News in brief:
Wizz-Air makes a big push into Turkey from London
We don’t cover Wizz-Air much on HfP, although we do have the infamous trip review from Rhys last year on his £1.79 all-in ticket. He survived the experience unscathed and with minimal damage to his wallet.
The airline has just launched a big push into Turkey which warrants a mention.
You will soon see:
- Antalya from London Gatwick – 4x weekly from 26th March
- Dalaman from London Gatwick – 4x weekly from 23rd May
- Istanbul from London Gatwick – daily from 28th March
- Istanbul from London Luton – daily from 28th March
Istanbul is not currently served from Luton, so this is a new route for the airport. Wizz will face competition on the Gatwick routes.
As well as the London routes above, Wizz is also launching flights into Turkey from other European bases, especially Budapest, as well as Abu Dhabi.
Fares start at £31 one way.
British Airways has quietly increased Hong Kong tier points
Yesterday we updated our list of British Airways tier points by route.
What we didn’t know at the time, although it is now corrected, is that British Airways has recently improved the tier points you earn when flying to Hong Kong.
The distance between Heathrow and Hong Kong has increased – in the BA system – from 5,979 miles to 6,004 miles.
This shifts it into the ultra-long haul tier point band and means that, for a one-way flight:
- Economy flights earn 20 / 40 / 80 tier points depending on flexibility (was 20 / 35 / 70)
- World Traveller Plus flights earn 100 tier points (was 90)
- Club World flights earn 160 tier points (was 140)
- First Class flights earn 240 tier points (was 210)