Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Downgrade via app – “no options available”

• Olly 242 posts

Just tried to downgrade via the app after hitting the targets and having the voucher issued.

Clicked through the process only to be presented with a final screen showing “no options available”. Has anyone else managed it?

I’ll see if I have any more luck via the call centre. Not holding my breath…

rum 275 posts

Yes, I’ve noticed this too. I wonder if they’ve designed it so there is a minimum period required to hold one card before to switching to the other one… Of course if that’s the case they’ve not told anyone.

Youllnever 182 posts

I was never able to get the switch card feature to show any options on my previous 3 year old card. You might need to cancel and reapply for the free Avios card instead.

points_worrier 295 posts

It is unclear whether this is a deliberate ploy to stop you upgrading/downgrading at will, or just rubbish IT striking again…

SamG 1,644 posts

I made a mistake on my application (went for free instead of plus – doh!) and they said it would take around six months for an option to change card to appear

smm 27 posts

@rob you state in your promotional article “Note that the fee is paid monthly and you can downgrade to the free card via the Barclaycard app at any point” – do you have that promised in writing by Barclays?

rum 275 posts

It is unclear whether this is a deliberate ploy to stop you upgrading/downgrading at will, or just rubbish IT striking again…

Yup, the smoke and mirrors tactics by Barclays are actually quite ingenious.

@rob you state in your promotional article “Note that the fee is paid monthly and you can downgrade to the free card via the Barclaycard app at any point” – do you have that promised in writing by Barclays?

Great question. Keen on hearing Rob’s answer.

2ilent8cho 17 posts

I’ve just had a look in the App under switch card and the only one it is offering is the free Avios Barclaycard.

harley 109 posts

Also not showing on my app, @rob are you able to investigate

Justin 41 posts

The downgrade option must be targeted as well.

I have the Barclaycard Avios Plus and just this second I checked the “Change to a different card” options via the app. Many cards have disappeared that were previously there prior to my move from Platinum to Avios Plus… HOWEVER, I do have a single card option which is to downgrade to the free Barclaycard Avios card.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    harley 109 posts

Mine still shows no cards available despite checking on different days so dont think i can put it down to IT. @olly Did you have much luck over the phone, i was hoping to downgrade in a couple weeks time

harley 109 posts

Still no options on the app, tried on desktop website but no change card section that seems to be on the app, called them they said you can only swap on the app and i told them its broken, they have referred to backend team to call me back. Changing the card is not as simple as advertised by hfp so slightly annoyed by this

smm 27 posts

@rob are you able to comment on this at all, we have asked before. Your article clearly stated downgrade was available and I think you said Barclays okayed your copy before you posted it. Everyone’s experience however is that Barclays think they get to tell you the customer what you can have and it’s entirely up to them, there is a very 1950s-esque attitude to their company where they think they are in charge and we the customer should be jolly grateful for what they offer, rather than them seeing themselves as there to meet customer desires wherever reasonably possible.

JDB 4,384 posts

@rob are you able to comment on this at all, we have asked before. Your article clearly stated downgrade was available and I think you said Barclays okayed your copy before you posted it. Everyone’s experience however is that Barclays think they get to tell you the customer what you can have and it’s entirely up to them, there is a very 1950s-esque attitude to their company where they think they are in charge and we the customer should be jolly grateful for what they offer, rather than them seeing themselves as there to meet customer desires wherever reasonably possible.

I’m quite sure that all the information Rob has published has been provided with the utmost good faith, so it is quite unreasonable to harangue him in respect of the execution over which he has no control. You are also asking, or rather rudely demanding, that he should put himself in the invidious position of highlighting to Barclays that some customers are wanting to cut and run after grabbing their welcome bonuses within weeks of launch. Probably not the calibre of customer they were hoping to attract. You need to contact the card provider, not the messenger.

smm 27 posts

@JDB I did not harangue: I politely asked him to comment because he might be able to. I do not blame @rob for anything, he has done a great job helping bring this product to the market. I thought it was pretty clear that after my polite request to rob the rest of my comment relates solely to our experience of Barclays. In any case I do not have either Avios card because Barclays won’t allow me to swap my Hilton to one, hence my general impression of their attitude being that they decide, not the customer, who gets what…

points_worrier 295 posts

@JDB I do not think @smm was being unreasonable, either in what they said, or the way they said it.

You must remember HfP is a FCA-regulated credit broker, and if promoting (and profiting off) these cards using any incorrect information, opens HfP up to regulatory action and/or claims for financial loss for people following any incorrect advice. It is therefore reasonable to urgently ascertain whether Rob is incorrect in the information given, or whether Barclaycard are incorrect in not offering the downgrade.

JDB 4,384 posts

@JDB I do not think @smm was being unreasonable, either in what they said, or the way they said it.

You must remember HfP is a FCA-regulated credit broker, and if promoting (and profiting off) these cards using any incorrect information, opens HfP up to regulatory action and/or claims for financial loss for people following any incorrect advice. It is therefore reasonable to urgently ascertain whether Rob is incorrect in the information given, or whether Barclaycard are incorrect in not offering the downgrade.

I’m not quite what financial loss claim you are suggesting would be possible since you can cancel the Plus card at any time and cease paying the monthly fee. If you are suggesting making a claim that I had to do that rather than downgrading to the free card so lost some Avios earning potential, well good luck with that.

In any event it’s up to the customer here to make sure the product is suitable for them and confirm that in the application process.

The original poster said “we have asked before” so he is pestering for an answer (as it turns out one that doesn’t even apply to him) that has in fact already been answered in various threads and other posters have in recent days said they are able to do the downgrade via the app.

smm 27 posts

FYI @JDB I asked once before, ten days ago, whilst deciding what advice to give Player 2 on which card they might apply for. Perhaps you could make fewer assumptions when replying.

Ruikis 8 posts

No option to downgrade with this awful card. Nothing on the App and I have also just been told I would not be able to downgrade for a while as I am a new customer. Trying to find out how long for – 3/6 months? I appreciate the sign-up Avios but this is such a bad deal for £20 a month.

Tom2 113 posts

Those wanting to downgrade immediately after hitting the spend target for the 25k Avios are the exact people that Barclaycard don’t want. Doesn’t surprise me that they aren’t making it easy for people.

Youllnever 182 posts

No option to downgrade with this awful card. Nothing on the App and I have also just been told I would not be able to downgrade for a while as I am a new customer. Trying to find out how long for – 3/6 months? I appreciate the sign-up Avios but this is such a bad deal for £20 a month.

Someone (can’t remember who) said a minimum of 6 months.

ed_fly 211 posts

if downgrade is not an option, then could cancel all together? Though surely that’s not what Barclays would want?

JDB 4,384 posts

if downgrade is not an option, then could cancel all together? Though surely that’s not what Barclays would want?

If someone is downgrading after just grabbing the welcome bonus then yes, they would probably prefer to say goodbye. Why would any financial organisation want that sort of customer?

Ruikis 8 posts

I am not downgrading for this reason. But I appreciate all of you defending Barclays I am sure they will greatly appreciate you standing up for them.

Tom2 113 posts

So what is the reason for downgrading then? Have you had the 25k Avios bonus?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.