Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 100ml liquids rule back in effect at all UK airports

• OldFashioned 50 posts

I couldn’t see anything posted here, but thought worth saying that the 100ml rule is back from Sundays for all UK airports including LCY.

Apparently a short term rule, but equally no suggestion how long it will go on for.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,268 posts

See the chat thread.

qc 246 posts

LHR was not mentioned when I heard the news earlier.

zio 266 posts

But LHR never relaxed the 100ml rule anyway. Chat thread has links posted.

SteveJ 1,005 posts

Complete waste of a forum to have this info lost in the chat thread, posting the useful link here so the discussion is in one place

From BA f IHG s:

People really should post links. It prevents uninformed comments

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clmm97x3yvmo

“The change will apply from 00:01 BST on Sunday 9 June 2024 and will affect passengers at Newcastle, Leeds Bradford, London City, Aberdeen, Southend and Teesside airports.”

“Most UK airports, including London Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester, had kept the old rules in place anyway after not getting all their new scanners in place.”

PeteM 776 posts

At LHR T3 Fast Track (and I think T5 First Wing) did relax it – I took a litre of gin through the other week (they did call a manager to clear it, though)

I don’t think it was an official relaxation though as I don’t recall seeing any posters etc saying anything but the 100 ml rule.

This is due to the risk of losing the item if say the F wing was closed and you ended up having to go through a non new scanner lane.

The larger liquid amount only comes in when all lanes are converted. Hence why the likes of LHR were excluded from the DoT directive because they hadn’t officially changed over yet.

PeteM 776 posts

Imagine the “outlying” LHR lanes will have to comply too though? What a pain ☹️

TGLoyalty 659 posts

Yes all will have to comply.

@SteveJ
    exactly daily chat isn’t the place for things like this. Whole point of a forum is so you can discuss big stories and topics and easily refer back to them.

I actually think keeping the daily chat defeats the object of this forum

Yes all the old scanners will need to be – and are being – replaced with the CT style scanners.

And that’s the point when all the scanners have been done that the larger limit can officially come into place.

This post from FT has a note sent by HAL to staff

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36290963-post67.html

this part is applicable to passengeers

Colleagues are also reminded that although small cohorts of passengers have recently been able to make use of the relaxed liquid rules thanks to newly-installed upgraded security lanes, this will no longer be the case until further notice. All passengers must adhere to the 100ml restrictions regardless of the which lane are processed through, and any LAG bags must be placed separately in the trays. The usual exemptions for baby food/milk and liquid medicines still apply.

LAG = liquids, aerosols and gels

Ihar 194 posts

According to the BBC it’s due to “outstanding regulatory approval” which sounds exactly like the UK govt. But either they work or they don’t. Never understood the rule anyway, because if I can take 100ml of dodgy fluid I can take 3x100ml and so can my dodgy friends…

If only some of the the scanners have been installed, they should say so and offer for passengers to queue (potentially a lot longer) for the new scanners. Or at the very least invite those carrying prescription medication over 100ml to use the scanners (otherwise each item must be swabbed/scanned separately). Same old SNAFU!

Gagravarr 71 posts

On FlyerTalk, it was suggested the Birmingham couldn’t cope with the level of rejections to secondary screening:
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36290912-post60.html

TGLoyalty 659 posts

BHX never formally relaxed their 100ml rule even when all the new scanners were in at the end of May and the “awaiting regulatory approval” line was specifically from a BHX press release about their own scanners so strange comment

NorthernLass 8,270 posts

The Manchester Evening News announced recently to much rejoicing that the 100 ml limits were finally being scrapped, so expect a summer of chaos at MAN as pax who didn’t see the correction article turn up with full-size toiletries and bottles of booze 🤦‍♀️

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.