Marriott Bonvoy has launched a new deal if you buy their hotel points.
Via this page of the website, you will get a bonus of up to 40% on all points purchases. There appear to be three versions of the offer, topping out at either 30%, 35% or 40%.
The minimum purchase to get the bonus is 2,000 points. The bonus is tapered.
This is what I got:
- 25% bonus when you buy 2,000–9,000 points
- 30% bonus when you buy 10,000–39,000 points
- 35% bonus when you buy 40,000–100,000 points
My wife got a poorer deal:
- 20% bonus when you buy 2,000–9,000 points
- 25% bonus when you buy 10,000–39,000 points
- 30% bonus when you buy 40,000–100,000 points
Some people will see a maximum bonus of 40%.
The annual purchase cap has now been permanently raised to 100,000 points. With the bonus, this means that you could pick up a maximum of 130,000 to 140,000 Marriott Bonvoy points.
Whatever your bonus, you will be paying more than my rule of thumb that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p.
However, you might find it worthwhile if:
- you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or
- you are close to 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points and want to make a transfer into airline miles (you get a bonus of 5,000 airline miles when you transfer 60,000 Bonvoy points into 20,000 airline miles in most programmes), or
- you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value
Outsize value is still possible, despite Marriott Bonvoy moving towards revenue-based redemptions. With no reward charts still available, however, you need to look at it on a case by case basis. I recently saw the Courtyard Oxford hotel at 20,000 points or £360, for example – a whopping 1.8p per point.
The page to buy is here. The offer runs to 8th September.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status from UK credit cards (September 2023)
There are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
The official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card comes with 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points for every £1 you spend and 15 elite night credits per year.
You can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points by converting American Express Membership Rewards points at the rate of 2:3.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American Express Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (10,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
The conversion rate from American Express to Marriott Bonvoy points is 2:3.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)