive.

Head for Points values airline miles at 1p, for simplicity.

This means that, converting Accor Live Limitless points to Iberia Plus Avios, you are getting 1p (1.18 Eurocents) per Accor point. You are losing 40% of their value compared to redeeming for a hotel room.

Looked at from the other direction, you are ‘paying’ 1.72p per Avios, which is too high.

If your preferred airline partner has a 2:1 conversion rate from Accor, moving Accor points to miles is a terrible deal. You are giving up 4 Eurocents (3.45p) of hotel room for every airline mile you receive.

In summary …. what do we think Accor Live Limitless points are worth?

• on average: 2.0 Eurocents (1.72p) per point – this isn’t an estimate, it is a fact
  • on a very good day: 2.0 Eurocents per point unless you get lucky with an Accor Experiences event ticket
  • on a bad day: 2.0 Eurocents per point
  • if you transfer out in a worse case scenario: 0.5p or 1p per Accor point, depending on the transfer rate to your preferred frequent flyer programme

The bottom line with Accor Live Limitless is that there is no point saving up for a bumper redemption at a luxury resort because revenue-based pricing makes those rewards no better value than your local Novotel.

As soon as your balance reaches 2,000 points, you should pull the trigger and redeem for a €40 discount on your next booking. There is no value in holding on unless you are in London and may redeem for an Accor Experiences event.

Accor Live Limitless update – December 2022:

Earn bonus Accor points: Accor is not currently running a global promotion

New to Accor Live Limitless?  Read our overview of Accor Live Limitless here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our analysis of what Accor Live Limitless points are worth is here.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from Accor and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (38)

• josh says:

1. Most importantly is that Accor elite benefits are minimal and acquiring status is very diifficult. A very UNIMPRESSIVE program. So most of my travel buddies and I have it on the DO NOT USE list. Marrott, hilton, hyatt are light years ahead in terms of elite beenfits.

2. Their points expire after 12 months and extension possibiities without hotel stay limited. Very important as you can only use points in increments of 20k so very easy to lose them.

• Rob says:

Increments of 2k.

New rules mean you just need activity and not a stay, so transferring some Avios across (via Qatar) would reset expiry.

• Mark says:

Increments of *2000 rather than 20000, that makes a big difference.

• Marcw says:

I did well with my Silver status and free drinks during Happy Mondays.
      Some impressive upgrades in Asia with Gold.

• ChrisC says:

It’s only unimpressive if you value status and some freebies.

A lot of people outside of the HfP world would rather some direct cash off their bill than have to look for availability of points redemptions and have to work out to 3 decimal places what sort of value they are getting by paying cash over points.

• Rob says:

The new ‘valid at time of booking’ Diamond suite upgrades are impressive, especially as now bookable online. Only snag is that they price it off a room 2-3 levels below a suite, rather than the base room, but still huge savings at the right hotels if you actually want a suite.

The €100 of food and beverage credit for hitting Diamond isn’t to be sniffed at either – it’s real money in your pocket.

• ChrisC says:

Yes but how many ordinary people actually hit diamond?

By ordinary I mean. People with a single annual holiday and perhaps a couple of weekends away as opposed to road warriors staying 2/3 nights a week almost every week of the year and spending the requisite amount as well as the qualifying nights targets.

• Rob says:

Me. Did it on a 5 night Barbados stay.

• ChrisC says:

But you’re not really an ordinary traveller are you though?

And if I remember the article you benefitted from a reduced target to achieve, was able to credit more than one room to your account and did something else on top.

• Rob says:

Two rooms on a reduced threshold, yes. But it’s not as if the threshold was reduced exclusively for me! Diamond is £10,000 of spending normally – impossibly via Ibis Rotherham East, doable in 5-6 days at Raffles Dubai The Palm if you take two rooms.

• Tony1 says:

Having had Platinum Accor for many years, IMHO it is the “sweet spot”. Diamond is not that beneficial. You get lounge access, free breakfast and good upgrades in Asia ( ok not so much elsewhere ).

Think it is about £5000 spends a year ( or 60 nights – even in some Ibis Budget )

Holding the status has helped in a few situations over the years.

• Tom says:

Good point Rob, I had forgotten about the F/B credit. Although you have to ask for it and, when I did that, it extended my check-out time by about 10 minutes, which was annoying.

• Michael C says:

Agree with the @ChrisC cash aspects. I don’t “collect” the points, but as we have a yearly Novotel stay in Nice, if there’s the odd €20/€40 to knock off the bill, fine by me!

• Josh says:

The “freebies” We get at Marriott or hyatt incl suite upgrade. Exec lounge access. Breakfast. Early check-in and late check. oAre conservatively worth well north of usd 150.. Per night. Even without the points you get. And the points a very simple to use to book

• jj says:

@josh, for the many HfPers who live outside London but frequently fly with BA, Accor status is almost guaranteed. The Sofitel is by far the easiest place to stay and park for TT, and parking and meals are included in the status spend.

Two overnight stays with a week’s with parking and a good evening meal would probably deliver Silver, and 4-5 stays Gold. For that reason I always have Accor status as an unintended side-effect of flying.

• memesweeper says:

Have you considered what you would have got back booking the same hotel through an OTA? It’s regularly heavily discounted on priceline and lastminute.com, and when it isn’t the return on a hotels.com booking is likely to be better. I never book direct with Accor — it’s just not worth it.

• marcw says:

It’s also worth asking the hotel directly whether they are happy matching a price you have seen on XYZ. On my recent Thailand trip, SO/ Bangkok and Banyan Tree Bangkok were happy matching LuxuryEscapes and OTA price (about 50% discount compared to booking via Accor web).

• Rob says:

Sofitel seems to have gone from lastminute.com

• Tom says:

Yeah, Diamond Accor status isn’t much better than Silver, which gets you a free drink and usually an upgrade. Few Accord hotels have an executive lounge like Hiltons etc. And Diamond still only gets you a free breakfast on a weekend.

Not worth going out of your way to get more than Accor Silver in my experience.

• TJones says:

Executive lounge access and complimentary breakfast in Asia Pacific for Platinum is enough for me.

• Tom says:

In Asia maybe. But in Europe probably only a Fairmont or a Sofitel will have suites to upgrade to or executive lounges. And there aren’t ,many of either. Most cities have a Mercure and/or a Novotel.

Whereas with Hilton even some DoubleTrees have them. Personally I think anything above Accor Silver is a waste versus Hilton, Hyatt etc. And I say that as an Accor Diamond.

• John says:

I’ve always used hotels.com for Accor as I haven’t stayed with them much. But in the future I may need to travel to places where there are lots of Accors and few Hiltons. At what point might using ALL become more worthwhile?

• memesweeper says:

According to my maths, it’s never worth it. Be interested if there’s a break-even with high status where it becomes worthwhile booking direct and collecting ALL.

• Tom says:

I have had every Accor status from basic to Diamond. Silver gets you most of what is worth getting (upgrades, early/ate checkin/out, free drink).

2 or 3 times a year Accor does a promotion where you get 6,000 bonus points with three 2-night stays. Those can work out OK.

• Tom says:

Perhaps but hotels.com effectively gives you 10% off every booking with their Reward thing. And prices can be cheaper if they pre-bought rooms and/or are having a promotion.

But you wont get ALL points if you get hotels.com Rewards.

• John says:

An Accor point is worth less than 2 cents. It’s perhaps 1.7 or 1.8 cents for the average user. A bit less if you have top-tier or second-tier status.

It yields to a contradiction if you value them at two cents. Because you do earn on cash stays. Those points earned on a cash stay would have to be worth 0 for the math to hold, contradicting the claim that a point is worth 2 cents

• Alan says:

Agree – I appreciate this is a series but the format didn’t really work given the fixed value and the accrual side should have been taken into account too.

• Tom says:

True but you have to use those points eventually, and so the argument not to use them rather falls over at that point.

I think Rob is correct – burn them as soon as you to 2,000.

• Tony1 says:

Your “best” redemption plan is to burn at the lower end ( Ibis etc ) and earn at the higher end ( Sofitel etc ) if you have status.

Also for about £60 you can “game” the system to buy yourself Accor Gold from the Ibis Card. If you have a few stays in Asia or high end Accor it is worth the investment both in returned points from the stay and the potential of room upgrades.

• Rob says:

… which indeed is what I did. Got a 2.5x return on the £69 I paid for Ibis Business because of the points bonus it triggered on my Barbados stay.

• Richie says:

My basic Limitless membership might have been a factor in a recent free 2pm Novotel check-out, which on a scorching hot day was appreciated.

• 1nfrequent says:

I absolutely get why people are critical of Accor and if you have other options then that’s great but having been forced to use it in an old job (all hotel bookings were with Accor if there wasn’t a Premier Inn – usually Novotels or Ibis hotels but the occasional Mercure), I’ve actually been pretty happy with it and usually make an effort to maintain Gold (which doesn’t require a huge amount of spend). I’ve had an 80% hit rate on upgrades, about 95% on late check out and 90% on early check in (Ibis tends to be the worst for early check in). Staff are generally friendly, I like the Novotels because although they’re business bland they are consistent and the locations of Accor hotels usually work for me. The only brand I’m not keen on is Mercure because they are so hit and miss (and when they miss, oh boy do they miss).

I do better with Accor than I do as a Platinum with IHG and although I have Gold status with Marriott they don’t have the hotels in the areas I generally need (and when they do, the price point can be a bit eye watering).

Obviously, I’m not saying that it will work for everyone but I’m putting it out there because I don’t think the programme is an awful one and while it’s very difficult to hit top status, I managed to get Platinum last year through a mix of business and personal trips and it’s paid off for me.

1F

• marcw says:

I agree. My experience being Silver (when I started this hobby, back during the Happy Mondays) and Gold, have always been grate.
      There are other pluses, like being able to earn Flying Blue miles on stays (and vice versa) – which can be quite handy as well.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Everytime this article appears I wonder why it’s so wordy. You could just put in a paragraph that points are worth a fixed two cents on hotels and if you want to convert to Avios then send them via Iberia

• Rob says:

Because it has to fit in with the format of the other five articles!

Last time I put Accor at the end so it made more sense if you’d read the other five but this year I am going in alphabetical order.

• Peter Walker says:

It’s the expiration of points that gets me