Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• marks7389 425 posts

Not only has their partner seemingly gone rogue

What makes you say that?

marks7389 425 posts

I’ve never had an Amex card before, and I never will again.

I would refrain from such a knee jerk reaction as your best form of payback is churning for the points.

Not to mention that it’s a good card to keep in the long run for the value of the voucher, especially if you’re looking to redeem Avios for BA long haul in premium classes.

PaulP 9 posts

@marks7389 – “Refreshing the ‘BA linked’ page at any point during the application process appears to take you to the ‘normal’ Amex application page and not back to the BA page.”

That doesn’t seem to be the case for me. Refreshing retains the CPID number in the URL, in both Edge and Chrome.

Yup, but nothing else explains it. They say I signed up from a different URL, but I only applied because of the HfP post, so I definitely went via the correct link. There’s no accountability and the entire thing is distasteful and a mess. Why would I continue to engage with such a sh*tshow?

PaulP 9 posts

I think I will record the screen whilst I sign up. Probably the only point blank evidence thatll suffice.

I hope that works for you! They seem completely impervious to evidence.

PaulP 9 posts

That doesn’t seem to be the case for me. Refreshing retains the CPID number in the URL, in both Edge and Chrome.

In my testing, I’d agree. But then what? They claim I signed up from a different URL. I’ve never had an Amex card. I only signed up because of the HfP page, and I definitely followed their link.

It’s facile and disingenuous and insulting. There’s a completely free, open offer and they accuse me of deliberately *not* using it. Why would I deal with this company?

JDB 4,341 posts

What makes you say that?

BA has gone out with an offer not matched at Amex, cutting out regular Amex intermediaries such as HfP and at the same time as Amex has an expensive hard copy mailing to sell BAPP cards at 36k + 12k for the referrer; that will flop. The offer by BA is even open to non BAEC members as long as they sign up. Amex is taking a fairly hard line on the 70k vs 35k. None of this sounds like partners working together.

marks7389 425 posts

What makes you say that?

BA has gone out with an offer not matched at Amex, cutting out regular Amex intermediaries such as HfP and at the same time as Amex has an expensive hard copy mailing to sell BAPP cards at 36k + 12k for the referrer; that will flop. The offer by BA is even open to non BAEC members as long as they sign up. Amex is taking a fairly hard line on the 70k vs 35k. None of this sounds like partners working together.

We’re obviously (presumably, in your case) not party to what the contract between BA and Amex allows, but I can’t see how BA could have offered the 70K sign-up bonus without Amex at least being involved in setting it up – even if BA is taking the hit on the Avios awarded. I agree it sounds like a bit of a screw-up but surely not one that Amex shouldn’t have seen coming.

rohitvishnu 3 posts

Signed up from the BA website last week, got the card today. Logged in and i can see the 70k bonus and 241 listed on my dashboard as card bonuses. Seems to be working.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Signed up from the BA website last week, got the card today. Logged in and i can see the 70k bonus and 241 listed on my dashboard as card bonuses. Seems to be working.

Same here. 70k bonus tracking appeared on app first time.

JDB 4,341 posts

@marks7389 maybe Amex saw it coming as you suggest, but it’s very strange that on the very day Amex launches a SUB increased from 25k to 35k, organises an expensive mail shot with an enhanced referral offer and enlists the support of its friends including HfP to publicise the improved deal open for about five weeks, your airline business partner ups the SUB to 70k blowing all your efforts out of the water. Hmm.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

What makes you say that?

@JDB
    , the 70k counter is running in Amex website. So it doesn’t look like BA has gone rogue. Instead Amex seems to be willingly trying a new marketing channel.

Aston100 1,385 posts

Surely it is Amex that are benefitting from BA’s decision to subsidise the 70k SUB?

JDB 4,341 posts

@JDB
    , the 70k counter is running in Amex website. So it doesn’t look like BA has gone rogue. Instead Amex seems to be willingly trying a new marketing channel.

I’m fully aware of that and posted about it when this started. Nevertheless, I think you will find that things are a little testy between the parties at present about this and other obvious issues.

It’s also rather apparent to Amex that too many people who belatedly discovered the 70k offer are now claiming they used the BA link when they didn’t which will complicate things for those genuinely affected.

Tom2 113 posts

I’m intrigued how you think the 70k offer was setup by BA without Amex knowing what was going on JDB. The deal will have been setup by Amex.

I would say the miscommunication will be within Amex departments with whoever was in charge of pushing the 35k plus 12k referral offer not being made aware of the BA special signup bonus they were about to launch.

You have sited that Amex being strict on enforcing the 35k if the tracking does not suggest the correct link was used as evidence that Amex aren’t happy about what has happened but Amex have always been strict on this type of thing, just as they are strict on people who miss time the 2 year gap by as little as a day, even when customer service have told them the 2 year gap has been met, don’t get the sign up bonuses again.

Harrier25 851 posts

It’s certainly become an absolute mess and will probably drag on for years to come with the Financial Ombudsman Service, just like the Creation/IHG fiasco.

tankmc 8 posts

Looking for advice on what to do next.

I am having the same issue as others on here. I signed up using the email link i was sent from BA. After signing up I didnt see the offer so I called AMEX and they confirmed I was enrolled in the promotion. I have reached my 3k spend and only been credited 35k.

After spending 3 hours talking to Amex I am still no further down the line. Currently the excuses I have had so far are-

1. Amex are point refusing to acknowledge that I spoke to a college who confirmed I was enroled in the offer
    2. They are saying I should have logged in before clicking the link
    3. They are also saying I am not eligible for the offer because I have an AmEx gold card
    4. They are saying the offer is nothing to do with them and its BAs responsibility

What’s my next steps? I have request a copy of the call but I doubt I will hear back or they will make up another excuse

mrcrsearle 99 posts

I think a lot of people signed up for 35k points then realised there was another offer of 75k. Feeling like they have been mugged… making out they signed up for 70k hahaha. I done the same with Virgin Atlantic – it didnt work.

I signed up to the 70k offer. Card came within 48 hours & 70k offer was showing on the app within a week.

If youre not happy with the points, just cancel the card.

jh785 4 posts

I think a lot of people signed up for 35k points then realised there was another offer of 75k. Feeling like they have been mugged… making out they signed up for 70k hahaha. I done the same with Virgin Atlantic – it didnt work.

I signed up to the 70k offer. Card came within 48 hours & 70k offer was showing on the app within a week.

If youre not happy with the points, just cancel the card.

What link did you use? And did you have to log into BA exec account?

mrcrsearle 99 posts

I used the link which was on this forum. When you clicked the link it stated 70k points. When my card arrived I rang Amex & was told 70k points offer was valid. £3k spend within 3 months.

No never did log in to the BA exec app. Only recently.. maybe 2 days before statement date I did to see my balance.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

I’m fully aware of that and posted about it when this started. Nevertheless, I think you will find that things are a little testy between the parties at present about this and other obvious issues.

He may not be wrong ….

Simey 134 posts

I applied on Thursday, got confirmed on Friday. Got my card today and 70k showed up.

I logged in on the BA site, then applied and not refreshed through the link.

jjoohhnn 28 posts

Data point: my mother is tracking at 70K on the amex site and she ticked the box in the application that said she didn’t have a BAEC account. So having a BAEC account is clearly not a prerequisite to receiving the 70K SUB.

iamlost 108 posts

So as long as cpid=100504447 was in the URL of every stage of my application, I should be good for 70k – right?

aq.1988 456 posts

I’ve got the 70k bonus showing on the app, but none of my cleared transactions are reflected in the £3k/£10k target, and haven’t received any avios for that spend either.

Anyone else having this?

I received the 3k for adding the supp card immediately.

davefl 1,217 posts

From what I can see the tracker runs 2-3 days behind the day the transaction is cleared. YMMV.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.