The policy only applied to outbound flights from London, which wasn’t a lot of use because it would have meant a shorter trip away. You couldn’t change your return flight.
However, British Airways is now also offering rebooking for INBOUND flights to Heathrow due to the Border Force strikes. This could be a good way to extend your Christmas holiday if you fancy a few more days away.
Full details are on the BA travel trade website here.
Here is a summary of what is possible, but do check the official guidelines too:
- applies to flights to Heathrow only
- applies to short haul and long haul flights
- tickets must have been issued before 15th December
- applies to flights arriving on 23rd, 24th, 25th, 28th, 29th and 30th December
- you can rebook your flight for any date but changes beyond +/- 14 days require the same ticket sub-class to be available
- redemptions are included – it seems (TBC) that you can only move your ticket +/- 14 days unless Avios availability is available
- no refunds are allowed – only date changes
- changes may not be possible for free if non-BA flights are on your itinerary
If you want to change a flight it must be done by telephone, not via Manage My Booking, on 0800 727 800 from the UK or +44 203 250 0145 from abroad.
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (February 2023)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!
In February 2022, Barclaycard launched two exciting new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard cards with a bonus of up to 25,000 Avios. You can apply here.
You qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card:
There are two official British Airways American Express cards with attractive sign-up bonuses:
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 21st February 2023, the sign-up bonus on the British Airways Premium Plus American Express card is increased to 35,000 Avios from 25,000 Avios. You can apply here.
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points.
Run your own business?
We recommend Capital On Tap for limited companies. You earn 1 Avios per £1 which is impressive for a Visa card, along with a sign-up bonus worth 10,500 Avios.
You should also consider the British Airways Accelerating Business credit card. This is open to sole traders as well as limited companies and has a 30,000 Avios sign-up bonus.
There are also generous bonuses on the two American Express Business cards, with the points converting at 1:1 into Avios. These cards are open to sole traders as well as limited companies.
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.