Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Downgrade via app – “no options available” Reply To: Downgrade via app – “no options available”

ed_fly 229 posts

If you honestly believe that Barclaycard want people to sign up receive £300 worth of Avios + however much you value the upgrade voucher at, in return for a few monthly payments of £20 then I don’t know what to say.

Most likely Rob insisted on adding it to the articles as he would have highlighted the strategy for any Amex card.

If people don’t like the card and can’t downgrade then just close the account down.

No, of course they don’t “want” people to do that, but like most businesses I imagine they know the small minority taking this course of action will be far outweighed by those who don’t want to/can’t be bothered, so they accept it.

The point is the card was promoted with the ability to easily downgrade as a feature, so many readers of this site will have taken out the card with that expectation. If I can’t downgrade once I hit the spend target then the card will be getting cancelled. It’s makes no sense to continue paying £20 per month when there is no further benefit.

It is simply nonsense to suggest the Avios Plus card was ‘promoted’ with “the ability to easily downgrade as a feature” [your split infinitive, not mine]. If the card was not suitable for you on an ongoing basis, you should not have applied for it in the first place. You are ultimately responsible for choosing the products you apply for and confirming you have read the T&Cs, none of which have any mention of downgrading. If you were just there to grab a freebie, well done for marking your card with Barclays in respect of any other products.

t&c’s don’t mention downgrading. T&c’s do say “This agreement has no fixed term. This means it will continue until you or we decide to close your account.” In terms of ‘downgrading’ this is not something Barclays advertise. However they do advertise on their website card switching “Can I switch between the Barclaycard Avios and Barclaycard Avios Plus cards?
You can check if you’re eligible to change from one Barclaycard Avios card to another in the Barclays or Barclaycard app5. Any money spent on your existing Barclaycard Avios card won’t count toward your spending targets for extra rewards. You won’t receive a second welcome bonus.” Obviously they’re under no obligation to let you do so. But it was, and is, promoted with the clear potential that switching between products is possible.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 5 months ago by .

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.