In response to a reader email, I wanted to look at whether you can transfer Club Eurostar points to a friend or family member.
A bit of background ….
Club Eurostar replaced Eurostar Frequent Traveller and Eurostar Plus Points almost six years ago.
We don’t give it much coverage on Head for Points, mainly because it doesn’t run many promotions and we are generally news-driven. It remains a good scheme, however, and I will occasionally make Membership Rewards transfers from American Express in order to redeem for a ticket.
Remember that free tickets with Club Eurostar are genuinely free – there are no taxes or charges to pay.
Plans to impose a £16 fee on redemptions to cover Eurostar’s track access charges were put on hold during the pandemic. This plan seem unlikely to come back, given that the programme will soon be replaced by a combined Eurostar / Thalys one.
This HfP article looks at what Club Eurostar points are worth.
How do you earn Club Eurostar points?
Club Eurostar is fully revenue based for earning, but not for redeeming.
For every £1 spent you earn 1 point. Tickets priced in € are converted to £. This is, in all cases, more generous than the previous Eurostar Frequent Traveller earning chart, especially for people on cheaper tickets.
To find out more about how to spend Club Eurostar points, whether on free tickets or by upgrading an existing ticket, read our full review of Club Eurostar here.
Can you transfer Club Eurostar points to someone else?
Yes you can.
Whilst Club Eurostar does not have family accounts, it has something even more flexible – points pooling. You can transfer points to anyone you want, although transfers inwards do not count towards status.
One reason to do this would be if your Club Eurostar points are approaching expiry. You need to earn points every 24 months to protect your balance.
Here are the rules:
- You can share a maximum of 3,000 points in one go
- You can share a maximum of 6,000 points in each calendar year
- You can share a maximum of 3,000 points with one member in each calendar year
- You can share points with a maximum of four people in each calendar year
- You can receive a maximum of 3,000 points in each calendar year
- Points have to be shared in multiples of 100
To transfer your points, simple log in at the Eurostar website and look for ‘points pooling’ in the Club Eurostar section.
You can confirm the details above in clause 8.2 of the Club Eurostar terms and conditions here.
How to get Club Eurostar points and lounge access from UK credit cards (December 2023)
Club Eurostar does not have a UK credit card. However, you can earn Club Eurostar points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
Cards earning Membership Rewards points include:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 1,333 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with four free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 2,000 Club Eurostar points. Card benefits include Eurostar lounge access.
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 666 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for life.
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 9th January 2024, you will receive 30,000 Membership Rewards points (convertible to 30,000 Avios) with American Express Preferred Rewards Gold. You receive 25,000 points if you spend £3,000 in three months and a further 5,000 points if you hold the card for 15 months. You can apply here.
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 9th January 2024, you will receive a huge 100,000 Membership Rewards points (convertible to 100,000 Avios) with The Platinum Card. You receive 75,000 points if you spend £10,000 in six months and a further 25,000 points if you hold the card for 15 months. You can apply here.
Membership Rewards points convert at 15:1 into Club Eurostar points which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, so you will get the equivalent of 1 Club Eurostar point for every £15 you spend.
American Express Platinum comes with a great Eurostar benefit – Eurostar lounge access!
You can enter any Eurostar lounge, irrespective of your ticket type, simply by showing The Platinum Card at the desk. No guests are allowed but you can get entry for your partner by issuing them with a free supplementary Amex Platinum card on your account.