Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club A380 – best business class seats for a couple

• sturgeon 187 posts

I have a return flight in BA’s A380 coming up. I saw the Ying Yang configuration on a flight about 4 years ago and thought it was laughable (I was traveling WTP) but now I’m flying it! I can’t find any other reward flights on different jets.

I have no status so can’t prebook seats.

As a couple, which seats are best? We’d prefer not to climb over strangers to get out the seat. The HFP guide to seats on this aircraft suggested window seats to avoid this, one aisle and one window facing each other (although one of you needs to sit in the zero privacy aisle seat) but then comments in the article said this isn’t correct and you’d still need to climb over strangers.

If we will be clambering over others regardless, are the 2 central seats on the lower deck actually more private than all others for a couple?

I just really don’t fancy the super exposed aisle seats. Maybe 2 x window seats in front of each other for more privacy but still having to climb over someone? When beds are in flat mode how easy is it to climb over without disturbing them or do you need to wake people up?!

I know the upper deck is a bit smaller but mostly has the same issues. The HFP article mentioned some seats in row 14 not requiring the climbing over strangers but it makes no sense why that would be the case from the seating plan.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

If you have a window/aisle pair where the window seat faces the bulkhead you don’t have to climb over any strangers, and they don’t climb over you. The window seat is very private indeed, the aisle not so much! A few years ago we flew back from JFK in the old CW and because we didn’t pay to select our seats, got the last choice which was the last row but that actually turned out to be the best (well, for me who got the window seat and a relatively good night’s sleep!)

Birdy 20 posts

53A+B or J+K are our preferred seats. They are in the last row of the front upperdeck cabin and the person in the window seat doesn’t have to climb over anybody. 59A+B or J+K are similar in the rear upperdeck cabin. We have status and can reserve seats when we book so no experience of what might be left at check in.

FWIW, I don’t rate CS and prefer the CW seat. I find the CS seat really uncomfortable for sleeping on an overnight flight (I am 5′ tall and petite so not a space issue). As I usually travel with Mr Birdy, CW is also better for chatting and eating together.

sturgeon 187 posts

If you have a window/aisle pair where the window seat faces the bulkhead you don’t have to climb over any strangers, and they don’t climb over you. The window seat is very private indeed, the aisle not so much! A few years ago we flew back from JFK in the old CW and because we didn’t pay to select our seats, got the last choice which was the last row but that actually turned out to be the best (well, for me who got the window seat and a relatively good night’s sleep!)

Thank you. Any idea what rows these are?

sturgeon 187 posts

53A+B or J+K are our preferred seats. They are in the last row of the front upperdeck cabin and the person in the window seat doesn’t have to climb over anybody. 59A+B or J+K are similar in the rear upperdeck cabin. We have status and can reserve seats when we book so no experience of what might be left at check in.

FWIW, I don’t rate CS and prefer the CW seat. I find the CS seat really uncomfortable for sleeping on an overnight flight (I am 5′ tall and petite so not a space issue). As I usually travel with Mr Birdy, CW is also better for chatting and eating together.

Thank you. If I could avoid CW on this aircraft I would. However it was the only flight available on the companion voucher and it seems BA are mostly flying the a380 to Dubai later this year as I imagine it’s a popular route.

I’m a big Virgin Atlantic fan but hate their old seat too. At least there’s no climbing over strangers involved!

Thegasman 204 posts

“Climbing” over isn’t really a big deal if you are of average height & mobility. It’s more a step over.

I’m also in the camp who prefer CW to CS, especially on a night flight where you get a bigger area to sleep on & the ability to face backwards giving slight head up angle.

Downsides of CW are smaller IFE screen and less storage around seat (not if you have a sidebin though).

As a couple overnight take a rear facing middle pair downstairs. Very private & almost like a double bed!

VerdantBacon 141 posts

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a

This website accurately shows seat plans that look more like the physical seat, you can plan which seats you want using this

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

+1 – I am hopeless with aircraft types! You can also see which are the bulkhead rows in MMB when you go to the option to select your seat.

sturgeon 187 posts

This website accurately shows seat plans that look more like the physical seat, you can plan which seats you want using this

Thank you. It’s still hard to fathom where you’re stepping over others from this chart. Is is the headrest side you’re stepping out from I’m guessing?

The two middle seats may be better assuming they’re still available. If not, what’s the next best option to maximise privacy for each of us? Two window seats behind each other? Are the aisle seats really that awfully exposed?

Good to know you’re not ‘climbing’ and more stepping over someone. I assume they don’t need to get up to let you out.

yorkshireRich 187 posts

Another vote for 59.
    Although I read a post on a social media site last night that people were saying 52 and 53 were the best so trying that this time.

Birdy 20 posts

All window seats involve stepping over someone apart from rows 53,59 and 15. I prefer row 53 over 59 but have never tried lower deck row 15. 53 or 59 A + K would give you both a window seat that doesn’t involve climbing over anyone.

I prefer to share the divider with my travelling companion in a window pair than with strangers in the aisle seats as you would if you took a middle pair. Only the last row 15 doesn’t need you to climb over anyone.

I usually take the window and Mr Birdy the aisle and he doesn’t find it too exposed or lack of privacy to be an issue. We fly to JNB which is overnight, and the cabin is fairly quiet with not much moving around as people are mostly sleeping. It might be different on a day flight.

John 1,000 posts

Upper deck window as you get the window side bins for extra storage

Tracey 210 posts

We take the middle seats when travelling as a couple. If it’s a day flight then often one or other side that would require stepping over isn’t in full bed mode. It’s far easier to talk to your partner if you are next to each other than Yong Yang. Aisle seats always seem very exposed.

I also feel that couples should book the middle seats as they are really undesirable seats for single travellers, but maybe I’m being more considerate than I need to be.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

Thank you. It’s still hard to fathom where you’re stepping over others from this chart. Is is the headrest side you’re stepping out from I’m guessing?

The two middle seats may be better assuming they’re still available. If not, what’s the next best option to maximise privacy for each of us? Two window seats behind each other? Are the aisle seats really that awfully exposed?

Good to know you’re not ‘climbing’ and more stepping over someone. I assume they don’t need to get up to let you out.

The horizontal notch in front of every seat is the footrest that comes out. Basically, if you’re looking at window seats, the window person must always climb over the feet of the row behind. This is why a lot of people like to go in the last row, as the window seat will have nobody to climb over as there’s no more seats. But even in this position, the person who takes the aisle seat will have the window seat of the row in front, climbing over their feet.

I don’t believe it’s possible to sit together in such a way that avoids either someone must climb over a stranger’s feet, or a stranger will climb over someone’s feet in CW

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.