Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic 2nd year of Virgin Reward+ – is it worth it?

• Aliks 68 posts

I’ve had the Reward+ card for a year now, and I’m looking to cancel as I have too many vouchers to use up in the next 12 months.

In fact my anniversary was yesterday, and Virgin have already put the £160 annual fee onto my statement. Given that I have not used the card yet in the new year, can I cancel without penalty?

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Take a look at this article from earlier this year – you may get a refund but be prepared for a fight!

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/03/09/virgin-credit-cards-annual-fee-appeal/

Amy C 372 posts

They are very much not in my good books presently. I have two vouchers currently. Wanted to cancel before they charged me £160 again in October but they owe me a voucher for this year and have so far refused to issue it! So I’ve had to pay the £160 while I take them to the ombudsman and Resover! 🤬

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I’ve had the Reward+ card for a year now, and I’m looking to cancel as I have too many vouchers to use up in the next 12 months.

The earning rate on the card is still pretty good, but can it be worth the annual fee unless you have a high credit limit, and a consistent, year round, high card turnover, and a need for the voucher?

As I’ve got two other decent earning non-Amex cards – from HSBC and Barclays/Hilton — I’m going to cancel the Virgin Atlantic card until I’ve used the voucher I hold. I don’t need another. I can always come back if/when I cancel the HSBC card. In fact, if neither HSBC nor Virgin change their earning rates or sign up rules, I can see me flip/flopping between them indefinitely.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

One other factor — I’ve no status with, and rarely fly on business, Virgin. If that changed I’d keep the card indefinitely.

Aliks 68 posts

Outcome: no fighting required. I had not used the card since the anniversary date, so they just refunded the £160 renewal cost and cancelled the card

ChasP 162 posts

Not for me – already got 3 vouchers – wonder how many are out there and will we ever be able to redeem given the rarity of UC redemptions

Also worth remembering that you only need to wait 6 months before re-applying and perhaps there will be another good signup bonus next year ?

Carlos 758 posts

Not for me – already got 3 vouchers – wonder how many are out there and will we ever be able to redeem given the rarity of UC redemptions

Also worth remembering that you only need to wait 6 months before re-applying and perhaps there will be another good signup bonus next year ?

I dont think their decent sign up bonus will return

MarkSX 11 posts

Am I free to cancel the Virgin Reward+ once I get the voucher? I don’t want to renew it and have no usage for the card (have many others to use)

Joecooljoe 49 posts

Can you downgrade to the free card or do you have to wait the 6 months to reapply? I don’t think I can justify the second year, but the free card is still pretty good…

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

How bad is UC award seat availability? Any routes particularly easy to find a seat?

ChasP 162 posts

UC reward availability
    Unlike Avios there is no guaranteed minimum reward seats on each flight
    Seats to well served locations eg New York, Boston, SFO are a bit easier but currently the availability is not great due to the number of vouchers out there

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.