Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice 1st time in Bangkok

• LB 26 posts

Looking for some recommendations for our first trip to Bangkok in February/March. We’re staying for five days and would like to explore but there are too many small group/individual tour companies to choose from.
    Has anyone used a tour provider they could recommend for day trips or half day city tours etc.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

Richie 986 posts

My first thought is 5 nights is quite a long time, if you are ok with say spending half a day relaxing by the hotel pool, then make sure you pick a hotel with a good pool and the opportunity for roof top sunset dinner/drinks.

memesweeper 1,252 posts

You say “our” — what is your group? Young lads? Couple? Family?

I’ve been to Bangkok several times, always stopping off on the way somewhere else and always saying “never again”… and then going back. I might be there for work this year.

Chatuchak Market is completely mad, and you should go (even with young kids) if your stopover spans when it is open. Yes, it’s a tourist cliche to do it, but do it.

Golden Buddha also worth a morning of your time whatever your age and interests.

If you have children a ride on a tuk tuk — offer to pay extra if the driver is fast as you are “in a hurry” — will be something they talk about when the rest of the holiday is forgotten. Way better than a theme park ride.

LB 26 posts

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    Me and my other half.
    Good tips so far…

yorkshireRich 187 posts

Like people have said, 5 days is quite excessive. I love Bangkok but would never dream of staying for 5 nights. Have you looked at Hua Hin?
    Do you plan on visiting any other areas of Thailand?

John 1,000 posts

You really don’t need a tour company if you are just staying in Bangkok. But choose your hotel to be located as close as possible to where you want to be most of the time.

LB 26 posts

We’re moving onto Hua Hin next. Maybe we could travel further from Bangkok if 5 days is pushing it.

SamG 1,643 posts

I’ve used Tour with Tong

Make sure you’ve picked a hotel with a nice pool area. I personally don’t think 5 days is too silly for Bangkok, you can build a nice lazy schedule built around lots of food!

SamG 1,643 posts

Oops just saw Richie posted the same thing 😂 great minds think alike

BJ 657 posts

I strongly disagree that 5 nights (4 days) in Bangkok is too long. There is plenty to do and while Tour With Tong is highly regarded I echo John’s advice, no point touring what you can do by yourself. Five days allow for a mire relaxed visit as Sam points out. Combibe backpacker Street with Royal Palace and big Buddha on same trip. If you and/or OH are into shopping then nowhere in the world beats Bangkok. Make a day of it contrasting the different types of malls (compare MBK with Paragon, Icon, Central Embassy and Terminal 21), weekend market and night markets. I also believe Bangkok is the best place in the world for food. Suggest join a streetfood tour but also take opportunity to visit what Thais call food centres (food courts) in malls and supermarkets. If your really into food join a short cooking class. Don’t miss Lumpini Park, especially around 5-7pm when the local Thais and expats come out to relax and exercise. Take a trip on the river, just use river bus, a tour is not necessary. Time this for day and night views combining with a visit to Asiatique night market (the mango and banana pancake stall here is the best I’ve tried in Thailand but they sell out quick so need to be there between 6.30-8pm). There are also many day tours out of Bangkok which you could explore with Tours with Tong to find those appealing to you most.However, I would recommend paying a bit extra for private tour with driver guide than van tour. Make it clear to them no factory, shop tours etc.

Gavin454 159 posts

If you have children a ride on a tuk tuk — offer to pay extra if the driver is fast as you are “in a hurry” — will be something they talk about when the rest of the holiday is forgotten. Way better than a theme park ride.

…but also much more dangerous!! I barely feel comfortable taking myself on a tuktuk ride, I don’t think I’d take children.

Jon 268 posts

I haven’t done it myself, but I’ve heard that the old capital Ayutthaya can be visited as a day trip from Bangkok and is apparently well worth it. I don’t know any specific recommended tours – I tend to prefer just turning up to places and going for a wander… 😉 I know it can be done by train, bus or taxi.

Otherwise, all the usual tourist stuff aside, I’d pop down to the Mandarin Oriental (assuming you’re not already staying there!) in late afternoon / early evening for drinks on the terrace by the river, then after dark take the hotel boat over to Sala Rim Naam for dinner (sit outside if weather permits (go when it does); their Miang Kham is an excellent).

You could perhaps precede those two with an afternoon at the market in Chinatown and then the Grand Palace, then take a longtail boat down the river to Oriental Pier – an experience that will likely leave you ready for a stiff drink or three 😉

+1 for a mad-dash tuk tuk ride (with or without children!)

The Streets 41 posts

Has anyone used their Amex Platinum dining credit in Bangkok and have any recommendations

captaindave 113 posts

Has anyone used their Amex Platinum dining credit in Bangkok and have any recommendations

We treated our son and his fiancee to a meal at the Blue Elephant restaurant, we all thought it was very good ( but we are not “high-end” diners ) for 4 of us and a toddler it was around £180 with drinks. They also run a cooking school there.

When we got back to UK, i was looking through the Amex Plat dining deal, and noticed the B.E was listed ( didnt end up applying for the amex plat anyway )

SamG 1,643 posts

@BJ – indeed, our main reason for using Tour with Tong on that trip is we were on a tight schedule and wanted a van . But actually we did really enjoy having a tour guide for The Grand Palace etc. But places like Chatuchak or Asiatique are easily reached on the train / boat and I’ve spent many a weekend in Bangkok without one

@LB
    – download the Grab app – good for calling cabs, food etc

Michael C 671 posts

5 days?! 5 months more like!!! We’ve been doing the BKK-Hua Hin combo for
    years (as in, decades) and think you’ve chosen a good split.

Just to reinforce the mentions of others:
    -Ayutthaya can indeed be done in a day, and is stunning.
    -Chatuchak is indeed essential, and is basically one of your five days! Back to hotel
    for shower/happy hour/food: perfect.
    -Side-street wandering + massage at a chosen destination.
    -Plan a whole Sunday around a jaw-dropping hotel champagne brunch.
    Mandarin Oriental dinner with Thai dancing? Muay Thai event? Simnple
    boat trip up and down the river saoking in the atmos.?

*sigh* !!

JDB 4,369 posts

@BJ – indeed, our main reason for using Tour with Tong on that trip is we were on a tight schedule and wanted a van . But actually we did really enjoy having a tour guide for The Grand Palace etc. But places like Chatuchak or Asiatique are easily reached on the train / boat and I’ve spent many a weekend in Bangkok without one

@LB
    – download the Grab app – good for calling cabs, food etc

For us, having a guide complete transforms a trip. For the first time visiting any big city, a guide can show and tell you so much as well as giving a good orientation tour for future reference. Also, if you are visiting big temple complexes, palaces, archaeological sites etc. having someone who can tell you the history and what it all means really brings the place alive rather than just staring at something exotic, plus they often bypass queues, avoid the crowds and take you to parts you would never otherwise see. If you have a good guide you also get to find out much more about the people, their culture and real life in the country which for us is much of the point of travelling. Yes, it may not be cheap but it’s a total bargain if it upgrades your trip which it will.

Oh, and yes, five days in Bangkok is just the start!

LB 26 posts

Great suggestions. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

captaindave 113 posts

If you are into footy, a good way to fill a day is take in a Thai Premier league game – we went to Port FC v Lampang.

Lampang had been promoted to the TPL, and had a happy band of fans who had made the 10 hour trip. Port FC are based towards outskirts of BK, decent stadium, £2 to get in, sit pretty much anywhere. £5 for 3 pints before the game, and they ink-stamp your arm going into stadium, so you can go out and get a beer or 2 at half time as well.. plenty of folks selling street food as well.
    Decent club shop for souvenirs, replica shirts etc.

Hbommie 192 posts

I echo the sentiments from BJ and Michael C, great place. We go every year (barring covid) and used to split Bangkok with a beach but now we get as far as BKK and just stick, staying in a good hotel with a nice pool area and there are many many to choose from. If you stay on the river it’ll give a different aspect rather than just a city break.

Grab is an option and the MRT is good (2 systems) and use the river as has been said before, you won’t regret it.

Temples aplenty to prick the cultural side, beautiful. The best food on the planet. The best hotel on the planet (Mandarin Oriental), streetfood and beverage places to keep the cost down, swish cocktail bars (Bkk social and Bamboo bar) to wear your posh frock. Enjoy!

Hua Hin is a good choice.

JenT 149 posts

Another recommendation for Ayutthaya – no tour guide needed and you can get the train there and back for a very small amount of money. We took the Lonely Planet with us and just read the bits for each area as we got there.

The only tours we have done in Bangkok that were worth it was a night temple tuk tuk tour (for fun rather than any huge cultural significance) and a daytime bike tour through the klongs.

Plenty to do in 5 days and you definitely won’t be bored.

Carlos_Fandango 14 posts

For dining, try “Paste”. Michelin rated and part of the Amex Platinum Dining credits.

Aston100 1,388 posts

I honestly can’t believe there are people who think 5 days is too long for Bangkok.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.