Yes, you read that right.
Barclaycard and Barclays have just launched what are, easily, the richest Avios promotional deals we have ever seen. If you only respond to one Avios-collecting offer this year, make it this one.
Full details are on the Barclays website here. I strongly recommend reading the information there alongside our article below.
The offer ends on 30th November 2022.
This is a complex offer so we’ve broken it up into four articles:
- Get 100,000 bonus Avios for getting the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card and joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards
- Got the free Barclaycard Avios credit card? Get 100,000 Avios for upgrading and joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards
- Got Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards? Get 100,000 bonus Avios for adding the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card
…. plus the one you’re currently reading:
- Got the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card? Get 100,000 bonus Avios for joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards
One of these articles should be appropriate for your circumstances.
Only continue reading this article if you have a Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card (the £20 per month version) but have not yet applied for Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards.
Get 100,000 Avios for joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards
If you are a Barclaycard Avios Plus cardholder, this is a truly exceptional offer. You are being offered 100,000 Avios – which is worth, in the worst case scenario that you turn it into Nectar points, £800 – for joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards (£12 monthly fee, please see terms and conditions below).
The 100,000 Avios bonus is on top of the standard bonus for joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards. This will be either 2,500 or 25,000 Avios depending on whether you are an existing or new Barclays current account holder.
You need to keep both Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards and your Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card for four months, starting from the date you open Barclays Avios Rewards. Eligibility and T&Cs apply.
Barclays Avios Rewards terms and conditions
Here are some key things to note about Premier Banking and Barclays Avios Rewards:
- You can opt in to Barclays Avios Rewards if you’re a Premier Banking or Wealth customer with a personal current account with Barclays – you’ll need to register for the Barclays app and have a British Airways Executive Club account too
- There’s a £12 monthly fee and you have to opt out of Barclays Blue Rewards and go paperless for all your accounts and services.
- To access Barclays Avios Rewards in the Barclays app, you need to be over 18.
- To join and remain eligible for Premier Banking for free you need to have an income of £75,000 or more paid into a Barclays current account or at least £100,000 invested with Barclays. T&Cs apply.
Full details of the offer are here.
How does the 100,000 bonus Avios offer for joining Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards work?
Here are the key details:
- you need to be an existing Barclaycard Avios Plus cardholder
- you need to activate Barclays Avios Rewards – it costs £12 per month but comes with 1,500 Avios per month and a British Airways upgrade voucher* every 12 months
In return, you will receive:
From Barclays Avios Rewards:
- you’ll receive 25,000 Avios if Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards is the first current account you are opening with Barclays and you complete a full switch using the Current Account Switch Service within three months.
- if you have had an existing Barclays current account (not including Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards) for four months or more already, you’ll receive 2,500 Avios as a joining bonus
On top of the bonus above:
- you will receive an additional 100,000 Avios if you retain your Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card and your Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards account for at least four months
What are the benefits of Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards?
Even without the carrot of an additional 100,000 Avios bonus, Premier Banking – with the Barclays Avios Rewards add-on – is a good deal.
To join Barclays Premier Banking for free, you will need an income of £75,000+ OR at least £100,000 invested with Barclays.
Barclays Avios Rewards is the rewards scheme for Premier Banking and Wealth customers with a personal current account. It is the only way to collect Avios from a UK current account.
This is how it works:
- There is a £12 monthly fee for Barclays Avios Rewards
- You receive 1,500 Avios per month
- You receive a ‘cabin upgrade voucher*’ after 12 months (more details below)
What is important to remember about Barclays Avios Rewards is that – unlike a credit card reward – there is no spend requirement. Once you opt in to Barclays Avios Rewards you will receive monthly Avios and an annual BA upgrade voucher*.
If you join Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards and have a Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card, you could get two upgrade vouchers* each year – one from the credit card, if you meet the £10,000 annual spend target, and one from Barclays Avios Rewards. This would allow you to:
- upgrade a return flight, in both directions, for two people travelling together, or
- upgrade a flight in one direction for four people travelling together
This article is aimed at people who have the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card but have not yet joined Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards.
As an existing Barclaycard Avios Plus credit cardholder, you should find this a very attractive offer:
- You’ll receive 25,000 Avios if you’re opening your first current account with Barclays and complete a full switch using the Current Account Switcher Service within three months and switch on Barclays Avios Rewards
- Until 30th November, you will receive 100,000 Avios as an additional bonus for taking out Premier Banking with Barclays Avios Rewards and retaining it alongside your Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card for four months
The bonus for Barclays Avios Rewards is reduced to 2,500 Avios if you have an existing Barclays current account and are upgrading. You will still receive the 100,000 Avios bonus if you meet all of the other criteria. T&C apply. The offer ends on 30th November.
You can find out more, and apply, on this special page of the Barclays website.
NOTE: Whilst the application site is aimed at people who are new to Barclays, you will see that – once you start to apply – you are sent down a different track as an existing Barclaycard Avios Plus cardholder.
*Cabin upgrade vouchers must be used on Avios reward flight bookings. Reward flights and cabin upgrades are subject to availability. Taxes, fees and carrier charges per person apply. Additional terms and conditions apply to the use of the cabin upgrade voucher, please go to here for more information.
Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibly to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points. The site discusses products offered by lenders but is not a lender itself. Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as an independent credit broker.