Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• ianwardz 42 posts

Am I correct that BA only fly outside of the UK from London.
    So, for those of us Up North, we can only use a 241 if we get to London by some method or if its a new 241, we find flights from somewhere in Europe and position ourselves there instead.

AJA 1,060 posts

The majority of BA flights are from London airports, particularly longhaul, but you can redeem 2-4-1s on European flights on BA Cityflyer and they operate a number of European flights out of UK regional airports. And you can use the 2-4-1 to start in places like NCL, MAN INV or JER flying via LHR connecting to longhaul flights (the latter two especially beneficial for the very low or zero APD)

masaccio 719 posts

FlightConnections.com says Manchester to LHR/LGW plus some limited flights to Cambridge and Billund, Denmark. Edinburgh is a little better but now much in that it’s UK and mainland Europe and then not many flights.

You basically have to get to London though there have been a fair few cases recently where people flying redemptions have been bumped onto flights with a result of a very long layover.

Depending upon how far north you are, I’d be tempted to drive, especially for LHR.

Scott 240 posts

Just in case you’re not aware, you can use your 241 to fly from your local airport to connect in LON (assuming it operates flights to LON) and then onto your final destination.
    Domestic connections are ‘free’ for international Avios flights (no extra Avios reqd, but there is an additional cash surcharge.)

NorthernLass 7,467 posts

@Scott and OP – it’s only on long haul where you don’t pay any avios for the domestic connection. On short haul (RFS) you pay the full fare for both legs, making it poor value for a redemption as well as a lot of hassle compared to a direct flight, even on a LCC!

The best value IMO is to use the 241 to go somewhere there simply isn’t a direct option for from your local airport, so you’d have to go via London or another European city anyway. This is relatively easy from MAN, which has no direct flights to a huge number of destinations including a lot of US cities! So my most recent redemptions have been to GCM, BOS, IAD and LAS. But MRU, MIA, LAX and MLE are other options.

We’ve only ever driven to LHR once, due to time constraints (the prospect of driving home after an overnight long haul then going to work the next day would be soul-destroying!) but would definitely consider it now we have more leisure time, and also to LGW as even though there is now a MAN-LGW shuttle I think it’s once a day at 7 am!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.