Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios 3DS issues

• SussexBantam 12 posts

Is anyone else having issues using 3DS with their card ?

Ordinary transactions work fine but anything that needs 3DS fails. The pop up box appears but then instantly disappears and the transaction fails. I can see a pending transaction for £0.00 on my statement.

Chat is being unhelpful as ever.

Any clues ?

CarpalTravel 361 posts

You’ll have to wait for the other person who has their card to come along….

stevenhp1987 330 posts

3DS was fine for me a couple day ago.

Paid some council tax with it.

Could always use it behind bendy and use their 3DS if it continues to not work?

SussexBantam 12 posts

3DS was fine for me a couple day ago.

Paid some council tax with it.

Could always use it behind bendy and use their 3DS if it continues to not work?

Thanks – trying not to use it with Bendy after the IHG fiasco but might have to resort to that…

BA-Flyer 25 posts

Same issue here, but Barclays think my card is a business account (it isn’t). Can’t speak to anyone in a position to help – they keep trying to refer me to the business line.

hugo r 279 posts

Tried to use card to pay for parking permit (through our local council ) declined they use 3DS

FatherOfFour 276 posts

Online to an advisor now about the same… no clues, gone to speak to an “expert”

Chas 143 posts

I’ve had similar issues with my new Barclaycard Avios card today. I thought it was a new card specific issue, and have had numerous calls with various fraud agents today trying to get it resolved. It seems that a change to 3DS came into effect yesterday, and lots of major retailers haven’t fully updated their systems yet. He warned me to expect lots of declines for on-line purchases over the next few days.

Kentish Man 6 posts

Managed to do one payment online that worked. Lots of others declined. One payment with details taken over the phone worked too.
    Have spoken to Barclaycard twice and have been assured both times it had been fixed so not sure what else to do.

Aston100 1,383 posts

Unable to pay my energy bill with the new Avios card, getting declined.
    Used it behind Curve and it seems to have worked.

So is the issue with just the Avios Barclaycard then?

rum 275 posts

Of all the issues we are having, it looks like there is no immediate workaround for 3DS and no one has been told that this is even recognised as an issue on Barclays’ end

Lady London 2,030 posts

Perhaps as a new card it could have a subtype coded into its number that’s not yet been uploaded into 3DS systems.

Kentish Man 6 posts

Perhaps as a new card it could have a subtype coded into its number that’s not yet been uploaded into 3DS systems.

Possible – one of the agents I spoke to today said the overall card numbers are different to all previous Barclaycards.

rum 275 posts

Possible – one of the agents I spoke to today said the overall card numbers are different to all previous Barclaycards.

Yup, it’s because previous cards were VISA, new cards are MasterCard.

DTR 105 posts

Issues here too. Card worked yesterday, not working today. Seems to be 3DS. Barclays CS said I need to wait 6 calendar days until they can send me approval codes to my phone (and the other routes apparently won’t work either).

By the time this card actually works I’ll have paid for an entire month!!

KiteFlyer 14 posts

3DS not working for tesco online for me..

Ryan 23 posts

3DS not working at all for me. At this rate I’ll struggle to spend the £3k for the welcome bonus.

Aston100 1,383 posts

Remember, some places might let you do it over the phone (council tax for example) and others you can do it from behind Curve.

MichaelR 37 posts

Remember, some places might let you do it over the phone (council tax for example) and others you can do it from behind Curve.

I think you may be the only person who’s gotten it to work with Curve. Fails verification every time for me (presumably linked to the general 3DS issue).

energyuk 3 posts

Got my card yesterday, have been waiting to do an upgrade on BA, downloaded app, activated card, then went to BA, like other reports BA errored as no 3DS link. Spoke to agent who said to use card first at a shop or cashpoint, tried to tell me to do a cash withdrawal! Back to BA and same issue, managed to link card to Curve straight away and payment successful with 3DS via Curve.
    Also wanted to link my card to Snoop, but no open banking setting on the Barclaycard app, so something else to wait for them to activate, also no online chat button yet either on app.
    Not a great experience so far.

dougzz99 626 posts

I’ve had similar issues with my new Barclaycard Avios card today. I thought it was a new card specific issue, and have had numerous calls with various fraud agents today trying to get it resolved. It seems that a change to 3DS came into effect yesterday, and lots of major retailers haven’t fully updated their systems yet. He warned me to expect lots of declines for on-line purchases over the next few days.

If this were true why would same transaction immediately work using another card? This is Barclay’s pretending it’s not their fault.

MariborKev 7 posts

It seems that a change to 3DS came into effect yesterday, and lots of major retailers haven’t fully updated their systems yet. He warned me to expect lots of declines for on-line purchases over the next few days.

Summary,

The UK rollout of Strong Customer Authentication(SCA), which is why you see 3DS – went to 100% in the UK on the 14/3.

[Disclaimer] Work in a payments role for a major retailer[/end Disclaimer]

The comment that retailers haven’t updated their systems is nonsense. We’ve had a project on this for several years(as it is pan European) and there have been ramp up steps for months. Visa and Mastercard have been having regular calls as the UK has ramped up to 100%.

If Baclarycard and/or their ACS providers didn’t get their act together for new BINs(the first 4/8 digits on your cards), that is on them – not the retailers. You will only see a 3DS challenge IF your bank forces it. As a retailer we can say “Okay, don’t challenge this customer, we will take the fraud liability”, and the bank can still reject that and force a challenge.

Yes, some retailers can force a challenge(which makes sense for large value purchases), but the display and handling of a challenge is managed by the ACS provider. There are clear guidance for how iFrames etc should be handled.

stevenhp1987 330 posts

It seems that a change to 3DS came into effect yesterday, and lots of major retailers haven’t fully updated their systems yet. He warned me to expect lots of declines for on-line purchases over the next few days.

Summary,

The UK rollout of Strong Customer Authentication(SCA), which is why you see 3DS – went to 100% in the UK on the 14/3.

[Disclaimer] Work in a payments role for a major retailer[/end Disclaimer]

The comment that retailers haven’t updated their systems is nonsense. We’ve had a project on this for several years(as it is pan European) and there have been ramp up steps for months. Visa and Mastercard have been having regular calls as the UK has ramped up to 100%.

If Baclarycard and/or their ACS providers didn’t get their act together for new BINs(the first 4/8 digits on your cards), that is on them – not the retailers. You will only see a 3DS challenge IF your bank forces it. As a retailer we can say “Okay, don’t challenge this customer, we will take the fraud liability”, and the bank can still reject that and force a challenge.

Yes, some retailers can force a challenge(which makes sense for large value purchases), but the display and handling of a challenge is managed by the ACS provider. There are clear guidance for how iFrames etc should be handled.

The BIN is the first 6 digits of your card number, not the first 4/8. You cannot store digits in between the first 6 and last 4 (e.g. 7-12 for Visa/MC, 7-11 for Amex).

Either way, this is a Barclaycard issue as they’re not dealing with the 3DS challenge correctly.

I’ve been using it behind Bendy which works fine for 3DS for online payments.

nw8727 22 posts

Glad to know i’m not the only person having these issues!

Strangely if you need to pay your TV licence, it works on that website fine!

KiteFlyer 14 posts

3DS not working so unable to use card via paypal – what use is sending this card in this state? AND charging me £20 a month for the privilege of a card I cant use? Time for a call I think.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.